Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Area Rough - Stay away from the inside

andyjobo2

I am trying to use the 3D operation Area Rough to clear away material before I can perform a Waterline on the part. I only want the area rough to clear material away from the upper/outside of the part, but no matter what I do it still generates toolpaths on the inside hole section . I don't need the machine to go there, because this material was already cleared away while cutting the opposite side of the part during a prior setup.

Please advise. Is there a parameter option that can tell the machine to stay away from the inside region?

Area Rough Stay Away From Inside.jpg

34 minutes ago, andyjobo2 said:

I am trying to use the 3D operation Area Rough to clear away material before I can perform a Waterline on the part. I only want the area rough to clear material away from the upper/outside of the part, but no matter what I do it still generates toolpaths on the inside hole section . I don't need the machine to go there, because this material was already cleared away while cutting the opposite side of the part during a prior setup.

Please advise. Is there a parameter option that can tell the machine to stay away from the inside region?

Area Rough Stay Away From Inside.jpg

You may have already done some of these next suggestion. Make a stock model of the starting stock. Make the Boundary 3X larger than the diameter of the tool. Then in the 3D OPTI-Rough use the stock model. Make a stock modle after the operation is done usign that operation as the source operation. Now drive the next toolpath from that stock model. Reember the mushroom effect with stock models. The ID might be removed in the previous operation, but the Mushroom stock model doesn't look that far. It looks at the starting stock and proejcts it all the way through a part if ti s can. In this case if can so it thinks as it is movig nalong there is stock even thought logically you can see there is not. The only way to avoid this is etiehr make a surface over the area or stop after the cut has been made deep enough and make a new stock model and go from there. That stock model at the break through will prevent it from wanting to cut the ID, but if stock is above it then the mushroom kicks in and it cut the biggest part of the mushroom to the floor. Be it an otusdie mushroom shape or in this case an ID mushroom shape. 

Can you use 3D HST Dynamic OptiRough?  In MC2021, there is a new OptiRough parameter to allow you to skip pockets - when cutting from the outside, you can skip all pockets.  In OptiRough, this parameter is found on the Toolpath Control page.

This parameter isn't available in 3D HST Area Roughing.