Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam not genuine

Mcam Nut

5 minutes ago, Mcam Nut said:

what is the cause of this problem? 

I may be wrong but ...

at some point in time a boot leg copy of Mastercam  or a hasp emulator was installed on that machine

Your dealer can tell you how to fix this .. or as John said, you can format C, wipe the machine and rebuild it 

I ran in to a problem with MC a few (3-5yrs ago) when I was trying to update to latest version at that time. CNC Software (thru my reseller) refused to help when they found out I had a software emulator on my pc. It was a perfectly legit emulator to run perfectly legit software. Told me the only way they would provide any more help was for me to reformat my drive and re-install everything.

I got a little ticked at that, so I said screw that and continued to solve the problem on my own. Ended up being my AV/FW program got busted on the last update and never showed my that it had sandboxed the install file. I tried shutting down and even uninstalled the AV/FW program at one point and it wouldn't let it go. Once I got it sorted out in the registry all was well.rt

CNC just really pi**ed me off when they refused to help because of legal software, and they couldn't give me a reason why the emulator would cause an install problem. If they had I probably would have tried un-installing the emulator.

Long story short, stop any AV/FW programs you may have running, uninstall MC, and try re-installing again.

"...at some point in time a boot leg copy of Mastercam  or a hasp emulator was installed on that machine..."

My opinion exactly. Note that the 'genuine' warning only started appearing in MC2021 which is why you didn't see it before.

Meanwhile ...  +1 to both GCode and JParis ... even though re-formatting isn't the only fix.

Your reseller should be able to help, or they could get our Tech Support to help you.

17 minutes ago, JParis said:

Mike, Can I ask what software legitimately uses a software emulator?

😆😆 John, that was way to many years ago for me to remember the exact program, but what I do remember was that it was an old vinyl cutting program for an old vinyl cutter that a friend owned. Now this is coming from memory so some of the details may be off a little, but you should be able to get the jist of it.

The company that made the cutter didn't make software, so they  worked with a software company to produce a custom version of the software that included certain features designed to make use of special features of that cutter and sold it as a bundle. That was the only way you could get the software to run that cutter and utilize every feature of the cutter. My buddy said other owners tried other programs (even the same program, but not the custom version) and built their own profile, but they couldn't get it to work perfectly. The software that he needed to run this old vinyl cutter used an RS-232 hasp (just like MC did back in the day) and he had lost it when he moved. Well, the software company had stopped using hardware hasps at some point and had moved to a software license key. This particular printer was a commercial cutter and extremely popular for years after the last one was produced. Unfortunately the new software didn't support the cutter nor the special features, so what the software company had done was to use a hasp emulator to simulate the RS-232 hasp (which also helped those that needed to upgrade their computer and didn't have an RS-232 port) and for a fee handed the simulator out. However in order to get the emulator, you had to have the original purchase receipt for the cutter, the s/n on the hasp, and the s/n of the cutter as the two were linked together.

Because I was more computer savy then my buddy I contacted the company for him to get the emulator and installed the software and emulator on my work pc to make sure the cutter profile was there and would work before I went thru the hassle of installing it on his pc because he wasn't going to have internet for another few weeks and needed the cutter ASAP.

Now this probably happens very rarely if ever and was the 1st time I'd ever run in to such a case.

Now my understanding of machine simulator in Mastercam is that it's more of an emulator then a simulator, because it's trying to mimic the software and hardware of the machine. I would think that is the same function of Vericut, but I could be looking at that wrong.

59 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

"...at some point in time a boot leg copy of Mastercam  or a hasp emulator was installed on that machine..."

My opinion exactly. Note that the 'genuine' warning only started appearing in MC2021 which is why you didn't see it before.

Meanwhile ...  +1 to both GCode and JParis ... even though re-formatting isn't the only fix.

Your reseller should be able to help, or they could get our Tech Support to help you.

Pete, while the "genuine" warning may be new, but blaming an emulator is not new. See my post 2 above yours. Then read my reply to JP's question below your post.

Now granted, my instance was probably very rare if not the only one ever. However I did find my problem, and it wasn't the emulator as I never uninstalled it and was able to upgrade Mastercam and CNC Systems refused to help after I explained why I had the emulator. Just like when I've had a couple glitches with Mastercam and the 1st thing I get told by reseller is "It's your video card" before they even try any trouble shooting. Now their have been times when it has been my video card and I have no problem with that as long as it can be proven with reasonable certainty, but a few times I've gotten that response and I kick it back asking them to prove it before I spend $400+ on a new video card only for them to look at a few settings to find a setting that was wrong. Just imagine how irate me or any other customer would have or have been when we purchased a new card to find out it wasn't the problem.

Now my last posts may seem negative towards CNC Software and my re-seller, but they're not intended to be. I generally have great luck with my re-seller and I worked with JP often when he worked for my re-seller and he was great to work with. Just pointing out there may be other causes for any issue. Now I don't know the requirements are in order for Mastercam to throw the "genuine" warning, but is it possible that it's something else besides an emulator?

Software errors are like machine tool alarms, they are vague and usually not much help in a lot of cases. That's why I've started to learn how to read/understand the ladder as it's easier to narrow down the problem.

3 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

BBPrecise,

Send me an email at [email protected] and we'll try to get rid of that yellow warning message.

There are other reasons to get that message to show up - but if its because of the HASP emulator it's usually easily fixable.

Pete

Pete, no worries as my issue happened several years ago and found out that it was my AV/FW program being hosed. I haven't moved to 2021 yet and I don't expect any problems as I think I've uninstalled that emulator already.

Thanks for the offer though.

• 2 weeks later...

to delete mastercam completely just delete the program and all files from registry editor (regedit.exe) for the version you are deleting, no need to format your drive..

also you migh want to delete the mastercam shared folder from your documents folder as it does not get deleted while unistalling, but new instalation gives you a option to overide it.