Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Working from home questions

Oakprogrammer

I was recently exposed to covid due to my fiancé who was exposed at work. She is positive, I am awaiting my results. I will have to stay at home due to her being positive regardless. 

so my situation is this, I do not have a laptop from my work to work from home. What I do have is 2 Mac laptops (I know you can’t run mastercam from Mac laptops) would I be able to use Remote Desktop to run mastercam from my said laptops? 

i want to be prepared with options to bring to my companies attention Monday via phone. I also don’t want to leave my 10 operators with no programs in the upcoming weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions to bring to the issue here? I know laptops that have the capability to run MC are expensive due to them being portable and a pc might be the better alternative for the company but I have not brought this option to them just yet since it’s just been today since she tested positive. 

Thanks ahead of time! 

8 minutes ago, Oakprogrammer said:

Does anyone have any suggestions to bring to the issue here? I know laptops that have the capability to run MC are expensive due to them being portable and a pc might be the better alternative for the company but I have not brought this option to them just yet since it’s just been today since she tested positive. 

You could potentiallu use a windows emulator to run mastercam on your Mac.

9 minutes ago, Oakprogrammer said:

Does anyone have any suggestions to bring to the issue here? I know laptops that have the capability to run MC are expensive due to them being portable and a pc might be the better alternative for the company but I have not brought this option to them just yet since it’s just been today since she tested positive. 

I run Mastercam on a 400$ Asus Computer at home and also on a Dell both have Intel Graphics, it still works, just not so fast..

8 minutes ago, byte me said:

You could potentiallu use a windows emulator to run mastercam on your Mac.

I run Mastercam on a 400$ Asus Computer at home and also on a Dell both have Intel Graphics, it still works, just not so fast..

Did you pick that up at Walmart or any big name store or ordered? I’m just looking for something that could be a quick option. I’m also not above just buying it myself. This is because since I started programming 2 years ago, I’ve gotten so use to windows interface that I hate to even turn on my Macs. 

Also the key for mastercam is on our network, would we have to still remote in to get access to use mastercam from there to save programs. I’m very out of the loop on these types of things and having an IT guy who is very into SECURITY! 

4 minutes ago, Oakprogrammer said:

Also the key for mastercam is on our network, would we have to still remote in to get access to use mastercam from there to save programs. I’m very out of the loop on these types of things and having an IT guy who is very into SECURITY! 

If you get a computer for home, your IT person can setup a VPN connection for you...you can pull a license remotely and work locally

That's the best way to run on a network license

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Oakprogrammer said:

Did you pick that up at Walmart or any big name store or ordered? I’m just looking for something that could be a quick option. I’m also not above just buying it myself. This is because since I started programming 2 years ago, I’ve gotten so use to windows interface that I hate to even turn on my Macs. 

Not Walmart, maybe Best Buy or Costco if you have that, try to get something with an I5 for 400-500 asus, or like 800-1000 for their gaming laptop that has a nvidia gtx 1660, thats pretty good, a second hand computer shop would be your other option.

6 minutes ago, JParis said:

If you get a computer for home, your IT person can setup a VPN connection for you...you can pull a license remotely and work locally

That's the best way to run on a network license

Nice. I’m guessing setting a VPN via network that I would log into? Now to just find a computer that won’t be crazy high to see if they would pay for it before I go buying one lol

If your IT guy is security conscious, he may not let you VPN in from personal equipment.  I know we can't without a lot of hoops to jump through.  They probably have a loaner laptop already set up with VPN access, though, and it may be able to run Mastercam, or at least remote desktop into a computer in the building that can.  Don't go buying anything for yourself, at least not before clearing it with them.  I'd hate to see you drop a grand on a decent gaming laptop and then they don't let you work remotely anyway.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, JParis said:

That's correct, Mastercam will then ping a license and you can run it locally.

It beats trying to work a computer and program remotely

I've been working from home for a couple of months now and routinely remote in to use my employer's licenses 

I have my own Mastercam and SolidWorks  licenses but Vericut, hyperMill. SpaceClaim and, Catia all run fine on my  home machine over VPN.

As long as you and your employer have a good brodband connection it works really well

• Like 1

Will he have a problem with VPN if the machines are not equally matched? That was my biggest question when trying to decide what direction to go, remote desktop or VPN.

My laptop doesn't come close to the power of my office desktop. This was the reason I was leaning on doing remote desktop.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Will he have a problem with VPN if the machines are not equally matched? That was my biggest question when trying to decide what direction to go, remote desktop or VPN.

My laptop doesn't come close to the power of my office desktop. This was the reason I was leaning on doing remote desktop.

He'll need something reasonably close to have enough power to do what he does...but that's nothing to do with the VPN, just if he has enough computing power at home.

Personally, I'd rather run under powered at home than try working on a computer remotely

• Like 1

Well I have worked from home for a long time and have invested in the systems I needed. Most times I am using something better than my customers. Really comes down to choices and what you do. I invested in my own System better than where I worked 22+ years ago. I would go home and program parts since it was so much better than my work computer. Owner was upset one day he couldn't remember where I was. He called me on my cell phone asking where I was. I reminded him he didn't want to spent the $4,500 I had spent on my system at the house. He said hurry up and get back to the shop we need you. I have pretty much had better or as good a system at home as my work since then and it has served me well.

• Like 1

My biggest concern is to make quick fixes while on vacation, cad or Quickbooks.  That is why I am considering remote desktop. Working from home isn't that big of a deal. I work from home because my shop is behind my house, for now. Less than 40ft  from back door to the shop door, see image. I guess everyone's needs are different.

20201114_113143.jpg

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Rob B said:

My biggest concern is to make quick fixes while on vacation, cad or Quickbooks.  That is why I am considering remote desktop. Working from home isn't that big of a deal. I work from home because my shop is behind my house, for now. Less than 40ft  from back door to the shop door, see image. I guess everyone's needs are different.

20201114_113143.jpg

Yesh well that is completely different. If my shop was 40 foot at the backdoor then that is completely different. Nice Building and good for you!!!

• Haha 1

Temporary home!!! I hope the economy doesn't tank. If things continue as is, I hope to start on a new building or buy something. This will someday become my man cave!!!! This is what a Trump economy can do for you if you are willing to work. Started this in Nov of 2017. Took delivery on a lathe and mill in April of 2018. Quit my worthless job in Sept of 2018. Bought another mill in Dec of 2018. Paid the first 2 off 2 months ago. My plan was to get dept off my back encase the Chinese economy returned. That is what looks like will happen.   But I am out off room. Sorry for hijacking the post. i will stop now. Only machine not pictured is 12-24 surface grinder and welder. God is good!!!!

20201114_123337.jpg

• Like 6
On 11/14/2020 at 4:20 PM, lowcountrycamo said:

Rob. Nice set up. What kind of parts do you make?

Sorry for the delay in getting back on the topic. Been a busy week!!!! 

I do small qty replacement parts for several large companies around East Tennessee. Small gauge jobs. Some custom automation jobs. I have been doing this type work for 25 years. If anybody has any over run, I am always open to quote new work. I have several companies that I can give as references. Decided to set out and do my own thing in 2018. So far it has been good. I just wish I had been able to start this deal 10 years earlier. Just wasn't able to get started then.

• Like 1