Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can't get rest machining correct

JB7280

I have a 10mm endmill roughing this feature, then a 6mm, and I'm trying to rest machine the corners with a .125 endmill.  I'm using dynamic rest mill and in stock, when I tell it that the previous tool was 6mm, it wants to machine the entire feature.  "One other operation" won't work, because the 6 mm was just a rest machining operation, and when I choose All Previous Operations, it tells me all regions have no material remaining.  I also have Tangent chosen as open chain extension to stock.  What the heck am I doing wrong?  

TOOLPATH.jpg

MACHINING GEOMETRY.jpg

1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

I have a 10mm endmill roughing this feature, then a 6mm, and I'm trying to rest machine the corners with a .125 endmill.  I'm using dynamic rest mill and in stock, when I tell it that the previous tool was 6mm, it wants to machine the entire feature.  "One other operation" won't work, because the 6 mm was just a rest machining operation, and when I choose All Previous Operations, it tells me all regions have no material remaining.  I also have Tangent chosen as open chain extension to stock.  What the heck am I doing wrong?  

TOOLPATH.jpg

MACHINING GEOMETRY.jpg

If you need too, you can lie to Mastercam about the previous operation tool size..

Using the tool diameter option..

13 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Are you working in inch or metric?  Working in inch, did you put 6 in the previous tool radius.  Dumb I know, but likely it is something stupid like that.  Another thought is to close the region and add the closing leg as an air region.

Inch.  I actually did check to make sure I put .236 instead of 6, lol.  Totally plausible that it could have been the cause, but not this time.  Unfortunately closing using the open leg as an air region didn't work.

15 hours ago, Thee Byte™ said:

If you need too, you can lie to Mastercam about the previous operation tool size..

Using the tool diameter option..

I tried lying to it all the way from .05 to .5, no luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

I ended up just using the geometry of the open slots and choosing one operation.  It just seems like it should have worked using the same geometry as the original machining.  But oh well....

On 1/8/2021 at 6:11 AM, JB7280 said:

Inch.  I actually did check to make sure I put .236 instead of 6, lol.  Totally plausible that it could have been the cause, but not this time.  Unfortunately closing using the open leg as an air region didn't work.

I tried lying to it all the way from .05 to .5, no luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

I ended up just using the geometry of the open slots and choosing one operation.  It just seems like it should have worked using the same geometry as the original machining.  But oh well....

Sorry, but you are looking at the way it needs to work with that toolpath. It is not Stock aware and where I always use a Stock model to use for these operations not previous operations. They only have so much intelligence built into them an that is where we as the programmers need to adjust our methods to use the process to what we need. Should it work like you want yes I agree, but is doesn't so quit trying to force it your way and adjust your way to what gets the job done and use a stock models in between operations like this and things will do exactly what you want. You did adjust your method to make it work and applaud you for the effort, but this is a very simple area. When you get into more complex areas using in process stock models will get you the best results is what I and many others have found with using OPTI-REST methods in Mastercam. Other Softwares are stock aware for toolpaths, however Mastercam is not and we have to help it along by doing what I have laid out here It was talked about in another thread by John about how to break the link with stock models to not have a whole file blow up should something change to also learn that process and life will be good to you using Mastercam.

11 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Sorry, but you are looking at the way it needs to work with that toolpath. It is not Stock aware and where I always use a Stock model to use for these operations not previous operations. They only have so much intelligence built into them an that is where we as the programmers need to adjust our methods to use the process to what we need. Should it work like you want yes I agree, but is doesn't so quit trying to force it your way and adjust your way to what gets the job done and use a stock models in between operations like this and things will do exactly what you want. You did adjust your method to make it work and applaud you for the effort, but this is a very simple area and when you get into more complex areas only using in process stock models will get you the best results.is what I and many others have found with using OPTI-REST methods in Mastercam. Other Software I here are stock aware for toolpaths. Mastercam is not and we have to help it along by doing what IO have laid out her.e It was talked about in another thread by John about how to break the link with stock models to not have a whole file blow up should something change to also learn that process and life will be good to you using Mastercam.

I always assumed optirough/rest was more useful for an area with multiple depths.  I never think to use it for an area with only 1 Z depth.  I'll admit, I avoided using stock models here because using them in the past seemed to get me into a little bit of a mess in the end.  I need to do some studying on stock models, how they work, and where/when to apply them.  Because the way I've used them in the past isn't great and does me more harm than good.  

And yes, you're very correct on your original point.  I tend to think "the software SHOULD work this way, and d**n it, i'm gonna force it to!!!"  I'd probably shudder if I added up all the time I spent trying to force it, and then doing it totally different in the end.  Not very productive!!

15 hours ago, JB7280 said:

I always assumed optirough/rest was more useful for an area with multiple depths.  I never think to use it for an area with only 1 Z depth.  I'll admit, I avoided using stock models here because using them in the past seemed to get me into a little bit of a mess in the end.  I need to do some studying on stock models, how they work, and where/when to apply them.  Because the way I've used them in the past isn't great and does me more harm than good.  

And yes, you're very correct on your original point.  I tend to think "the software SHOULD work this way, and d**n it, i'm gonna force it to!!!"  I'd probably shudder if I added up all the time I spent trying to force it, and then doing it totally different in the end.  Not very productive!!

Send me a file you struggled with and let me see if I can give you a different way to look at it. Not making any promises, but you seem like a hard working intelligent person who wants to be better. I want that for you like I do any person doing Manufacturing. We are running out of people engaged in this profession so I am always looking to engage more and if I can help you then you help others then we grow those engaged. 

[email protected] 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Send me a file you struggled with and let me see if I can give you a different way to look at it. Not making any promises, but you seem like a hard working intelligent person who wants to be better. I want that for you like I do any person doing Manufacturing. We are running out of people engaged in this profession so I am always looking to engage more and if I can help you then you help others then we grow those engaged. 

[email protected] 

I definitely will on Monday!