Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

matsuura mam 72-42 pc24

If it has a 840Di control on it, pass on it. If all I had to pay was shipping to get a 840Di machine in the shop I would hesitate. Just don't buy one with that control. You don't want the headache it will give you.

Im not sure how long ago Matsuura quit making the 42V. Things like way covers & other parts might not be as available as one would hope.

1 hour ago, jas6142 said:

It does have the 840DI controller ugh.  I figured there was a catch.   Thanks for the info guys

Run. Better yet, throw a stick of dynamite at it then run.

The controls were a good idea at the time. Siemens and Yaskawa teamed up & made them. Couple of years go by, Yaskawa & Siemens got into a pissing match. Divorced happened, Siemens was left with supporting the controls & hardware. So anymore, if a Yaskawa drive goes out on one of these, you first contact Siemens and pray they have a re-manufactured one in stock. If you are luck then do, and you pay the $20,000 for the drive (they do give you $16,000 back for the core, so net cost is $4000. Tho the $16k for the core tells you that there are not many spares floating around)

If they don't have one in stock, the drive first gets shipped to Germany. Then Germany ships to Japan for repair. Repair happens, back to Germany then back to the US then back to your shop. 4-6 month turn around.

All that being said, they are fairly reliable. The problem is when something on them goes bad (and its not an if, its a when, something will go wrong) they are so unsupported you will wind up paying beaucoup $$$ in downtime and service.

We have 4 of these controls on various machines.....wish we had zero of them.

• Sad 2

A "new" MAM72-42V would be a factory order. They are no longer stocked machines in the US. That's probably why it's taking a little time to get the quote.

People seemed to prefer the MAM72-63V over the MAM72-42V. We only have 1 or 2 in our territory (Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada and Utah) that I am aware of.

I have no idea cost though. I only help people learn how to use 'em. I don't actually quote or sell them. :rofl:

• Like 1

So I read this....and the 'ol grey cells were reminding me of something...

My old 810 controls didn't have a HDD - they had a memory/chip PCB. This was denoted PC20.
There was an option when I bought them to have a HDD instead (as per the 840 controls) and this would have made it a PC50 "version" (I believe).

I had read some thread where people had converted their Siemens to SSD drives and read this regarding HDD:-

Had a similar problem with an 840D of mine. It was the mdbbe.ini that didnt load at "area load". I was able to copy over the mdbbe.ini from my factory floppies to the hard drive and that fixed the problem. To do this, I connected the siemens drive to a mac OSX machine with an IDE to USB adapter. (Ive heard you dont want to connect older Siemens drives to windows machines). Fixed the problem. If its the drive starting to fail, you can fix some bad sector problems with ddrescue a free linux program. That also worked for me and fixed some bad files on the original 840D drive.

Lastly, looking at the Siemens site - this shows:-

https://support.industry.siemens.com/tf//WW/en/posts/hard-disk-copy-use-in-pcu-50-3/190130?page=0&pageSize=10

https://support.industry.siemens.com/tf/ww/en/posts/clone-the-ssd-harddisk-intel-ssdc2bb080g4-of-the-pcu50-3/220128/?page=0&pageSize=10

So it looks like it can be done - and surely in doing this, 99% of problems would go away?

Talked to a friend that has a number of Vickers A2100 and Siemens 840D controls in his shop the other day.

He began converting all those old platter HDD's to SSD's in the PC based controls during the slowdown earlier this year and he said machine performance went up as did reliability.

He said it took him a few tries to work out the process. Basically he cloned the drives on a Linnux machine then added the IDE to SATA converter and plugged the SSD's in and away he went.

He said 2.5" Indstrial SATA SSD's worked the best out of the 3 or 4 (Samsung, Intel, Crucial, and another that escapes me at the moment) he tried on the oldest machine (late 90's).

• Like 2

It is productivity's territory, for sure a great group of guys.  Looking at a new mam72-35v with 32 pallets, hoping to get some unattended machine hours.  People are the hard thing to find in this neck of the woods, maybe its like that everywhere?  Looking for ideas on the must have options, and opinions on them as well.   Was wondering if anyone would happen to know the footprint of one? 

• Like 1

Roughly 6025mm x 3112mm footprint.

Options, we only sell them one way; loaded. :D :P

•    4MB CNC Memory (you run all the CNC Programs off the Dataserver anyway)
•    1GB Dataserver
•    1k Block Look-Ahead if doing mold/impeller type work. 600 Block Look-Ahead otherwise.
•    Tool Center Point Control
•    Tilted Work Plane
•    Work Setting Error Correction
•    Renishaw Laser or Touch Type in-machine Tool Measurement System
•    Renishaw OMP-400 w/ Inspection Plus amd GoProbe Software
•    1k Through Spindle Coolant w/ Mist Collection
•    320 Tools Minimum

That ought to get you going in the right direction.

• Like 1