Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DMC 125 FD4 mill turn setup

Hi folks, Just wondering how the community would open up a part with milling and turning(DMG dmc125 duoblock/840D).  Our old programmer would use two separate files when milling and turning. Now that this is falling on my shoulders, isn't the "correct" way to have both machine groups in the same file?  This DMG is a 5axis with a nutating head.  Turning is with the table VTL style.  Last time I was full time programming was X7,  2020 is a lot different.  Our reseller is sequestered because of the virus...Can any one point me in the right direction?  

I was thinking that using one file was best and manipulating the tool planes and lathe world WCS would be correct.  Just thinking about what is the most productive standard way.

Although this is they way I have the least experience..   I'll come up with something and repost !

Back in the V9 and previous days, 2 files was normal....at this point, I would do this in a single file.

The caveat to that though would be file size.....it can be manageable when files get huge BUT you need to have the computing horsepower to deal with it.

• Like 2

Doing some more research, this is where I'm at..  So I plan on doing some rough milling ops then finish turning and lastly all the point work/drilling/tapping.

I drew a solid from scratch, and created a Turning WCS plane and aligned it.  I was watching the old Postability video on their website from 2018.  Problem is, its in a horizontal lathe position.

I'm thinking I have to go into the machine definitions and add a VTL Table setup to the C axis dropdown box?  Would this be the correct way to set up VTL style?

I haven't ever used the new style machine definitions.  Is there A way to determine/ identify all the features on the machine and how to add these to The machine definitions
?  I have grinding capability also that has never been used on this machine...

• 1 month later...

Running into the same issue with a DMG Duo block 160. I hate how it all revolves around lathe. The piece sits vertical in the machine yet in MC it is horizontal. Makes it difficult to follow. Especially for the operators. Originally it was set up like a VTL than change to conventional lathe. I liked the visual of the VTL.

What post are you using?

I have been programming these machines a lot and once you wrap your brain around only using the lathe process for everything then you see where your WCS and Planes become a big help. I normally make one WCS for everything for the machine Workoffset and then go from there. I will use my view sheet extensively to help me also.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, so how  I am using it is  opening up in LMD.  I orient my part to the spindle for milling first.  Then, I create a custom turning plane for turning which I line up with the my milling WCS (Postability website).  So for turning paths I use custom turning WCS with Tplane upper left.  So the top view in my Turning WCS is like a regular Horizontal lathe.  Does this sound reasonable?  Are there better ways of doing this?