Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lewis

LewisMack

Hello, I need some assistance.  I have digitized a part using a renishaw probe on a mill. I am now sitting with a point cloud that has been created. How do I import this point data into mastercam so that I can create a surface from the point cloud? Any assistance will be appreciated. 

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

there is no functionality in Mastercam to support point clouds. You need the full Ernie software to create surfaces. unless of course your point cloud was done 

using mechanical digitizing , then you have an organized point cloud and you can manually  work on it.

Gracjan

• Like 1
On 12/24/2020 at 11:24 AM, pullo said:

there is no functionality in Mastercam to support point clouds. You need the full Ernie software to create surfaces. unless of course your point cloud was done 

using mechanical digitizing , then you have an organized point cloud and you can manually  work on it.

Gracjan

if you build a wireframe shape like a rectangle around the point cloud you can get powersurface to work on the point cloud, but its very limited and not as powerful as like spaceclaim or verisurf for point clouds but if its a simple point cloud i have got powersurface to work ok

If it's a one or two time thing, and your point clouds are linear (like a grid digitizing), you can break the ASCII into lines (just put an enter after the end of each line).  Mastercam can import those as Splines that you can then loft/PowerSurface on.  Obviously, it won't be as accurate as a mesh, but for most uses it's good enough.

Another option is to open them as points and then use Spline > Automatic on each line to create splines, then loft a surface/PowerSurface it (this is the graphical way of doing what I described above).

• Like 2