Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is there a quick way to confirm different faces on a model are parallel?

vck

17 hours ago, vck said:

I am working on some parts that will hold some optics at subtly different angles from each other. Is there an easy way to find what other faces on the solid are parallel to the face I am about to set a plane to? Thanks.

Analyze Draft Angle gives you this ability. You should create a Plane that is normal to your Reference Surface.

To test this, I took the FUBC Upright (test part from Mastercam) model, and I rotated it 11.5 degrees in the Front Plane. (So the model's faces would not be planar to existing Gnomon Views.)

When I set my plane to one of the flat faces (where I know there are other parallel faces), here is the results.

Note, with this function, you can disable the checkboxes for Vertical, Negative, and Other, and just be left with the truly parallel surfaces (faces) on the model.

Analyze Draft Angle on UFBC Upright Example.PNG

Here is the results with only the Horizontal Surfaces displayed...

Analyze Draft Angle only Horizontal Displayed.PNG

Keep this in mind: I rotated this part out of planar alignment, by 11.5 degrees about the front plane. So this function is truly referencing the other faces, in relation to the Plane that I created, from one of the Solid Faces (after already having rotated the Solid model, and saving the part file).

• Like 4