Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Werid stock models

TERRYH

I am doing a large alum casting and created a stock model with our .375 stock we have cast on the top surfaces (pic1) I roughed the top and back side with a shorter tool (pic2) and created another stock model to rough the front portion that is steeper with a longer tool. the first 2 came out correct but the third front steep roughing looked like the stock model was hollow after machining (pic3) what causes this and is it still ok to use for another rest roughing program. I used the exact same process on all 3 and I need the 3rd to be good so I can do a rest roughing to get the smaller corners and pockets. Forgot to mention this is done with 2019

STOCK MODEL.PNG

BEFORE.PNG

AFTER.PNG

I normally just use the stock models when doing these larger parts, but if you change one thing it blitzes them out and you got to reprocess them. One of our other guys creates an STL, imports it into MC then uses that to create his stock models, and uses it for his rest roughing programs and such. Doing this he says if you change something it does not blitz the stock models so it saves the time of that reprocessing. thats the process I used on this rather than just creating an stock model.

After you create your Stock model (have the stock model active (green check mark in the Toolpath manager), (on a new level) go to the Stock Model command in the Ribbon Bar and drop down and select "Convert to P-Mesh". It will then create a P-Mesh model on your new level. Then in the Toolpath you want to drive from the Stock model choose "User selected  Geometry" in the Stock tab. Then select your P-Mesh model on the screen.

51 minutes ago, TERRYH said:

I'll give it a try but what are the advantages of doing it this way, or is it just another option ?

It has pro's and cons IMHO.

Pro: It is not tied to the operation that generated the stock model.

Con: It is not tied to the operation that generated the stock model.

If you make a simple change to the operation that generated the stock model and it goes dirty the entire set of operations linked to it go dirty. This can make for long regeneration times.

I am sure others with more experience will have more too add.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

It has pro's and cons IMHO.

Pro: It is not tied to the operation that generated the stock model.

Con: It is not tied to the operation that generated the stock model.

If you make a simple change to the operation that generated the stock model and it goes dirty the entire set of operations linked to it go dirty. This can make for long regeneration times.

I am sure others with more experience will have more too add.

No you covered it pretty good. :thumbup:

• Thanks 1