Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic optirough issues

Bob W.

I am trying to optimize a titanium part for cycle time and I am having issues with optirough (stock model driven) creating extra depth cuts that aren't needed.  Basically I am using a 5/8" 9 flute cutter with 2" flute length and I am going about 1.75" deep with it.  I would like to start at full depth, then do the step up cuts.  The issue I am running into is the tool wants to take the first cut at like .020" below the top of stock, essentially a full facing pass, which pretty much doubles the operation time not to mention the extra wear on the tool tip.  What is the solution to this?  I'm sure it is a simple setting I'm missing, hopefully...

I just tried and it didn't work.  I did do that earlier in another operation and it worked in that instance.

edit:

Okay, I went deeper with my dummy facing pass and it did work.  That is really annoying...  Optirough has been out a long time and this should have been figured out a while ago.  I have been wasting time dealing with this exact issue for years.

56 minutes ago, Bob W. said:

I just tried and it didn't work.  I did do that earlier in another operation and it worked in that instance.

edit:

Okay, I went deeper with my dummy facing pass and it did work.  That is really annoying...  Optirough has been out a long time and this should have been figured out a while ago.  I have been wasting time dealing with this exact issue for years.

Do you have stock turned on? Sometimes I usually have better luck turning stock of & setting the steep/shallow max to the top of my stock from setup.

10 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

Do you have stock turned on? Sometimes I usually have better luck turning stock of & setting the steep/shallow max to the top of my stock from setup.

Yes, I am using the stock model to drive the optirough.  I will give that a try going forward but I often do multiple different roughing/ rest roughing operations to get to the complete roughed state and each step is generally driven by a new stock model.  In this instance it is the first roughing cycle so the stock model is very simple.  Some of the later stock models can get pretty busy.

Just now, Bob W. said:

Yes, I am using the stock model to drive the optirough.  I will give that a try going forward but I often do multiple different roughing/ rest roughing operations to get to the complete roughed state and each step is generally driven by a new stock model.  In this instance it is the first roughing cycle so the stock model is very simple.  Some of the later stock models can get pretty busy.

I use multiple opti-paths as well, but my 1st is always an optirough, then all subsequent ones are optirests using stock models.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Bob W. said:

edit:

I remember only a couple of occasions back in the 9 daysFWIW, but i had to reduce the top of stock value which made it work for me.

Only happened on a couple of parts though 

13 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Bob do you have the Stepdown set to 1.75" and the Stepup set to your desired setting? One setting that really affects Opti-Rough is in the Transition Tab - Skip Pockets Smaller than. That can cause collisions in Rest material operations.

I had the step down at 1.5", then 3.0" and it made no difference.  Ultimately I'm wanting to machine to the center of the part (Z0.0) from B90 and B-90 but it always starts with a cut ~0.050" from the top of stock.  If I do a dummy facing path greater than the depth of the initial optirough cut it eliminates that first pass.

4 hours ago, Jayson Kramer-CNC Software said:

Are able to share the file?

Unfortunately I can't.  If I get time over the next few days I'm sure I could re-create it on a dummy  part.  I'll see what I can do.

• Thanks 1

The usual cause of this shallow first depth cut in Optirough is that the path is seeing stock above your min Z depth number in Steep/Shallow, thus prompting the toolpath to create an initial cut at/around the top of stock to safely clear this material before taking the full stepdown that starts at your Min Z depth and increments down.

This could be because of the stock model you've chosen vs your z depth setting, or it could also be because of the stock to leave numbers on your machining geometry. That's also why you have the "Adjust for stock to leave" setting on the Steep/Shallow tab- so that you don't have to do math to match your stock to leave surface conditions when selecting or entering a min z depth. The stock-on machining geometry values and how they affect min/max numbers is the harder of these two scenarios to understand/predict. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
On 11/30/2020 at 6:21 AM, Chally72 said:

The stock-on machining geometry values and how they affect min/max numbers is the harder of these two scenarios to understand/predict. 

This is where something like how NX visually represents depths of cuts with visual cues on screen when selecting toolpath options would be a great addition.

It seems like something like this could be useful for many toolpaths in mastercam. 🤓

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Zoffen said:

This is where something like how NX visually represents depths of cuts with visual cues on screen when selecting toolpath options would be a great addition.

It seems like something like this could be useful for many toolpaths in mastercam. 🤓

I agree, and the development team has heard similar feedback from me.