Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Converting Post VF-TR to UMC 750

Hey yall,

I am attempting to update a generic Haas VF- TR post to accommodate my UMC 750. I have all the rotary axis and directions set, but I am getting this weird rapid motion between operations when the rotary repositions, instead of retracting and doing one single rotation, it seems to be attempting to track the x,y,z moves with the rotation. See the attached NC code, I've deleted a lot of the fluff to make it easier to read. 

I am fairly green at post editing, where do I need to be looking in the post to fix this?

Thank you!

Cole

haas post test vftr.NC

Generic Haas VF-TR_Series 5X Mill.pst

With the "Null Toolchange" Post Block in the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post, there is a logic condition at the very top, which checks for several conditions.

(I'm talking about 'p_goto_strt_ntl', not the 'ptlchg0$' block.)

Those conditions are as follows:

• if the Work Offset Value does not equal the Previous Work Offset [workofs$ <> prv_workofs$]
  • if Top Map is enabled, and the current value of 'n_tpln_mch' does not equal the previous value of 'n_tpln_mch'. [top_map & (prv_n_tpln_mch <> n_tpln_mch)]
  • if Primary Rotary Axis has moved [prv_p_abs <> fmtrnd(p_abs) OR if Secondary Rotary Axis has moved [prv_s_abs <> fmtrnd(s_abs)]

So, 'Null Tool Change' should already "detect" if there is a B or C motion. It uses the last "OR" condition in that complex "if" statement, to detect the change in Rotary Position.

In this Null Tool Change Block, you'll see two comments:

##### Custom changes allowed below #####
      ##### Stop custom changes #####

Make the changes you need in-between these comment lines, and you won't "break" anything.

Try adding just a "String Literal Comment" to identify 'where in the post' your output is coming from. I find this much easier to do, than run a 5-Axis Post through the Post Debugger.

Example:

##### Custom changes allowed below #####

if n_tpln_mch > m_one, #Toolplane mapping mode
          [
          #Enter your mapping scheme here...
          "THIS IS THE IF CONDITION TRUE", e$
          pg68_map
          pbld, n$, pwcs, sgabsinc, *xabs_s, *yabs_s, *zabs_s, *p_out, *s_out, e$
          pg68
          pbld, n$, *xout, *yout, *zout, e$
          ]
        else,
          [
          "THIS IS THE ELSE CONDITION TRUE", e$
          pbld, n$, pwcs, sgabsinc, *xout, *yout, *zout, *p_out, *s_out, e$
          ]

##### Stop custom changes #####

Notice that I broke the "Else" result into a "User Defined Post Block". ( [  ] ) 

That allows "multiple lines of output", from a single "True" condition. That is the reason you see the Square Brackets on the lines that follow the "If" condition.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 7/8/2022 at 6:39 PM, JAGUILAR24 said:

Hey Colin, I am attempting to do the same for the generic vf tr post for our new Haas UMC500. How did you implement TCPC and DWO output? And how did you change the A and B axis output to B and C? Any help is much appreciated!

Adjusting the axis combo is all done in the 5 axis rotary settings of the post, see attached file. As far as TCPC goes, we don't have full 5-axis Mastercam, so I didn't have to mess with that.

With DWO, the easiest solution I came up with is to have a "G253" posted on the same line as all the x,y,z,b,c  positioning codes at any rotation. I made a macro and aliased G253 to that Macro. On the machine, the G253 macro performs the following functions- turns off DWO, positions the B,C axis, turns DWO on, positions x,y, then finally positions the Z. I like using the macro over having the post do all the work because I have evolved that macro to control many other functions, specifically, it now logically controls rotations to go the shortest distance possible. For example, where the post may output a "C360." then a "C0." the macro recognizes this as the same position and nulls the rotation. I'm sure you could get the post to do this, but I am not proficient enough with post editing to figure out how to do this. Let me know if you want me to post my Macro.

5-axis settings.txt

On 7/13/2022 at 12:46 PM, ADV_Cole97 said:

Adjusting the axis combo is all done in the 5 axis rotary settings of the post, see attached file. As far as TCPC goes, we don't have full 5-axis Mastercam, so I didn't have to mess with that.

With DWO, the easiest solution I came up with is to have a "G253" posted on the same line as all the x,y,z,b,c  positioning codes at any rotation. I made a macro and aliased G253 to that Macro. On the machine, the G253 macro performs the following functions- turns off DWO, positions the B,C axis, turns DWO on, positions x,y, then finally positions the Z. I like using the macro over having the post do all the work because I have evolved that macro to control many other functions, specifically, it now logically controls rotations to go the shortest distance possible. For example, where the post may output a "C360." then a "C0." the macro recognizes this as the same position and nulls the rotation. I'm sure you could get the post to do this, but I am not proficient enough with post editing to figure out how to do this. Let me know if you want me to post my Macro.

5-axis settings.txt 9.02 kB · 9 downloads

Thanks Cole, this was really helpful! 

I'm still getting my foot in the door to the world of macros. I would like to try it if you're good with posting it. 

Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Cole,

I'm attempting to do the same thing. I cant seem to figure out how to get the "tracking" on the retract to stop. It post out a ton of short rapid moves instead of one retract and rotation. How did you over come this?

Also, can you explain your macro in a bit more detail? I want to try an make something that works similarly.   

Can you post an example of the code that is being output? if I remember right, I had issues with fragmented lines coming from the "p_nobrk_emul" command, but it was awhile ago and cant remember for sure. Your best bet is to run the post in debug mode, and find where in the post those erroneous lines are coming from and go from there.  

Here is my macro simplified. I have it post a G253 (which is aliased to program O09010) on the same line anytime a rotation takes place. G253 passes all letter variables into variables #1-#26 where they can be recalled in the Macro. All the macro is doing is executing the DWO commands and motion commands in the proper order as required by Haas. 

Main program-

T1 M6
G187 P2 E.01
M01
G253 G0 G54 G90 X-.6208 Y-2.1735 C0. B0. S1337 M3

Macro (G253)-

%
O09010 (G253 ALIAS) 
G255 
G90 
S#19 M03 
G00 B#2 C#3
G254 
X#24 Y#25 
M99 
%

• 4 months later...
El 16/09/2022 a las 00:21, ADV_Cole97 dijo:

Muy bien, creo que lo descubrí para ti, línea 516 "brk_max_ang: 1" cambia esto a cero.

919748915_brkmaxang.PNG.40f02380ddfe04c17436f6e02d73a094.PNG  

También querrá establecer los límites de ángulo del eje giratorio de la máquina para que no intente posicionar en un ángulo que esté más allá de su recorrido.

Is that value better to set to 0, or set to -40?