Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Subscription

Rocketmachinist

2 hours ago, Neurosis said:

The Dentist I go to machines their crowns on site.  They design the tooth right in front of you and the software automatically programs the machining.   It's pretty fascinating to watch. 

I can't help but wonder how far away from that we are in our trade.

Adding to what JP said - 3.5years ago my dentist walked me through the whole process. Xray, then manipulate the tooth on screen, press the magic 'grammin button, and let me see him load and then watch the cut on the machine.

Very automated - tooth blank on standard one size peg to load to the one size collet in the machine - and just the one size cutter (no tool change) to cut the tooth.

Very impressive and I thought even an 8 year old could do that :lol:

2 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Not totally the same but ..........medical doctors burry their mistakes!!!!!😂

My mate swears blind by just swarfing it.

Or if it's castings - get them out the back of the factory in his top box on his motorbike - remove ALL evidence :rolleyes: 

Then in a few days later when the inquest comes why batches are short - keep straight face and deny all knowledge stating that you made everything you were given :D 

3 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Adding to what JP said - 3.5years ago my dentist walked me through the whole process. Xray, then manipulate the tooth on screen, press the magic 'grammin button, and let me see him load and then watch the cut on the machine.

What kind of machine? Which software?

Magic grammin, where do I sign up?

The trick to anything like dental is being able to REALLY control the variables.    As Newbeeee said, there's a standard size blank for each type of tooth.  On the software side, you're always doing the same toolpath on the "same" mesh with the same tool (and feeds/speeds/etc).     Each tooth's toolpath could be optimized a bit, but across any type of tooth the feeds & speeds just work, so you give up a little bit of absolute efficiency for programming ease since you're only cranking out one or two at a time.

A lot of them are now powered by ModuleWorks, especially since DelCam gave up on their suite as it wasn't profitable enough for AD: https://www.moduleworks.com/industries/dental-framework/

Given the same constraints, you could whip up an automated system that would do something like this in Mastercam via the API & ATP suite.

23 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

The trick to anything like dental is being able to REALLY control the variables.    As Newbeeee said, there's a standard size blank for each type of tooth.  On the software side, you're always doing the same toolpath on the "same" mesh with the same tool (and feeds/speeds/etc).     Each tooth's toolpath could be optimized a bit, but across any type of tooth the feeds & speeds just work, so you give up a little bit of absolute efficiency for programming ease since you're only cranking out one or two at a time.

A lot of them are now powered by ModuleWorks, especially since DelCam gave up on their suite as it wasn't profitable enough for AD: https://www.moduleworks.com/industries/dental-framework/

Given the same constraints, you could whip up an automated system that would do something like this in Mastercam via the API & ATP suite.

I think in-office machining of dental implants is probably going away long term

My dentist used to do it a lot .. and still uses it for temporary crowns and such, but his high end crowns are now

made from materials not easily machined.

One of the big attractions of in house dental machining is that a crown can be done in one visit .. now we're back to 2 or 3 visits for a crown.

The last crown my wife got was made from a ceramic material that required  3 appointments to prep, fit ,manufacture and install

It was more expensive too, but the dentist assured her it will last longer than she will 

40 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Aaron,

A little off topic but any thoughts on creating a self automating Macro like NX has? It would build these automations for the user as needed?

I think we're pretty far off topic anyway :)

I wouldn't be surprised to see that in the future, but it's at least a few years away.  We've recently created an API team directly responsible for getting our API/SDK in a good shape.  Before it was the few guys you saw here (primarily Mick & Roger) who were doing it in addition to other duties.   So who knows what they'll cook up after they get through their backlog of projects for the API?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
25 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see that in the future, but it's at least a few years away.  We've recently created an API team directly responsible for getting our API/SDK in a good shape.  Before it was the few guys you saw here (primarily Mick & Roger) who were doing it in addition to other duties.   So who knows what they'll cook up after they get through their backlog of projects for the API?

This is a quick example of how easy it is in NX. 

24 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

This is a quick example of how easy it is in NX. 

I was feeling inspired by all this talk of automation, I whipped up a little atp style app.

Mastercam definetly supports macros like this, it would be cool to give the end user the ability to automate workflows, one of the things I am workkng towarda.

I'm creating 100's of operations here cuz I wrote this on mill entry which is limiting in some ways.But the end result is an optirough like function.

21 minutes ago, JParis said:

I'm sorry, I have been down the road with NX...phooey

Never had the pleasure.

Just now, JParis said:

Yeah, I get it....my own predisposition to loathe anything NX overtook my senses for a minute  :)

I have similar feeling about CATIA 

4 minutes ago, gcode said:

I have similar feeling about CATIA

Same here, Catia and Ad both.. It's not the same experience, and Catia's vba macros are kind of a dinosaur, works okay tho..

1 minute ago, cncappsjames said:

CATIA; great at CAD. Programming... dreadfully complicated. I can't imagine NX is any different. 

The thing I found remarkable about Catia was that I took some classes in 2002

and again in 2018.... and nothing had changed. I'm sure there were upgrades and such

but the basic interface was unchanged

3 minutes ago, gcode said:

The thing I found remarkable about Catia was that I took some classes in 2002

and again in 2018.... and nothing had changed. I'm sure there were upgrades and such

but the basic interface was unchanged

Yea where the ribbons at?

11 minutes ago, byte me said:

Yea where the ribbons at?

not so much ribbons,

the interface felt stone aged in 2002 and even more so in 2018.

important options buried 6 right click menus deep and such 

It's like you have to be a member of a secret society to know all the tricks