Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stumped

So not a Guru

Guys, I'm stumped by this one. the orange surfaces are what I need to cut, and the blue surfaces need to be avoided. We are limited in reach, so i can't tilt it over in a manner that would allow me to reach it with a ball or tapered cutter. I tried morph, lock to 3 axis, but that didn't work either.

If anyone can offer suggestions, I would be grateful.

This is, of course, a limited section of the whole part.

TOUGH-ONE.mcam

You need 2021 to move the UV on the surface for the flowline path. The issue is the different UV on the toolpath make flowline hard to use in this situation. Morph between 2 curves is you best bet. Take the lower ARC and transform up to the top of the area to be cut. Now you have the 2 curves needed to make the toolpath easy peasy. Problem is the tool is going to hit the surface trying to cut the surface like you have it. You will need to relive the neck more to get the correct clearance. Don't forget to uncheck the extend tools to infinity in the collision avoidance settings on Morph.

Here is a link to the file.

5th Axis Answer

• Thanks 1

You can get at most of this with your slotting tool and a nice parallel, but I think that the pink fillet surface highlighted in my example file attached is going to be physically impossible to finish machine with this tool. You have to tilt off to clear the walls and reach the back of the undercut, but that'll put the tool through the floor area. So, we need different flute geometry, different shank geometry, or a second op to come in with a ball tool at an angle and clean up that pink surface. The latter wouldn't be too bad- just do the attached example parallel, add some tilt off, but only go down to the pink surface and then take care of the rest with a ball, if you can manage the tilt.

TOUGH-ONE_DGG.mcam

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

You can get at most of this with your slotting tool and a nice parallel, but I think that the pink fillet surface highlighted in my example file attached is going to be physically impossible to finish machine with this tool. You have to tilt off to clear the walls and reach the back of the undercut, but that'll put the tool through the floor area. So, we need different flute geometry, different shank geometry, or a second op to come in with a ball tool at an angle and clean up that pink surface. The latter wouldn't be too bad- just do the attached example parallel, add some tilt off, but only go down to the pink surface and then take care of the rest with a ball, if you can manage the tilt.

TOUGH-ONE_DGG.mcam

That one hits the surfaces that need to be avoided though, even with the reduced shank. How did you get the tool to follow the entry line in & out?

Right, you'd need a tiny shank size vs that cutter size to make it viable.

I set the clearance plane in Linking to be along user defined line, and just used that approximate wireframe line to get the retract in that direction. Make sure to turn your incremental lifts down if you want to use a method like this!

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

TOUGH-ONE_DGG.mcam

Excellent method.

14 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

That one hits the surfaces that need to be avoided though, even with the reduced shank. How did you get the tool to follow the entry line in & out?

So how much angle do we have to play with. I was understanding you wanted to stay locked in the plane you were in. We can get some tilt then the original toolpath I threw up will work. Do you want to tilt one way using a 4 Axis process or can we have full 5 Axis and maybe limit the travel to a conic zone of 20 degrees using the floor as our normal to derive it from? 

Just now, crazy^millman said:

So how much angle do we have to play with. I was understanding you wanted to stay locked in the plane you were in. We can get some tilt then the original toolpath I threw up will work. Do you want to tilt one way using a 4 Axis process or can we have full 5 Axis and maybe limit the travel to a conic zone of 20 degrees using the floor as our normal to derive it from? 

It's a full 5X machine, a Mazak i800 Variaxis, so I can tilt it some, just not enough to get to it with a ball, the head would run into the trunnion on it's way, not to mention that it doesn't have enough Z travel to reach it.

I think the 20° conic zone might work, but I have no idea how to do that.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:52 AM, So not a Guru said:

It's a full 5X machine, a Mazak i800 Variaxis, so I can tilt it some, just not enough to get to it with a ball, the head would run into the trunnion on it's way, not to mention that it doesn't have enough Z travel to reach it.

I think the 20° conic zone might work, but I have no idea how to do that.

Make a normal line to the floor. Then in the limits you use that line as the line for the conic limits. I use it all the time, but the problem is that tool just doesn't have the clearance needed to machine the feature. I think you will have use a ball endmill and try it that way or make that shank extremely small to use that tool. Not an east feature to machine.

4 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Make a normal line to the floor. Then in the limits you use that line as the line for the conic limits

I got something similar using this, but while it cuts the surfaces, it also gouges out the floor.Capture1.PNG.71282c7d6dd903daac3aa05a1be0e8d2.PNG

You ain't kidding about it being difficult. I think I really screwed the pooch on this one, I hadn't noticed this one feature when they asked me if we could do it. Now, I think I'm going to have to tell them we just wasted $10,000 on material, because I can't make it. Not my best day.

8 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

I got something similar using this, but while it cuts the surfaces, it also gouges out the floor.

Correct, which is a good example of why the default Collision control strategy is Trim and Relink, to flute. This prevents these kinds of gouges which are most common for users when they try to drive a large tool into a small corner. I used a Retract along Surface Normal in that example to get it to lift away, but we have that impossible area to reach at the back point of the undercut no matter what strategy combo we use.

22 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

I got something similar using this, but while it cuts the surfaces, it also gouges out the floor.Capture1.PNG.71282c7d6dd903daac3aa05a1be0e8d2.PNG

You ain't kidding about it being difficult. I think I really screwed the pooch on this one, I hadn't noticed this one feature when they asked me if we could do it. Now, I think I'm going to have to tell them we just wasted $10,000 on material, because I can't make it. Not my best day.

No Zeke you can make this part. You have the way to do this I will not let you fail. Do you have a tool grinder at your shop to make the shank smaller if so what I attached will get the job done. Make the shank about .100 x .75 long and baby this thing taking only .001 at a time. You got this. The floor I would do with a ball endmill. Rough as much as you can out with a ball endmill 1st as well.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

No Zeke you can make this part. You have the way to do this I will not let you fail

I haven't given up yet😁

We can get custom ground tools, but I'm not sure yet that it can't be done with the original one.

4 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Rough as much as you can out with a ball endmill 1st as well

That is my intent as well.

Thanks for the guidance, and especially for the encouragement. I get frustrated sometimes, but it's a very rare occasion that I give up.

• Like 1