Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3d contour issues

CNCZACK

3 minutes ago, JParis said:

sight unseen, 3D Contour respects the tip on the line....you may need to project it to get a cutter to respect a surface

Are you saying to create wire frame and try it with that and move it above the surface or project the surface higher? 

5TH AXIS CHEAT PROJECT ON RADIUS mill internet

On 1/6/2021 at 7:25 AM, CNCZACK said:

I found it via search (wasnt in the ribbon) it works just on one surface, tells me I dont have the license to select more than one face ugh lol 

Drive the 3D contour from the upper edge not the lower edge and then use a minus depth of the radius of the tool and you just cheated the 3D project process. I model the Radius into the solid. I would make a surface model from the solid on a different to a level and then untrim the end surfaces and put an edge on the top of that surface connecting them. Then drive the 3D toolpath from that edge using the minus the radius of the arc you added to the solid and then done. Just cheated Project to get exactly what you needed.

Here is what I am talking about.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Drive the 3D contour from the upper edge not the lower edge and then use a minus depth of the radius of the tool and you just cheated the 3D project process. I model the Radius into the solid. I would make a surface model from the solid on a different to a level and then untrim the end surfaces and put an edge on the top of that surface connecting them. Then drive the 3D toolpath from that edge using the minus the radius of the arc you added to the solid and then done. Just cheated Project to get exactly what you needed.

5TH AXIS CHEAT PROJECT ON RADIUS mill internet.mcam

This is exactly what i was looking for. ill try and recreate it and go from there. Great example and suggestion. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

5TH AXIS CHEAT PROJECT ON RADIUS mill internet.mcam

How do you go about trimming the surface to place it on a different level? 

1 minute ago, AMCNitro said:

That's when you learn the most, when you have to get it done.  

I always make sure in these situations to stop and save what im doing each section into a mastercam notes so i can always look back at them, You are definitely right about that though!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

image.png

Sorry to say, but you need some training.

I feel like this a lot of the time, however, that brings up a good question I've always wondered.  Where do you go for training, when your reseller isn't cutting it?  The guy who does that part of the job with our reseller is a nice guy, and I like him, so I'm not going to mention any names, but when it comes to the technical aspects of Mastercam, he's just not up to the job.  So where do you go if your reseller isn't as useful as you'd like??  I'd love to get real training.  I just don't know where to direct management, when it comes to getting it!!

4 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I feel like this a lot of the time, however, that brings up a good question I've always wondered.  Where do you go for training, when your reseller isn't cutting it?  The guy who does that part of the job with our reseller is a nice guy, and I like him, so I'm not going to mention any names, but when it comes to the technical aspects of Mastercam, he's just not up to the job.  So where do you go if your reseller isn't as useful as you'd like??  I'd love to get real training.  I just don't know where to direct management, when it comes to getting it!!

If you're in a multiple reseller region, you might explore a different reseller.

3 hours ago, JB7280 said:

Look to online training with one on one aspects or hire a contractor to come in and give them some of your hardest part and make them teach you as part of it.

• Like 3
On 1/6/2021 at 8:29 AM, crazy^millman said:

Sorry to say, but you need some training.

On 1/6/2021 at 9:04 AM, CNCZACK said:

thats what i used, also yeah im open to it but this job has been way outside of anything im use running into, also added its a rush job

Watch some of rons videos.  :D 

I need some training too. 

• Like 1
On 1/7/2021 at 4:32 AM, JB7280 said:

Well as someone who is self taught for the most part with the exception of what I learned from this forum not sure what to tell you. Fail, Fail and fail again has always been what has helped me learn what not to do to do what I need to do. I make mistakes still and not a perfect programmer, but my programs make good parts. End of the day our goal is to make good parts not perfect programs and that is the difference. Approach it with the attitude of what can I learn from this today? What notes can I take on this? What can I read about this? What have I not tried in this situation? I learned Wire EDM by going in 2 hours early and staying 2 hours late on my dime for months. The owner felt I knew what I was doing to the point he made me the lead of the EDM department. I got a called all kind of names for doing it, but that is knowledge no one can take away from me. What are you doing on your own to learn this trade? That is what any business owner does that most employees never see. We take risks and are putting a lot on the line running businesses. Thing is each person is a business and if they stop and think about their professional lives as such they would make totally different decisions. I have never tried to be insensitive to others like dealers when I had a problem, but guess what CNC Software is their boss and you're not happy with your local reseller then reach out to them and let them know. One or 20 phone calls a week if need be and trust me it will get someone's attention and something will be done to address your issues with them. We kept a log book of every issues we ran into for 9 months and presented that to one machine builder for a machine our company was having issues with over 25 years ago. The machine was replaced and we got extra items because we documented our issues. I have well over 4000 emails back and forth to QC at CNC Software over the years goIng over things I find. Many times I get a number and other times I realize I am not looking at it correctly. Document your issues and when your boss whats to know why show them why.

• Like 2
On 1/7/2021 at 4:32 AM, JB7280 said:

I learned because I had to, basically.  I started with V4, on my dads shop, on a 2.5D machine.  I would tell my dad that we cant do this or that, he would say "we don't say we cant in this family" and we would sit at the PC for hours, until we made it do what we need it to do.  After that I had my own business (someone else machines but I wasn't on payroll) making aircraft spares, for 6 years.  And at that point I was on my own, I learned surface programing(I have a lot to learn still) again, cause I had to.  I would sit on the PC and would try all the different functions until it did what I need it to do, and then Id remember for the next time.  The more I did it, the more fined tuned everything was.  Every time you learn a new way to do something it becomes another tool in your experience box.

I've  had to train others several times, and one thing I notice a lot is that people are afraid of doing things on MC, I always tell them "you're not going to break any tools or machines on the PC, just hit that button and see what it does".  I learned a lot by trial and error, a class would be wasted on me.  Also this website helps a ton!

That said, I've had several opportunities to work with people more experienced than me and I learned a lot just by looking at their programs. 

One thing I've never had the opportunity to do is 5 axis, but I'm confident that if I ever do get the chance Ill just fine.

If you keep at it, and are passionate about learning it, you will learn.  Never say "I don't want that job cause I don't know how to do it".  Instead say "ive never done it before, but Ill figure it out",  worked for me so many times.

• Like 2