Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why not use IPR for everything.

megaman

Good day everyone,

Recently  we have been discussing going to Inches per revolution for everything.  Being a primarily Mazak shop the mazatrol always has this. When using a software like mastercam there is a misc. Value that will convert all the feeds.  

Does anyone know of any negative aspects to this. Besides confusing  shop staff.

You can get your company to adopt it then go for it. I started many years ago on Mazaks and Mazatrol so I get where you coming from, but not the world almost everyone else lives in so they don't normally thinking like that. Change is hard and that is one I learned long ago to just handle on a case by case bases and go from there. 

One problem with IPR is the machine operator's perception of the feederate

It he sees a feedrate  of 30 ipm he has a good idea of how fast the machine will be moving

but if he see's .012IPR he has no idea without looking up the RPM and doing the math.

I've done work with companies that used IPR but they were mostly production shops

where the operators were not allowed to edit programs or use the spindle and feedrate override knobs 

• Like 2

Yeah just the confusion I guess. Anyone that's only dealt with mazatrol might be confused.

Although a good machinist should be able to adapt without much of a hiccup. I mostly program with IPT in mind on mills.

I started at a shop where they used all mazatrol conversational programming and it took a while to get a grasp on them. Coming from a background of exclusively ISO(EIA lol) programming made the switch weird.

I'm with you.   I cannot think of one single reason to use ipm if your spindle, tool or part is turning.  I converted the shop I work at to ipr for everything.      People I trained seemed to understand the ipr concept easier.   I tell them to look in the catalog for speed and feed and darn near all cutting tool manufacturers use feed per tooth and sfm recommendations.    Why add another calculation.

But.  You have to understand both because some older mills can't use G95.

I've always thought this makes sense, especially at a shop like the one I work for.  They have spindles ranging in max speed from 5K to 20K, and constantly want to move parts to different machines.  Sure would make that a lot easier.  To take it a step further, I would think you could program using #var statements as spindle speeds, then put a max rpm statement at the beginning, and formulas to factor the rpm's down accordingly.  I did something similar in an old warm-up program I wrote.

Though this may fall into the land of "Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

• Like 1

When I first started out in this trade, the first shop I ever worked in used IPR on the mills. It made life easy for the reasons mentioned above. You could plug the info in from the back of the insert box and get a baseline. If you changed the RPM, the feed rate stayed the same. It was easy to go from mill to lathe also. Tapping calculations are easier as well.

I feel like IPM is ok, but I find myself leaning on what the actual chip load is. Thankfully, Mastercam will figure it out for you and it's one less calculation I have to do. Everything here at this shop is IPM, and it's not a big deal. If I was to start my own shop I would probably use IPR for continuity throughout. The old work smarter, not harder adage I guess.