Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2021 Solid Deselect one hole

crazy^millman

Okay I have a part with 600 holes and need to deselect one hole. I used solid selection to pick them which was slick, but one hole is my Datum C hole and I need to drill it deeper and have it in a separate operation. Has anyone found a way to deselect one hole when you have used the solid selection process to pick features. My only thinking is redo picking each one one by one or delete the point out of the NC code by hand. Issue it this is for a rocket part that NASA certifies and they don't take kindly to any hand edited programs. :cry:

Anyone found a way to highlight a solid selection from the tree like we use to be able to with points? Be nice to highlight the point and have it delete, but that does work either. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Jparis no need to pile on about solid selection. 🤨

Thank you for any suggestions though I doubt I will get much this late on a Friday. Have a good weekend and yes I started the process of picking them one by one. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I had a better Idea I will make a copy of the solid with that one hole removed and use it to drive the toolpath for that one drilling operation and done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ron, I just tried this in 2020......simply re-pick the solid feature you used to select the hole...

I only had 3 holes but I selected them, generated the path, opened it up and re-selected edge and it was removed

9 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Jparis no need to pile on about solid selection.

Booooo  LMAO  :D

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Corey Hampshire said:

Could you use model prep/change face to make them all the same color except the odd ball and then use the quick mask to select them?

I will have to check that method another day. Thank you for the suggestion.  :thumbup:

11 minutes ago, JParis said:

Ron, I just tried this in 2020......simply re-pick the solid feature you used to select the hole...

I only had 3 holes but I selected them, generated the path, opened it up and re-selected edge and it was removed

Booooo  LMAO  :D

2020 try it in 2021 with the solid feature not a solid arc. They are flat bottom holes and one of the them is flat bottom for .0165.

Glad you got I was kidding around with you. 😀:thumbsup:

• Like 2

JP's got it.  I didn't see it this weekend, sorry Ron, but yeah, no matter how you chose the geometry (and it doesn't matter if it's points, lines, solid arcs, solids), you can always just click on it in the graphics view to unselect something.   Click to select, click to unselect.   

You can also select it in the panel's geometry list and just hit delete or right click > delete to remove it from your list.

54 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

JP's got it.  I didn't see it this weekend, sorry Ron, but yeah, no matter how you chose the geometry (and it doesn't matter if it's points, lines, solid arcs, solids), you can always just click on it in the graphics view to unselect something.   Click to select, click to unselect.   

You can also select it in the panel's geometry list and just hit delete or right click > delete to remove it from your list.

What I thought and have done on other parts. However that was not working it kept wanting to flip it the vector, but not deselect it. After 30 minutes of trying different things I posted this topic and sent the screen shots to QC. I was about to go pick them one by one when the idea of just making a copy of the solid without the one hole popped in my mind. That got the job done and I was able to submit it Saturday morning. My method for picking them is using the Click-Ctrl-Shift for all common features. Like I said that was working very slick until I ran into this situation and in all my years of making holes this has to be the first time I have every seen someone make a clearance hole and then a datum hole below it with such small flat bottom. I could have just not worried about it and let the NC program drill the hole twice and no one would have been the wiser to it, but not how I do things.

Funny thing is this morning I went back to the file and it is allowing me to deselect it. That is the thing when you are trying to get something done we don't have time to shut down the software and just see if that will work. We need to get the job done and after 14 hours something that should work should do that just work and for what ever reason it was not. I know of no way to duplicate it and oh well sorry you lost that time on Friday you will not be paid for. 🙄

32 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Funny thing is this morning I went back to the file and it is allowing me to deselect it. 

Sometimes I am unable to select or unselect wireframe geometry via click select, but window selection will still work.

Usually resetting the blank bit fixes it.

Did you try blanking and unblanking it?

9 minutes ago, byte me said:

Sometimes I am unable to select or unselect wireframe geometry via click select, but window selection will still work.

Usually resetting the blank bit fixes it.

Did you try blanking and unblanking it?

Peter after 14 hours I was is go go mode. I normally run into these issues around Friday afternoon. My MAC address started playing the shell game and my Verification software and wasn't working either. I had to reboot the system a couple time to get it back. I have to support several different versions of software across many different customers and that along adds to my difficulty most don't have to run into. They move to 2021 and really go backward. I have to support 2019 to 2021 currently for ongoing projects. Then I have to support 3 different Verification Software and the 6 different versions between them. This is what make what I do the hardest to duplicate since that is problem less than 5% of what people do when programming. Been my story for a long time so I just keep doing my best to adapt and do my best to get it done.

Mastercam doesn't guarantee that just because an entity is visible you will be able to select it.

For example, if you were writing a chook and you blanked geometry by setting the blank bit on by calling :

sel_bit_turn_on(entity_ptr->sel,BLANK_BIT);

write_ent_sel(entity_ptr);

The geometry would most likely be no longered be rendered to the viewport.

However, if do the reverse, and call

sel_bit_turn_off(entity_ptr->sel,BLANK_BIT):

write_ent_sel(entity_ptr):

You might not see the geometry you hid earlier without a call to rebuild graphics,

I noticed this more in 2021. I had to add a call to my blankunblankallwireframe function to rebuild graphics at a major performance cost. 

3 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Peter after 14 hours I was is go go mode. I normally run into these issues around Friday afternoon. My MAC address started playing the shell game and my Verification software and wasn't working either. I had to reboot the system a couple time to get it back. I have to support several different versions of software across many different customers and that along adds to my difficulty most don't have to run into. They move to 2021 and really go backward. I have to support 2019 to 2021 currently for ongoing projects. Then I have to support 3 different Verification Software and the 6 different versions between them. This is what make what I do the hardest to duplicate since that is problem less than 5% of what people do when programming. Been my story for a long time so I just keep doing my best to adapt and do my best to get it done.

Mastercam 2021 config files have been causing me issues. It's gotten to the point where I have a zipped myMastercam and sharedmastercam folder on my desktop and I delete the original every morning and unzip a fresh one. I highly reccomend doing that.

5 minutes ago, byte me said:

Mastercam doesn't guarantee that just because an entity is visible you will be able to select it.

For example, if you were writing a chook and you blanked geometry by setting the blank bit on by calling :

sel_bit_turn_on(entity_ptr->sel,BLANK_BIT);

write_ent_sel(entity_ptr);

The geometry would most likely be no longered be rendered to the viewport.

However, if do the reverse, and call

sel_bit_turn_off(entity_ptr->sel,BLANK_BIT):

write_ent_sel(entity_ptr):

You might not see the geometry you hid earlier without a call to rebuild graphics,

I noticed this more in 2021. I had to add a call to my blankunblankallwireframe function to rebuild graphics at a major performance cost. 

Mastercam 2021 config files have been causing me issues. It's gotten to the point where I have a zipped myMastercam and sharedmastercam folder on my desktop and I delete the original every morning and unzip a fresh one. I highly reccomend doing that.

You could control that with a bat file. Make the bat delete them and then unzip and replace and schedule it through your windows if you wanted to get it automated. 😉

Been years since I made bat files for doing things like this.

Just now, crazy^millman said:

You could control that with a bat file. Make the bat delete them and then unzip and replace and schedule it through your windows if you wanted to get it automated. 😉

Been years since I made bat files for doing things like this.

That's a good idea, I'm going to look into that!