Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HOW DO YOU SET UP RUN TIMES TO MATCH MACHINES IN BACKPLOT & VERIFY

daddas8174

10 minutes ago, daddas8174 said:

I just compared the machine run time in verify and backplot & they didn't match. I was wondering how to set up more accurate times.

You need to get setup with the CycleTime chook for accurate times..

45 minutes ago, daddas8174 said:

I am running 2019. the script manager link is broken

Fixed the link, that app is a 2021 build only, I will get you a 2019 version in the meantime you can use this.

It works for X9 through 2021

I don't think it ships with Mastercam, it's a chook example project from the SDK team, there may or may not be some fine tuning involved.

I think you have to tie it into your post..

CycleTime 2021.zip

Oh, it's shared on the topic Josh Shared too!

daddas8174,

I'll build you a 2019 version when I get the chance.

9 minutes ago, JoshC said:

Hmm i have never heard of that chook, but google took me here 

i am starting to look at this as well because it looks interesting.

You can get the source code from the SDK team Josh, I'm always available if you have questions, they are too of course!

If you're using Mastercam 2019- there were a few things that were causing time mismatches between Backplot and Verify, including the handling of canned drill cycles and resultant cycle time estimates for some cycle types. These have been a focus for development and have seen improvements in 2020 and 2021 to bring things not only in line between backplot and verify, but closer to reality in terms of dealing with canned cycles in the way that the overwhelming majority of controls implement them by default. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Zaffin_D said:

Not exactly.

The CycleTime add-in was created as a simple way to get a variety of cycle time information during posting.  The times it provides are not more accurate.

It get's the time for each Nc File posted right?

In my case that's night and day since all our operations run concurrently and are split apart at post time by the post processor into different ops.

I was told by Cnc that this would fix the problem.I have not had the chance to get into it.

I would defintely like to see a time study between the actual time/verify time/backplot time/and chook time for 2019, there have been inconsistencies in the Mastercam display times as long as I can remember..

11 hours ago, Chally72 said:

If you're using Mastercam 2019- there were a few things that were causing time mismatches between Backplot and Verify, including the handling of canned drill cycles and resultant cycle time estimates for some cycle types.

Dylan, can you speak to the differences between the Cycle Time Chook and Backplot and Verify?

One thing that can seriously affect cycle time estimations is the Home position and Rapid feedrate in the your Machine Definition

Some of the big machines I program for have 200 to 400 ipm rapid motion

If my Machine Def is set at the default 1000 ipm, I will get very poor (low) cycle time estimates 

Another setting that can effect estimates is the Home Position

I had a big VTL that had the Home position defined at X500. Z200.

My cycle times out of Mastercam were terrible

The actual settings should have been X80 Z30.

Once that was fixed the cycle times became more reasonable.

30 minutes ago, gcode said:

One thing that can seriously affect cycle time estimations is the Home position and Rapid feedrate in the your Machine Definition

Some of the big machines I program for have 200 to 400 ipm rapid motion

If my Machine Def is set at the default 1000 ipm, I will get very poor (low) cycle time estimates 

Another setting that can effect estimates is the Home Position

I had a big VTL that had the Home position defined at X500. Z200.

My cycle times out of Mastercam were terrible

The actual settings should have been X80 Z30.

Once that was fixed the cycle times became more reasonable.

So I need to enter the actual home position of my dms router into Mastercam?

Just now, byte me said:

So I need to enter the actual home position of my dms router into Mastercam?

It will help,

If your machine's have a very fast rapid it's not so critical unless it's off by a lot 

It also depends on how many tool changes a file has.

One tool change is one trip home

50 tool changes is 50 trips home... if the home position is not right the error adds up 

2 minutes ago, gcode said:

It will help,

If your machine's have a very fast rapid it's not so critical unless it's off by a lot 

It also depends on how many tool changes a file has.

One tool change is one trip home

50 tool changes is 50 trips home... if the home position is not right the error adds up 

The acceleration & deceleration are kind of slow and it's a 60 × 120 table with maybe 20-40 tool changes.

Mastercam is always telling me the prog is 15 minutes and it's taking 45.. The bad acceleration is a time killer when transitioning from one pocket to another.

The problem is also we use 420 inches per minute on all tools and when we are cutting a small pocket like inserts and dados were hitting 60-150 range maybe and there could be hundreds of small features..

16 minutes ago, byte me said:

The acceleration & deceleration are kind of slow and it's a 60 × 120 table with maybe 20-40 tool changes.

Mastercam is always telling me the prog is 15 minutes and it's taking 45.. The bad acceleration is a time killer when transitioning from one pocket to another.

The problem is also we use 420 inches per minute on all tools and when we are cutting a small pocket like inserts and dados were hitting 60-150 range maybe and there could be hundreds of small features..

Mastecam can't process accel and decel as far as I know

Vericut can, if you have accurate values to plug into the Vericut machine

The problem you are having is the you may have it programmed at 420 ipm, but  it never gets close

to those feed rates while machining small features.

Go out at watch the actual feed rate while it's running. It probably doesn't get up to 100 ipm most of the time 

It will still help if you make sure the rapid feed rate and home position are correct in the Machine Def

The CycleTime add-in can be used with or without a post processor.
When using it with a post, you are calling it from the PST and you get the back the time that you can then output in comments in the NC file.
You can also get times running this add-in from Mastercam’s user interface.
You add the CycleTime Add-In command to the UI and when run it will get the time for all ‘selected’ (and clean!) operations.
The times that it gets are the same has what you would see if you did a Setup Sheet.
See the CycleTime.pdf for more details.

• Like 1

Just now returning to this post to see what happened lol. So when using this if I incorporate it into the UI and select an op, it will be closer to real cycle time as compared to backplot? Also if I use this is a post I will get a closer time on a setup sheet? I'm reading through the pdf and i'm a bit lost to be honest.