Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming Help

tyler@goscpm.com

Can someone help me pick some toolpaths for this model? I am just learning 5th axis programming for our table table mills, and I want someone with experience to show me the RIGHT way to go about this to help build my knowledge base. This would be programming for mill ops only. Any help is much appreciated. A lot of guys on here are pretty quick to judge someone who is inexperienced, so those of you that way....please keep scrolling. 

RWP-004.mcam

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Can someone help me pick some toolpaths for this model? I am just learning 5th axis programming for our table table mills, and I want someone with experience to show me the RIGHT way to go about this to help build my knowledge base. This would be programming for mill ops only. Any help is much appreciated. A lot of guys on here are pretty quick to judge someone who is inexperienced, so those of you that way....please keep scrolling. 

RWP-004.mcam

Let's see if we can throw some light on this...

It's going to be difficult, why you might ask.

You have a table/table machine, great, what do you have for a post? What are the abilities of your post and your machine? Why again you might ask.

The abilities and options each have will determine what the programmer needs to do...it is entirely possible that you have to place everything at the actual WCS, or it's possible that you have to align everything at the center of rotation....or it's even possible again that with the best options and post available, you can program it anywhere..

This is why having your reseller go out to your facility, on your equipment, with your post is the single best training you can get for programming your equipment.

Once you understand what you actually need to provide to your machine, answering questions on the tech end becomes much, much easier

HTH

1 hour ago, JParis said:

The abilities and options each have will determine what the programmer needs to do...it is entirely possible that you have to place everything at the actual WCS, or it's possible that you have to align everything at the center of rotation....or it's even possible again that with the best options and post available, you can program it anywhere

That's interesting, my pocket nc is programmed about the center of rotation, I've been wondering what the other kind of setup looks like.

44 minutes ago, byte me said:

That's interesting, my pocket nc is programmed about the center of rotation, I've been wondering what the other kind of setup looks like.

Not quite sure where Mastercam has got to on this.

For some time the WCS system was "imperfect" in that it really needed to be on Mastercam zero to function properly in all situations. "Constructed" WCS could be problematic:

The origins of some views might be unstable and would need reselecting

Things got especially difficult if you introduced multiaxis paths (with 4 or 5 axis) and you lost some functionality, lead lag for instance.

As I said I don't know where MC is on addressing the issues (they might all be solved) but I always start on MC zero, especially if I know I might need multiaxis.

4 axis indexing on a constructed WCS is usually OK, but again I usually start on MC zero.

Out here in the PNW our main bread and butter is Aerospace and some people argue that using a constructed WCS means you can do everything in airplane space and revved parts come in in the same position. However in 30 yrs of making airplane parts I have NEVER got a chance to get any advantage from this, mainly because Boeing has a habit of rotating suppliers...so I go for the "maintaining functionality" approach and move the part to MC zero.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

Not quite sure where Mastercam has got to on this.

For some time the WCS system was "imperfect" in that it really needed to be on Mastercam zero to function properly in all situations. "Constructed" WCS could be problematic:

The origins of some views might be unstable and would need reselecting

Things got especially difficult if you introduced multiaxis paths (with 4 or 5 axis) and you lost some functionality, lead lag for instance.

As I said I don't know where MC is on addressing the issues (they might all be solved) but I always start on MC zero, especially if I know I might need multiaxis.

4 axis indexing on a constructed WCS is usually OK, but again I usually start on MC zero.

Out here in the PNW our main bread and butter is Aerospace and some people argue that using a constructed WCS means you can do everything in airplane space and revved parts come in in the same position. However in 30 yrs of making airplane parts I have NEVER got a chance to get any advantage from this, mainly because Boeing has a habit of rotating suppliers...so I go for the "maintaining functionality" approach and move the part to MC zero.

I haven't moved a part to MC zero in years. All the old things have been fixed and WCS is fully supported in all 5 Axis toolpaths. MT I will do it, but even with Lathe we can make a WCS and it works like it should.

• Like 2

okay I'd do...

2 ops. first I'd start with the 4 clearance s.h.c.s. holes thru the stock on any 3axis machine (bore one for s.f. pin),  mount to your fixture locating on your Ø20mm mounting thru 3 of your s.h.c.s. clearance holes (one for timing), machine all top work (the square side) surface the 2 angles index 90 deg finish the side holes . could also do on a 4 axis with an iron type fixture. (make sure to use low head screws if there isn't clearance) 

or

1 op.  mill some soft Jaws for your vice to hold off o/d, finish all holes and square from top, index 90 and finish side holes. <- weaker setup IMHO 

And don't forget to break all your edges damnit!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, JParis said:

Welcome to passive aggressive club

Clearly you didn’t take my advice to keep scrolling. LOL Why even post if you aren’t going to be helpful? Helping me pick some basic tool paths really has nothing to do with what mill I’m going to post it to. I can write a program for one of our Hurcos and post to any of our machines. I was looking for some general tool path/machining strategy guidance. Take your wise a$$ and find another thread to hi-Jack as you clearly are way beyond helping someone at my level. 😂😂😂

Everyone, please bow to the almighty Jparis. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

I haven't moved a part to MC zero in years. All the old things have been fixed and WCS is fully supported in all 5 Axis toolpaths. MT I will do it, but even with Lathe we can make a WCS and it works like it should.

I use different world views to drive my rotation, since my t-plane c-plane has to be in top view (Entry License).

I was surprised you can do 3+2 like that.

The 004 is a nice unit.

I would put the round blank in a chuck And mill the bottom profile the outside and mill the half inch pin holes in socket capture through holes.

