Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sandvik Surprise

Wow, another surprise from the simulation world. 2 in as many weeks. And from a most unlikely player considering the usage. Sandvik has bought CGTech, the makers of Vericut. Is anyone surprised? I am

https://www.home.sandvik/en/news-and-media/newslist/news/2020/10/sandvik-to-acquire-software-company-cgtech/?fbclid=IwAR1CZiYaM0srnFHSpzfg6FKD-QA8ZOy2WJafsSf9JpYuHsPCGNp_9ExmoXg

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

Should be an interesting ride...

I wonder if Vericut will decide to jump into the Post Processing pool now?

I would be surprised if they did. It isn't their area of interest. It sure was a surprise, this news.

I hope it doesn't affect the team in Irvine much. Among the best tech support people I have ever dealt with. Not sure where it leaves me though. :(

9 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

Should be an interesting ride...

I wonder if Vericut will decide to jump into the Post Processing pool now?

With their engine, I think a more logical next step would be to offer automated toolpathing.

13 hours ago, Mick said:

I would be surprised if they did. It isn't their area of interest. It sure was a surprise, this news.

I hope it doesn't affect the team in Irvine much. Among the best tech support people I have ever dealt with. Not sure where it leaves me though. :(

If CV-19 has taught us anything it's that a software company does not need a big fancy campus to do it's work

A robust IT system, safe storage on the cloud and trust worthy employees are all that is required to support a team of software engineers working remotely.

That beautiful campus CGTech has in Irvine is very expensive and completely unnecessary overhead.

I don't know if it's owned or leased, but it's days are numbered IMO

I bet we see a push for the optipath and force products.  Being in the tooling industry I have always seen these as underutilized and understood tools.  With some horsepower behind them they could do a lot of good out there in the field.  My feeling is that someone who is well trained in how to use those tools could very easily make a living just running around optimizing regular gravy programs for shops.  Couple what with a good foundation in tooling knowledge and it'd be dangerous.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

I bet we see a push for the optipath and force products.  Being in the tooling industry I have always seen these as underutilized and understood tools.  With some horsepower behind them they could do a lot of good out there in the field.  My feeling is that someone who is well trained in how to use those tools could very easily make a living just running around optimizing regular gravy programs for shops.  Couple what with a good foundation in tooling knowledge and it'd be dangerous.

I truly believe you are correct with your statements. 

Cool little side story... We do not use "Force" by CGTech but were involved in beta testing it prior to CGTech purchasing it. That was back in 2010 when the software was still being developed.

We have not gone the route of "Force" because of time constraints. We have been using Third Wave Systems since around that time instead.

5 hours ago, gcode said:

The press release said CGtech did 470 million Krona last year which works out to

$53.48 million

This is some serious money

This year will be considerably different. A lot of companies are hurting, and cutting expenditure, which means software, and software maintenance.

I know of two companies that were all set to purchase Vericut, and have now pulled the pin.

1 minute ago, robk said:

I truly believe you are correct with your statements. 

Cool little side story... We do not use "Force" by CGTech but were involved in beta testing it prior to CGTech purchasing it. That was back in 2010 when the software was still being developed.

We have not gone the route of "Force" because of time constraints. We have been using Third Wave Systems since around that time instead.

Force and Optipath are great. And very capable. Their only drawback is cost. They are very expensive options. I've seen some great results though.

6 minutes ago, Mick said:

Force and Optipath are great. And very capable. Their only drawback is cost. They are very expensive options. I've seen some great results though.

We only kept 1 seat of OptiPath here and I don't think anyone is using it. We're using Third Wave Systems on most projects. I really got to love it once we purchased the Third Wave XChange. So much less complicated than stand alone.

6 minutes ago, robk said:

We only kept 1 seat of OptiPath here and I don't think anyone is using it. We're using Third Wave Systems on most projects. I really got to love it once we purchased the Third Wave XChange. So much less complicated than stand alone.

Honestly, I've never heard of the Third Wave production software. I just took a look at it. It certainly looks comprehensive. How does XChange work? Is it a module within the NX application?

58 minutes ago, Mick said:

Honestly, I've never heard of the Third Wave production software. I just took a look at it. It certainly looks comprehensive. How does XChange work? Is it a module within the NX application?

Yes, you could buy a stand alone version or you could buy XChange option for a few different CAM systems. We use NX ,but it's also available for Mastercam.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek - Conventus said:

I'd love to have those to play around with, but being a small-batch prototyper I can't justify it.

You could always get a "certification license". Effectively a demo license. CGTech are always happy to provide those. They'd maybe even provided an extended demo license, so you could have a decent trial.