Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Childs play?..

I'm about as green as it gets when it comes to post editing, I'm also not entirely sure if this is something that cant just be changed outside of the post. But I figured this is the best place to find out. I'm currently using the generic Haas ST 4x MT lathe post, I would like to make an edit to the post so that the "G53" axis return at the end of the toolpath will also show up at the beginning and will put both axis' on the same line.. I'll include a pic as a reference to what I'm referring to.

CODE.jpg

Doable just need to change the retract section in your post. I would add a switch to control. You may want that ability one day and hard coding it one way makes that impossible. Most posts have a stitch to control the output process and if your post doesn't then think about adding that or having it added if you purchased your post. 

• Thanks 1

You can easily add the 'Safe Machine Retract'. I would add it in 4 places:

lsof$
msof$
ltlchg$
mtlchg$

The 'sof' Post Blocks are the 'Start of File' Post Blocks. The 'tlchg' Post Blocks are for Mill and Lathe Tool Changes.

The simplest way is a "String Literal" Statement. As Ron mentioned, you can also add logic to "control" the output from the Operation Level in Mastercam, using Misc. Values.

"G00 G53 X0. Z0.", e$

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Doable just need to change the retract section in your post. I would add a switch to control. You may want that ability one day and hard coding it one way makes that impossible. Most posts have a stitch to control the output process and if your post doesn't then think about adding that or having it added if you purchased your post. 

Okay, I'll do some digging and see if I can figure it out. Fortunately my resellers are rockstars and can definitely make this happen. I just figured it would be a good introduction to self editing. I like the switch idea a lot, a few of the machines I program for need the X first then Z retract for clearance issues.  I spend a little too much time editing after post and I want to break that habit while I still can.

7 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

You can easily add the 'Safe Machine Retract'. I would add it in 4 places:

lsof$
msof$
ltlchg$
mtlchg$

The 'sof' Post Blocks are the 'Start of File' Post Blocks. The 'tlchg' Post Blocks are for Mill and Lathe Tool Changes.

The simplest way is a "String Literal" Statement. As Ron mentioned, you can also add logic to "control" the output from the Operation Level in Mastercam, using Misc. Values.

"G00 G53 X0. Z0.", e$

Thanks Colin, I've been meaning to check out some of your youtube videos on this matter. This forum has definitely given me the confidence to venture deeper into the world of post editing.

• Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 12:29 PM, Jespertech said:

Okay, I'll do some digging and see if I can figure it out. Fortunately my resellers are rockstars and can definitely make this happen. I just figured it would be a good introduction to self editing. I like the switch idea a lot, a few of the machines I program for need the X first then Z retract for clearance issues.  I spend a little too much time editing after post and I want to break that habit while I still can.

Editing any code out of Mastercam is something I have not done in 15+ years after a post is dailed in. One of the easiest way to crash a machine, scrap a part or do something wrong is hand edit code. I post programs for many different customers from the smallest mom and pop to top 50 in the world. Once you dial in a post and have everything right being able to post and go not only saves time it also allows the programmer to focus on more important things. Every minute or hour you waste having to hand edit is code is costing the company double that. There is the original lost time and time not being on something else. Press on, but you can’t have your post dialed in a week then need to get it for your dealer and move on. Great you want to learn, but if you have a great reseller then let them earn their keep while you earn yours. 

• Like 1