Then flip it over and put it on the raptor 234 and strap it down with a couple of Bridgeport type clamps.

Then I would machine two of the counterbores put an MO0 clean out the chips add the screws machine the other two counter bars and moo blow out chips and add screws.

Then you can profile the outside and mill the dovetail.

This is our 004 dovetail fixture

17 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Clearly you didn’t take my advice to keep scrolling. LOL Why even post if you aren’t going to be helpful? Helping me pick some basic tool paths really has nothing to do with what mill I’m going to post it to. I can write a program for one of our Hurcos and post to any of our machines. I was looking for some general tool path/machining strategy guidance. Take your wise a$$ and find another thread to hi-Jack as you clearly are way beyond helping someone at my level. 😂😂😂

I met him and shook his hand a couple times.

Just now, Leon82 said:

Nope.

Jp is okay, I think he might enjoy giving newbies a hard time a bit too much, but he seems to have some job knowledge and I've seen him help a few people out.

Mostly just running around telling people they need training and calling them pirates, usually he's right... 😂😂

13 hours ago, byte me said:

Jp is okay, I think he might enjoy giving newbies a hard time a bit too much, but he seems to have some job knowledge and I've seen him help a few people out.

Mostly just running around telling people they need training and calling them pirates, usually he's right... 😂😂

I think JP just gets tired of people posting  "program my part for me because i don't want to put any effort into it" and training from someone who makes a living at it is not what i want to do

• Like 1
1 hour ago, htm01 said:

I think JP just gets tired of people posting  "program my part for me because i don't want to put any effort into it" and training from someone who makes a living at it is not what i want to do

For sure that goes beyond the scope of this forum, it's not a pro bono programming service.

You can machine the complete part with 4 toolpaths. Pocket, Contour and Drill. OPTI-Rough

Fixture made as a Mounting block to hold the base into after operation one is done. Fixture on tombstone will hold 96 parts along the 4 faces. 24 to each face, 2 x 12 layout Counter bores for Dovetail clamps will face out on each side of the tombstone

Setup one machine bottom of part.

4 Tools

3/4 Flat Bottom Wiper Endmill

90 Spot Drill

3 flute .668 drill

6 flute 90 degree chamfer mill.

Pocket Top of part to face with 3/4. Pocket Step to make Boss. Use Contour to finish boss to size. Machine OD to size.

spot holes and chamfer them. Drill holes to size thru part.

Chamfer 2 Edges.

Setup two Flip over and use center boss and pin in one hole to time part to pre made fixture

Run long bolts thru part clamping in 2 places

Run program. Machine the other 2 holes Counter bores to depth.. M00 Remove the 2 long bolts and place the 2 bolts into the holes.

Machine next 2 counter bores.

ORTI-Rough.

6-10 tools no print so would have to guess on tools to tape the holes.

Contour all the walls using a 1-1/2 Bull endmill with .5 radius. Can index at the 2 angles for each angled wall.

Mill Top pocket. Pocket Toolpath 3/4 endmill

Mill D shape for Dovetail clamps. Contour 3/4 Endmill

Mill Dovetail. Contour Dovetail cutter you choose

Drill Threaded holes for Dovetail clamps. Drilling  You tell me the tools to use.  Have no print to go by.

Bore Hole for Dovetail Clamps. Drilling  You tell me the tools to use.  Have no print to go by.

Drill and tap Locate hole on top.  You tell me the tools to use.  Have no print to go by.

Deburr part using Ball endmill. Can be done with contour using 3D chamfer. 1/8 Ball Endmill

Chamfer top Edge. Contour  Chamfer mill

Here you go student now you want to learn put these toolpaths to the part and post back up. Show some sweat equality and effort and JParis or anyone else will be glad to assist, but thinking we are going to program your part when you have not put in the effort without defining a process and tools sorry not going to happen.

20 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I wasn't going to address this, thought about it and decided I will.

Helping you pick some basic toolpaths.....I have been on both sides of this issue, I have spent the better part of the last 16 years on this forum helping people of every which kind from the most menial thing to any advanced topic you're likely to find. I also spent over 5 years doing technical support with a large East Coast reseller. I have seen people of every level, I have trained people of every level from basic 2D Turning & Milling to 5 axis to posts. I don't think you'll find anyone who has ever sat through one of my classes or hosted me in their shops to find me in any way disinterested in the topic or teaching them.

As such, I have seen FAR too many people who either get plunked down in a seat or owners who buy a seat and think they are going to get training either through this forum or other online forums or via a tech support call.  We can, I say we, because there are many people on this forum, many beyond my abilities who offer their time to help others. Many of those, they know nothing more from them than a screen name. We can only do so much via this forum, a user must be responsible for at the very least gleaning some of the most basic of information. I have seen too many users without a modicon of training b!itching and moaning about the software, people that at best, gleaned a couple of mouse clicks out of a pdf they found somewhere and couldn't figure out how to make it work.

So, from my standpoint the single best thing a user can do is to avail themselves of some kind of formalized training. I recommend the resellers because in most cases they can provide the cheapest option to a live training session, as opposed to something more formal at a college or night school class. Through the experience I have gained, I can tell you surely, that when you, as a support person are dealing with a person who has some basic training under them, as opposed to  person trying to click their way to fame, the level of questions are entirely different.

There are people on this forum that weren't even my customers and I went out of my way to help them out. I am more than willing to help anyone out if they are at least interested in at least helping themselves out.

and that is my response fwiw

Good Day!

• Like 6