Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Merge Tangent

SN_MCam_User

8 hours ago, SN_MCam_User said:

spoiled by SW mating routines and get the feeling this is probably right in front of me somewhere...

I can't say for certain, since I'm still using X9, but I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed. Not that it can't be done (create a circle/arc that is tangent and translate the solid between points), but I don't believe there's an easy button for that in MC. AFAIK, MC doesn't have mating features like other design packages have.

The video below is how I accomplish this, not super difficult but not as easy as SW Mates.

https://fastechincorporated-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/support_fastechinc_net/EVfJ_DsqmH1AjugUXvW72tkBQlHZ6gMo_rtIT1Vx5ebTgw?e=nEOJwE

if the video is blurry in the web browser you can choose download if you wish and it should be very clear if downloaded. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, JoshC said:

Thanks, I could have streamlined it a bit more in hindsight since there wasn't any need to create edge curves but other than that its the best method I can think of.

It's very good, a Chook version of this would be cool, I wonder if it's possible?

12 minutes ago, byte me said:

It's very good, a Chook version of this would be cool, I wonder if it's possible?

I have not ever got into c-hooks for some reason, they are very interesting but I know so little about how to create them that I have no idea. Although I will likely dive into them some day so your guess would be better than mine on that. 

21 minutes ago, SN_MCam_User said:

😯  Holy smokes JoshC...I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry! thx for the vid - that was worth at least 1000 words.  Ima try it and get my muscle memory up to speed...  thanks to all!

I used some functions that may be overwhelming to a new user like the autocursor intersection snap and or the measure angle from the right click menu so some of that could have been done in a more simplistic way with some additional steps, like analyzing the angle of the v block ahead of time. That video may not have been an optimum way of showing how to do this if you are still fairly new, if i was teaching this to a new class i would have gone about it in a completely different way so everyone could follow along easier so keep that in mind, there are so many ways to accomplish the same task in mastercam and depending on your time in front of mastercam sometimes the long way about something can be the better choice for ease of use and learning. 

someone very experienced in mastercam may do something in a drastically different way than someone new and still get the exact same results but using different tools and steps to accomplish it, don't get too concerned with doing it the way i showed, you may find a much easier way, if you want me to show a more simplistic way that may require more steps i can do that if you would like. 

Josh adding Autocursor to the right click would speed that process up. Another thing is if the part is in 3D space then using Transform from Plane to Plane is another option to align the planes then go about the process you showed. Nice video and good method to show a method to get it done. 

Funny we have more options in 3D lathe tools to control behavior like this than the standard Mastercam.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Josh adding Autocursor to the right click would speed that process up. Another thing is if the part is in 3D space then using Transform from Plane to Plane is another option to align the planes then go about the process you showed. Nice video and good method to show a method to get it done. 

Funny we have more options in 3D lathe tools to control behavior like this than the standard Mastercam.

yea thats a good idea, i often just use I for intersection, o for origin, c for arc center, e for endpoint, etc but since i had audio muted in the video and didnt have my keystrokes shown i wanted to just use the dropdown but yea great idea and that is handy, the options offered in the 3d lathe tool designer are identical to the ones found on the model prep tab, like align to face is the one used in 3d tool designer, so you do have these tools outside of the 3d tool designer, but its a single face at a time and doesn't let us mate a cylinder to 2 faces, if anyone is curious the video shown below shows these model prep mates but they are not at the level of the SW mates and is only face to face, not a face to multiple faces like what we would need for this task.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, SN_MCam_User said:

ok ok ok Thad...now i see you got there first for sure <doh>...but mwarene gets big points for the video...    just goes to show that we've gotta keep training ourselves to see the tiny details.... 😎

Agreed, it was a nice video. Great job mwearne! Thanks to Josh for his great video as well. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, mwearne said:

Sorry, I stopped reading your post at X9. Guess I need to do a better job of ensuring my posts are original.

I was just looking to get a laugh out of you guys, that's all.  :thumbup:

Just now, Thad said:

Agreed, it was a nice video. Great job mwearne! Thanks to Josh for his great video as well. :thumbsup:

thanks but after seeing mikes video I like your guy's method better, its faster and easier. I read tad's response but it didn't actually make any sense to me until seeing the video mike made, great work guys

• Like 1