Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

AutoCursor

So not a Guru

How does this work?

I want to create a manual spline, with the cursor select locked to nearest, but I've never been able to figure out how to do it.

How I've done it, up till now, is I have a RMB snap sub menu with several selection choices, one of which is nearest. Then I have to right-click & select for each point. As you can imagine, this makes for a lot of clicks to create a spline.

What I normally do when creating my own splines is make points on the edges or curves I am using ti help me. I then use lock to point and make them that way. The problem with nearest is by the very name itself nearest to what? What choices do you have on in the auto cursor settings? That is what it will be nearest to. Try turning off everything expect the one thing you want to be nearest to in the auto cursor settings to see if that helps.

3 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

What I normally do when creating my own splines is make points on the edges or curves I am using ti help me. I then use lock to point and make them that way. The problem with nearest is by the very name itself nearest to what? What choices do you have on in the auto cursor settings? That is what it will be nearest to. Try turning off everything expect the one thing you want to be nearest to in the auto cursor settings to see if that helps.

I meant that I don't understand how to lock the autocursor, to any selection type. I don't know the steps to engage the cursor lock functionality. I've done some Googling, but I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Just now, So not a Guru said:

I meant that I don't understand how to lock the autocursor, to any selection type. I don't know the steps to engage the cursor lock functionality. I've done some Googling, but I haven't been able to find anything on it.

It's on the little transparent dialog in the upper center of the viewport, it might be gear shaped or something, the icon

Ill take a screenshot when I get back to my desk

On 10/7/2020 at 5:37 AM, So not a Guru said:

Here is my RMB with them added to it and it has been that way since they were introduced.

image.png.eb97a7c81e78f28d77334a3529765028.pngimage.png.e4497eea79145005b0167b8b5b54214e.png

I had to think about what you were asking for a few minutes. Yes the way Mastercam has anyone go about locking an Autocursor is cumbersome. Why I added them to my RMB all those years ago. To make any Autocursor lock that can lock you first must pick that Autocursor from the Autocursor drop down. Then the lock icon will become active. You then have to pick that lock to get that Autocursor function to lock.

image.png.999eca984bb7566d66c3b3526cedb01c.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hi Zeke,

Are you aware of the "Auto" options for making new Splines from a series of Points? With this command, you only have to select the "first, second, and last point", and the function will just search for the "next nearest point', until it reaches the "last point".

This means if you want to create a "closed spline", you simply click the "1st point, 2nd point, and then 1st point again", and the function will create the spline through the series of "nearest points". I typically select all the points I want to use for the Auto function, hit "ALT + E" to hide everything except the points, then use that Auto Spline function to create what I need...

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, xeyedsurfer99 said:

Is this auto "first, second, and last point" selection method, still possible when selecting drill points in versions since X9?

This selection method is specific to creating Splines. There are many other methods for selecting Drill Points, however this is not one of them.

I recommend using the Window selection method if you have many points, then using the Point Sorting options to determine how you move from point-to-point. 

• Like 1