Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Royal quick grip collet chuck

hey guys,

My company is quoting out a new machine and our rep is pushing for us to switch over to the quick grip collet system. If anyone here has any working experience with these and can offer some pros and cons,  id love to hear them before we make our final decision. One thing that might be an issue is  the housing seems bigger than the standard royal accu length collet chuck which could cause some clearance issues with our radial tools.

2 minutes ago, Jespertech said:

hey guys,

My company is quoting out a new machine and our rep is pushing for us to switch over to the quick grip collet system. If anyone here has any working experience with these and can offer some pros and cons,  id love to hear them before we make our final decision. One thing that might be an issue is  the housing seems bigger than the standard royal accu length collet chuck which could cause some clearance issues with our radial tools.

They Copied the Hainbuch system after the Patent ran out and it is well made. Yes can run into issues with live tooling, but there are ways to over come that. They offer slim nose styles as well. Far as change out time goes wins hands down over a stand jaws chuck any day of the week. They make machinable collets and shape collets as well. Your parts fit in them then go for it. Large parts or need to use fixtures in your machine then stick with the standard chuck that you can adapter fixture plates to.

• Thanks 1

They are awesome. I only have a few sizes of collets for it right now but i am slowly getting more. I went with the Acu-length system. It is a little more pricey but gives you the ability of using a work stop and any size variations will not change your part length. The only thing that drives me crazy it they don't have a deal with any websites that just has collets in stock. With the collets I have to call up Western Tools get a quote, the quote quote can take a few days to get. Then we can finally get it ordered and by the time the collet will get here I will already be done with the job. That is my only gripe, I wish Royal would just have their own web store or let company's like MSC keep them as a normal catalogue item.

• Thanks 1

Great chucks.  If you have a main & a sub, be sure to get the accu-length.  I would get the accu-length anyways since it gives you more versatility later.  The rubber between the collets have a lifetime guarantee.  If that cracks or tears of the collet, call them up and you should be able to get it replaced free of charge.  I'd also order through a distributor, they should be able to give you a discount off of list price.  If not, try another distributor.  I'm sure someone will.

19 hours ago, CADCAM3D5AXIS said:

^^^ I believe MSC  will stock them if you ask them and buy some goodies from them   you just ask them to carry the line and then when other people ask for them they will get the sales too.  They will even do custom stuff if you ask them.

HTH

I've asked about it. Royal won't let them do it for MSC. I even got on the phone with the sales people from Royal and they said they will not give MSC rights to their full catalogue of parts.

On 11/13/2020 at 6:57 AM, Rocketmachinist said:

I've asked about it. Royal won't let them do it for MSC. I even got on the phone with the sales people from Royal and they said they will not give MSC rights to their full catalogue of parts.

I guess Royal wants to do and keep there own money inhouse  so that does not work well for them to give there sales up for whatever MSC will charge to host there tools on there site ?

This is why most folks just work with the tools they like and order them when needed or find something else to take there place .  If there is any .??

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 8:57 AM, Rocketmachinist said:

I even got on the phone with the sales people from Royal and they said they will not give MSC rights to their full catalogue of parts.

They won't agree to MSC's terms, which as a vendor, typically includes bending over and taking it in the rear with no lube.  MSC is good a providing a service to their customer and making the customer pay for it.  Suppliers/Vendor, make very little margin on sales through MSC typically if there is a stocking agreement or national agreement in place.  It's not a bad thing if you can support them, but for small companies say like Royal it means it is tough to do business.

NOT an MSC fan. They are my LAST resort when I need something.

Royal... we have an EXCELLENT sales rep in my area for them. A guy that used to work for ATS Workholding BITD, then went out on his own. His technical expertise is excellent. Back to the topic at hand. Support will almost always win the day for me.

Royal Quick Change collets are very good. Not quite as good as Hainbuch but probably double digit % less. 75% of the time when I am making a reccommendation it is one of these two systems. Which one I pick depends entirely on the kind of stuff the customer is/plans on doing. Straight bar work with the normal shapes (round, hex and square) then I go with Royal first. If they need to switch between ID and OD work and a few other scenarios, then I go with Hainbuch. The other 15+% goes to Schunk the last 10% goes between ATS, SMW, and a few others. With me, it's always what fits the application the best.

JM2CFWIW

:coffee:

We really like MSC around here. Being a government shop we get a pretty hefty discount. Also we have this system setup where all the guys on the shop floor have an account, they can add anything to the cart and send it to the purchaser. If the purchasing guy approved the order then the person who ordered it gets an email saying the item has been ordered and you get a tracking number. It just shows us the next day and everything is gravy.

Some of these local companies its like pulling teeth some times. They take days to send you a quote. They send the quote directly to the purchasing guy, so if you are just shopping for prices then you never even see any numbers. Then shipping it to a different building on site is always a fun one. It's just nice most times and take the human element out of it. A well put together website is just so much nicer.