Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Gun drilling cycle

So not a Guru

The section values are incremental from the selected positions.   

Here's an example where I chose various depth solid holes, so you can see how the segments are -2.5" from the top of the hole:

image.thumb.png.d206c83fd6ef032286ccf935f3557b9f.png

But if you had put a section to be +.75", it'll go above it. 

It's a very flexible toolpath, especially once you realize you can type in just about anything into the Code line and it'll output.  You can use it for broaching or other ops.

Edit:  I do have a video on the CNC forum on how to use it: http://forum.mastercam.com/Topic35351.aspx

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

The section values are incremental from the selected positions.   

Here's an example where I chose various depth solid holes, so you can see how the segments are -2.5" from the top of the hole:

image.thumb.png.d206c83fd6ef032286ccf935f3557b9f.png

But if you had put a section to be +.75", it'll go above it. 

It's a very flexible toolpath, especially once you realize you can type in just about anything into the Code line and it'll output.  You can use it for broaching or other ops.

Edit:  I do have a video on the CNC forum on how to use it: http://forum.mastercam.com/Topic35351.aspx

One other thing is to save these to a ops library and then you can import them in as needed for other programs. This will take some to build up, but as you make them save them all into one place and then you can pull them as needed.

Great addition to the software I did some gun drilling on a Intergex earlier this year using this and it worked perfectly. I currently have a project with some hand load back spot facing needed. I used this toolpath and was then able to copy and past the geometry for each hole and done. Previously this was 12 operation per hole time we define the Vericut Load/Unload Tool M00 to add and remove it and all the other things needed for one customer. Now I define it all in one operation for each hole and then just replace the geometry for each operation. Part has 24 Backspot faces and that would have been 288 Mastercam operation I have now reduced it down to 24 Mastercam operations. Customer requires one operation for each hole so they can stop for breaks, lunch/dinner and shift changes. These backspot faces where just not possible with an auto backspot facer my preferred method for doing them. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

One other thing is to save these to a ops library and then you can import them in as needed for other programs. This will take some to build up, but as you make them save them all into one place and then you can pull them as needed.

Does this effectively work? I'm asking because i recently tried to import an advanced drilling operation from another file but drilling parameters were reset to default. 

1 hour ago, David Colin said:

Does this effectively work? I'm asking because i recently tried to import an advanced drilling operation from another file but drilling parameters were reset to default.  

Any chance you could reproduce that?  I've used import a lot and never had it mangle the data on the way in, but I'd be happy to investigate it for you.  

Do you have a "Default" Advanced Drill Operation, in your Mastercam Operation Defaults Folder? (If you've been updating the Op Defaults for a while, you might be missing any "new Operation" Op Defaults.) I had an issue when I first fired up Advanced Drill, but I haven't seen the warning since encountering it the first time. I don't think it should effect you when "importing" an Operation from another file, but I suppose I've seen stranger things happen.

• Thanks 1

You don't have that awful default to last operation setting in the config do you?

9 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Do you have a "Default" Advanced Drill Operation, in your Mastercam Operation Defaults Folder? (If you've been updating the Op Defaults for a while, you might be missing any "new Operation" Op Defaults.) I had an issue when I first fired up Advanced Drill, but I haven't seen the warning since encountering it the first time. I don't think it should effect you when "importing" an Operation from another file, but I suppose I've seen stranger things happen.

That was it.

I had a message creating new advanced drilling operations (probably migrating operation defaults from 2020). I saved values using image.png.101ddde44e67ee3c46219ef96f885400.png and importing from another file is ok now.

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...