Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Undercut Surface Toolpath - I'm Stuck!

Bill H

Please have a look at the attached file.  I've been beating my head against a wall for hours trying to get the undercut (Operation #9) to work properly.  Depending on settings (I've tried many), either the tool doesn't fully cut the profile or it gouges.  What am I doing wrong?  The -Z portion of the profile (Operation #8, not undercut) works fine.  MC2018 2.5 axis.  Thanks!

Undercut_surface.mcam

1 hour ago, Bill H said:

Please have a look at the attached file.  I've been beating my head against a wall for hours trying to get the undercut (Operation #9) to work properly.  Depending on settings (I've tried many), either the tool doesn't fully cut the profile or it gouges.  What am I doing wrong?  The -Z portion of the profile (Operation #8, not undercut) works fine.  MC2018 2.5 axis.  Thanks!

Undercut_surface.mcam

The top surface doesn't need to be a check surface, you can use the depth limits option to trim the nci off the top, that would also remove the extra toolpasses on the vertical wall.

Using Transform - Project the surface - swept probably would probably create a cleaner surface.

Swept surface.png

Undercut_surface.stp

Your surface cuts off too short at the top so it was leaving a lip, once you remove the top check surface and adjust the min depth option it should be okay, maybe use scallop height instead of distance for the steep area?

I would share the Mastercam file, but it was a newer version.

byte me: I made a new swept surface by adding short straight sections at the top and bottom.  Then I tinkered with Depth Limit settings and that made things work well in the +Z area.  In the -Z area, however, I'm getting a gouge that I can't get rid of (see image below).  Any ideas?  The latest file is attached.  Thanks again!

image.png

Undercut surface.mcam

Good morning,

I added some extra curves by drawing a line and rotating it about the origin then projecting them,

then I added some extra curves around the surface by translating the geometry down.

Rotation Angle.png

Instances of Rotation.png

Translated Edge Curves.png

I used all those curves to create a swept surface, I think I selected translate as the mode.

Usually I try different ones until I find the best result.

New Curves.png

Just now, Bill H said:

byte me:  Well, I'm not sure I understand why this works, but work it does!  Is the idea here to give MC more data points to define the surface?  Thanks for all your time and effort on this!  On what part of Earth are you? 

The results differ on a case by case basis, yes giving mastercam more or less, or sometimes different data can affect the results.

I'm from Montreal, Quebecistan

I created six different surfaces before getting a good result.