Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

master cam 2020

Gustavc

I happened to be looking at Memory Buffering recently.  It is used in a few processing situations but it doesn't have as much of an impact as it once did (many releases ago).  I changed it to 1% and 100% and got nearly the same toolpath calculation times.  I'm considering removing it unless I find a situation in which it really helps.

2 hours ago, billb said:

I happened to be looking at Memory Buffering recently.  It is used in a few processing situations but it doesn't have as much of an impact as it once did (many releases ago).  I changed it to 1% and 100% and got nearly the same toolpath calculation times.  I'm considering removing it unless I find a situation in which it really helps.

How much RAM do you have installed on your computer to begin with Bill? Does "Memory Buffering" actually reserve memory for Mastercam, or is it just a "allow Mastercam to reserve available RAM up to this limit, when we launch a toolpath process which requires a lot of RAM"? Does Mastercam use this setting in a 'dynamic way', or is this some kind of static allocation, that is set when Mastercam boots? (Could changing the value, without actually Restarting Mastercam, have any effect on your testing of regeneration times?)

My current work laptop has 8 Gb of RAM (unfortunately), so I tend to look for any advantage I can get when using Mastercam. This includes setting "# of Threads" and "Priority" for Multi-Threading. I always set my maximum number of threads to the amount of physical cores I have available on the machine.

I've always ran the Toolpath RAM max allocation at 80-90% of the available RAM.

I have noticed that RAM isn't typically the bottleneck when processing toolpaths, at least, according to my findings when using Resource Manager. RAM usage is typically never pegged, even when regenerating simultaneous threads, or when processing single-threaded paths like Flowline in previous versions of Mastercam. It is the processor that gets maxed out at 100%, until the toolpaths finish up regenerating.

To be fair, I haven't run Resource Manager to check these things in Mastercam, since probably Mastercam 2018. So my anecdotes might no longer apply; depending on how much hot-rodding you've done under the hood of the system.

32Gb this one, 16Gb the other one.  You are right, I'll retest with smaller amounts.  

Memory buffering did play a significant role in one algorithm early on but it was re-engineered for better memory management (somewhere between V9 and X9).  The Memory buffering setting does still come into play in finish/contour, rough/pocket, rough/restmill and even some Multiaxis situations.

1 hour ago, billb said:

32Gb this one, 16Gb the other one.  You are right, I'll retest with smaller amounts.  

Memory buffering did play a significant role in one algorithm early on but it was re-engineered for better memory management (somewhere between V9 and X9).  The Memory buffering setting does still come into play in finish/contour, rough/pocket, rough/restmill and even some Multiaxis situations.

I am running 128gb so when you guys step up to the plate and start doing test with systems like this and files like I program that are 10 months projects then we can see if this is not needed, but I have a good feeling knowing I set the system to 85% of  the 128gb of memory. That setting goes away and I start seeing performance hits I am not going to be a happy customer.

Current file has 190 5 Axis operations for finishing just the upper ID section. Total operation count is well over 700 to finish the ID of the part. OD will be around 600-700 operations. Total operation count between all files is well over 2600 operations. I assume you're using files like this to test the theory correct?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ron, 

Just wanted to say that is seriously impressive.  I have no idea how you keep track of HundredS of paths to complete a part, that kinda blows my mind.  My most complicated parts may have 100 different toolpaths. Just wanted to give you a tip of the hat for all your knowledge you share here.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Rstewart said:

Ron, 

Just wanted to say that is seriously impressive.  I have no idea how you keep track of HundredS of paths to complete a part, that kinda blows my mind.  My most complicated parts may have 100 different toolpaths. Just wanted to give you a tip of the hat for all your knowledge you share here.

Check out his post about his group structure on Mastercam.com, it's good stuff.