Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Circle mill success?

CNCZACK

I've been using circle mill on and off usually on carbon steel or even some stainless. Currently experimenting with the helical entry percentage on some harder material (AL6XN). I wasn't sure if there was a rule of thumb for using circle mill for the entry. Any one have a rule of thumb here?  I always go with a plunge angle of 2 degrees but other than that I'm not sure lol. 

18 hours ago, CNCZACK said:

I've been using circle mill on and off usually on carbon steel or even some stainless. Currently experimenting with the helical entry percentage on some harder material (AL6XN). I wasn't sure if there was a rule of thumb for using circle mill for the entry. Any one have a rule of thumb here?  I always go with a plunge angle of 2 degrees but other than that I'm not sure lol. 

When going this route in harder materials, I prefer to use a bullnose endmill as opposed to square corners.

• Like 1

I try to helical ramp at cutter diameter x 2 - corner radius.  Then unless I am dropping the feed rate to say 40% of my normal feed, I will try to ramp at less than the gash dish angle, which in most cases will be less than 2 degrees.  Some endmills can handle more aggressive ramping parameters, but this would normally be a pretty safe bet.  If ramping at less than the diameter above you will need to back off on your feed some depending on the diameter and angle as your typical 4,5,6,7,or 8 flute tool will not be that many effective to the center, and will have more effective flutes the further you get away from the center.  Remember the tool cuts on the front and the back edge of the tool, so the effective torque and forces are greater than when cutting normally in plane.

• Like 1