Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine definition warning

So not a Guru

1 minute ago, So not a Guru said:

Is this setup in MC, or do you manually save them?

I had it set up a few years ago, but it saved hundreds of files at filled my harddrive.

Autosave/Backup is a function in Mastercam configuration. I have them saved to my 2nd hard drive in a 2021_BACKUP folder and only keep 5 copies of each file. I have one for every version since it was introduced. I keep the older copies of backups on my external drives. I have had to go back to old files and pull them up to help prove things more than once. Sorry, but this burned me years ago and not something I don't think about doing.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

Is this setup in MC, or do you manually save them?

I had it set up a few years ago, but it saved hundreds of files at filled my harddrive.

I haven't used it before, but it looks like you can set a limit on how many copies it makes.

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

19 minutes ago, byte me said:

I haven't used it before, but it looks like you can set a limit on how many copies it makes.

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

Yes I set mine to 5. I know someone who sets his to 50. That only happens every time you save the file. If you use Auto save then you only lose that amount of time should you have a crash or an issue.

15 hours ago, JParis said:

Well, I suspect you will be moving forward...

I keep 5 running backup files and it's save my a$$ on more than one occasion

You are correct, it is setup now.

I did have a backup, up thru Friday, that I keep in a miscellaneous working folder while I'm still working on a file, so I lost 2 days, rather than 2 weeks, worth of work.

It is a very odd thing, the toolpath manager is completely blank, yet the file size remained the same! It appears the data is there, but somehow inaccessible.

• Like 1

Is the geometry there?

Have you tried importing from the file?

What does the database file look like?

You should make a duplicate.

Then run file->repair file

Then ctrl + shift  + right click the tool manager and dump database info.

I could write you a chook to search the database and try turning the ALIVE_BIT on the entities with geometry id's.

Flipping the blank bit might do it too.

Have you tried make a new Machiine group?

10 minutes ago, byte me said:

Is the geometry there?

Yes

11 minutes ago, byte me said:

Have you tried importing from the file?

Yes, the import dialog is empty

11 minutes ago, byte me said:

You should make a duplicate.

Then run file->repair file

Then ctrl + shift  + right click the tool manager and dump database info.

I just did, but ctrl+shift+right-click only gave the same options as simple righ-click; Floating, Docking & Hide.

CNC Software has the file, hopefully they can retrieve the data. In the meantime I'm reprogramming.

Luckily I had already posted the code & the program is running fine. I had OPS 1 & 2 complete, I just hadn't programmed the final fixture & OP3.

1 hour ago, So not a Guru said:

Yes, but absolutely nothing happens when I select the Machine definition.

Maybe the ui is buggy, an api call to create a new machine group call might do something,

do you happen to have my script manager add in installed?

I could pass you some code to try.

8 minutes ago, byte me said:

Maybe the ui is buggy, an api call to create a new machine group call might do something,

do you happen to have my script manager add in installed?

I could pass you some code to try.

I appreciate the offer, but I've got to get caught up for the time being. I might take you up on it after the fires are out.

Hi John / All,

There does seem to be an issue with merging files into 2021 Update 2.(primarily with older version parts).  We are working quickly to determine the scope of the issue and plan on releasing a new update once we have determined the root cause of this. There are multiple teams of developers working on this and it has the attention to the highest levels within the company.

We have turned off the AUS (Auto Update Service) for Update 2, until we can get a fix in place.

Steve Falusi | CNC Software, Inc. | 671 Old Post Road | Tolland, CT 06084 | USA 
Phone: 860.875.5006 | Fax: 860.872.1565 | Web: www.mastercam.com

Mastercam Forum Link

15 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

Pete, do you know if it's safe to import operations from earlier versions?

I can't say for sure, I have seen issues on toolpaths from earlier versions imported with operation geometry coming in with the wrong plane, in that case we had to resave the files.

Operations without geometry should be fine.

On 10/20/2020 at 6:24 PM, crazy^millman said:

II know someone who sets his to 50.

I live in this camp...  When I prove out a file I go delete all the backups except one from the end of each day, usually cuts it down to about 5 files.  Then once a year, or as soon as I run out of space....  I go kill all but the last one.  It's amazing how quickly this function can fill up your drive.  But it has saved my butt so many times, it's not funny.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...