Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How or what causes this error ?

CADCAM3D5AXIS

I am cutting a bore with a .250 CEM and the bore is .500 finish for a tooling hole ,  I have done this a few times and have never had this pop up , i tried multi pass with .o3 to .o5 step over to clean out the bore  and it still refers to this error. I can cut it as a pocket  but you dont get the wear feature for ccomp to size the bore  so i would use  the contour pass and then multi pass with .05 step over  in the past but no go .  Any ideas ?

TIA

1 minute ago, CADCAM3D5AXIS said:

I am cutting a bore with a .250 CEM and the bore is .500 finish for a tooling hole ,  I have done this a few times and have never had this pop up , i tried multi pass with .o3 to .o5 step over to clean out the bore  and it still refers to this error. I can cut it as a pocket  but you dont get the wear feature for ccomp to size the bore  so i would use  the contour pass and then multi pass with .05 step over  in the past but no go .  Any ideas ?

TIA

Ummm, which error  :headscratch:

What Post are you using?

A 'String Select Function' uses the value of a Numeric Variable, to control the output of a String, from a 'String List', based on the value of 'the input variable.

Check your 'Misc. Values'. Do you happen to have a '20' left in there somewhere?

Sometimes you might have a Mastercam File with an operation, where you are now switching Machine Definitions, but haven't gone into the Operation to reset the MI/MR Values when you Post.

For example; 'miscellaneous integer #3' controls "G28 or G30" output, for Reference Return, in the MPFAN and Generic Fanuc 4X Mill Posts. If you put in any other value besides '0' or '1', the Post would report the same 'variable out of range' error.

2 hours ago, JParis said:

Typically you'll see something like that on a cycle that isn't listed in the post...

Could be coolant...in the pst file on line 2121...that'll at least tell you what's is erroring..it's coming from one of the string select tables

i Have not had a chance to look into the post to see if there is something i missed or left in or overlooked but when i had a chance i did a global edit and the MD for all the tools showed a m9 or no coolant on for the tools so i changed that and did not get the error, I thought it was a ccomp issue but when you said it may be a coolant item  one of the last things i did was add a new tool that i needed then copied the drill for that hole and changed it to a reamer and bore cycle with dwell and that is when i got the error. but as above after i checked the coolant switches globally  i did not get the error. But i will still look for that line item just to see what else there is . Thanks for the quick feedback JP

It gives me something else to look for .

:cheers:

2 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

What Post are you using?

A 'String Select Function' uses the value of a Numeric Variable, to control the output of a String, from a 'String List', based on the value of 'the input variable.

Check your 'Misc. Values'. Do you happen to have a '20' left in there somewhere?

Sometimes you might have a Mastercam File with an operation, where you are now switching Machine Definitions, but haven't gone into the Operation to reset the MI/MR Values when you Post.

For example; 'miscellaneous integer #3' controls "G28 or G30" output, for Reference Return, in the MPFAN and Generic Fanuc 4X Mill Posts. If you put in any other value besides '0' or '1', the Post would report the same 'variable out of range' error.

Hi Colin 

I am using the MPmaster  updated for MC2020 and as above its been a little busy multi tasking so i will go look over what you described and be on the look out for entries that maybe should not be there.  Is there a default list of Misc Values  and integer's availiable or are they in the Post edit Book that you can get from the dealers ?  I have been wanting  to take your Post Edit classes but once again Pretty busy and its been like that for a while , But if and when i do get some time i will have to dig into some of the finer tuning of Post's and other Goodies.

Thanks Colin     :cheers:

For your feedback It is Welcomed and Appreciated