Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Subscription

Rocketmachinist

1 minute ago, JParis said:

It currently does not affect the perpetual licenses in any way..

It's introduction offers another option for licensing....

for now any way...

It makes me curious about how they are going to handle stuff like posts. Do you have to buy the post outright still or are you renting that as well?

8 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

36 months you almost paid for a full seat why not step up and just purchase the full seat? Get a points credit card and pay for it that way.

lots of places won't let you buy something that big with a card,

tried to buy a car with one they would only let me put $5000 down

9 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

36 months you almost paid for a full seat why not step up and just purchase the full seat? Get a points credit card and pay for it that way. 

How much difference is there between the 36 month subscription and 36 months of maintenance?  I know that our maintenance isn't cheap.   :D 

They had a survey about it a while back,

This is the first I've head about them actually doing it.

I haven't heard a word from my dealer on the subject.

I'm not a fan of subscriptions for one simple reason.

If you hit a rough patch and can't make the monthly nut, the rough patch just got a whole lot rougher

cause you've got no CAM 

With a perpetual license you've always got software, even if you can't make maintenance one year 

The issue of posts is something I hadn't thought of ... do you rent those too???

or buy them, tied to a license subject to a monthly payment?? 

• Like 2

To answer a few questions in no particular order:

• There is not (and has never been) discussion on removing the perpetual license. That's here to stay.  Yes, long term the perpetual license is cheaper (and as Gcode pointed out, it's not like we're hiding that fact :)).
  • Yes, people have been requesting this ability for a few years now for a myriad of reasons such as starting your own shop and want a license to get things spinning without investing the full amount, a large project/spike in work that you expect to be temporary gives you a chance to buy only what you need right now, uncertainty of how long you'll need an additional license, subscription software comes out of a different budget than purchased software, etc.
  • The license will need to be added to your license pool for any limited access add-ons, posts, etc.  This is one of the reasons that we're currently only offering it in a minimum of 1 year increments; to decrease that kinda overhead. I'm not sure if you can rent a post for a year though, as JP said, talk to your reseller and see how they're structuring it.

Edit: Oh, and disclaimer:  I'm not the license guy, so the above is just my understanding on keeping up with it through our normal meetings.

• Thanks 4
  • Like 4
5 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

There is not (and has never been) discussion on removing the perpetual license. That's here to stay.

I Just hope this stays true.

I know you cannot look into you crystal ball and see how things will be in a decade, nor am I asking you to do so. I just hope that someone doesn't decide at a later time,  that like AD it's a good business model.

This company just kicked AD to the curb because of that exact decision

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JParis said:

I know you cannot look into you crystal ball and see how things will be in a decade, nor am I asking you to do so. I just hope that someone doesn't decide at a later time,  that like AD it's a good business model.

This company just kicked AD to the curb because of that exact decision

I'm thinking all the big players would drop Mc if they did that, making it not a worthwhile decision, offering both is the best of both worlds..

Just now, JParis said:

Aye, that's true, but at least for the time being I can still ping the owner (and her Dad) on Teams and whine at them if they do it :)  That's a lot better for the customer than being accountable to stock holders.

I can also say from personal experience that "we need to fix/change this because as a user that's a bad experience" is enough justification to get changes made/approved, so I wouldn't despair too much.

• Like 2
Just now, byte me said:

I'm thinking all the big players would drop Mc if they did that, making it not a worthwhile decision, offering both is the best of both worlds..

Not the discussion I really meant to kick off, as I am sure at this moment in time that is not in anyone's plans...

5 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

Aye, that's true, but at least for the time being I can still ping the owner (and her Dad) on Teams and whine at them if they do it :)  That's a lot better for the customer than being accountable to stock holders.

I can also say from personal experience that "we need to fix/change this because as a user that's a bad experience" is enough justification to get changes made/approved, so I wouldn't despair too much.

There is DEFINITELY something to be said for not being a shareholder owned company. :cheers:

I STILL believe the person(s) that came up with software by subscription needs to be dragged into the public square and flogged. Repeatedly.  :rofl:That is SUCH a horrible way to treat customers IMHO. I understand the "revenue stream" aspects, but that's what maintenance is for. Just make the updates so compelling that it becomes a no-brainer to stay on maintenance.

My wife has the last version of Adobe PhotoShop that you can actually own. That CD , and license key number stays in my safe. No joke. My wife has a subscription to the latest PhotoShop and LightRoom... that's like $120/yr or something liek that. She gets an educator's discount so it's not horrible. Sure would have been nice to own them. We'd be ahead of the game by now. :( 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

To answer a few questions in no particular order:

• There is not (and has never been) discussion on removing the perpetual license. That's here to stay.  Yes, long term the perpetual license is cheaper (and as Gcode pointed out, it's not like we're hiding that fact :)).
  • Yes, people have been requesting this ability for a few years now for a myriad of reasons such as starting your own shop and want a license to get things spinning without investing the full amount, a large project/spike in work that you expect to be temporary gives you a chance to buy only what you need right now, uncertainty of how long you'll need an additional license, subscription software comes out of a different budget than purchased software, etc.
  • The license will need to be added to your license pool for any limited access add-ons, posts, etc.  This is one of the reasons that we're currently only offering it in a minimum of 1 year increments; to decrease that kinda overhead. I'm not sure if you can rent a post for a year though, as JP said, talk to your reseller and see how they're structuring it.

Edit: Oh, and disclaimer:  I'm not the license guy, so the above is just my understanding on keeping up with it through our normal meetings.

Aaron - that is great news for owners, that the perpetual will stay. Don't follow the industry (AD) - just because they do it, doesn't make it right!

Ref the 36 month being a similar cost of a full license - you could offer a variation of this deal where at the end of the 36 months the customer pays you $1 and it's then their perpetual seat. Be a great offer for startups.

Disclaimer - that was not my idea, it was Thainz!

15 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

Stock holders (as in corporate stock market companies) have killed many a great company. All they're interested in is dividend payout.

They.Do.Not.Care about the company or customers. Just the money. There's many that have collapsed because of them. The (UK) GEC story is one great example.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Ref the 36 month being a similar cost of a full license - you could offer a variation of this deal where at the end of the 36 months the customer pays you $1 and it's then their perpetual seat. Be a great offer for startups.

a deal like this would probably require $1 and a year on maintenance

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Newbeeee™ said:

I expect icons will be reintroduced and a major enhancement and reason for updating in the future 😬

I heard they are working on a mind control helmet....just think it and the CAM will do it

🐻

PS, looking through the animal icons.....Why does this board not have a Pink Panther icon   :) 

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, JParis said:

I heard they are working on a mind control helmet....just think it and the CAM will do it

The Dentist I go to machines their crowns on site.  They design the tooth right in front of you and the software automatically programs the machining.   It's pretty fascinating to watch. 

I can't help but wonder how far away from that we are in our trade.

36 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

The Dentist I go to machines their crowns on site.  They design the tooth right in front of you and the software automatically programs the machining.   It's pretty fascinating to watch. 

I can't help but wonder how far away from that we are in our trade.

WorkNC has a dental module.