Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

GPO-3 Fiberglass

rchipper

1 hour ago, rchipper said:

Greetings,

Anyone out there have experience machining GPO-3 Fiberglass?

The owner is quoting a job and I'm curious about machinability and any human hazards.

Anything filled with glass is going to chew up your way covers pronto, and if the seals fail (and they will sooner, rather than later), it will start wearing your ways and/or ballscrews.

Dust collection is better than running coolant, if you have the capability. You don't want to breath the dust. It also really tears up your hands. I prefer to wear nitrile gloves when handling the parts. If you run flood coolant, the glass dust mixes with the coolant, and still keeps tearing up your pumps, hoses, and way-cover seals.

My best advice is to drain your coolant tank, and clean it before starting the job. When you fill the tank, push the coolant concentration to the lowest you dare go. I like about 4% for anything with glass in it. The reason is that the whole batch of coolant is shot, once there is glass in it. After the job is done, empty and dispose of the coolant; the entire sump full. Clean the inside the of the machine completely, and then remove all the way-covers, and clean the covers and seals, before re-installing everything. I'd budget a full-shift to clean everything, and remove/re-install the covers.

That glass powder will stick to everything, and it will act like a fine-slurry of sandpaper, constantly grinding away at everything. The glass sticks to your rubber seals, and will eat away at whatever it gets stuck between.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...