Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

VPN access with a HASP key, not netHASP

Wondering if it is possible to use VPN from home to run Mastercam with a HASP on the computer at the shop. We have a single seat with a HASP, not a netHASP. Trying to find out if anyone has been doing this already since it would require additional hardware at the shop...our router supports VPN as a pass through only, so may need to upgrade to a different router to even try it.

16 minutes ago, John @ High Tech Machine said:

Wondering if it is possible to use VPN from home to run Mastercam with a HASP on the computer at the shop. We have a single seat with a HASP, not a netHASP. Trying to find out if anyone has been doing this already since it would require additional hardware at the shop...our router supports VPN as a pass through only, so may need to upgrade to a different router to even try it.

Many topics talking about this very subject over the last year. Do a search and you find many are doing it with success. Might run into some lag issues from time to time, but that has been what I remember as the only major issue anyone has run into.

Most of the prior threads I have found refer to using a netHASP, hoping to find someone who has knowledge of doing it using a non-netHASP key.

I have tried a few remote access options which haven't been all that great as I don't have the use of my 3d mouse, and running remote access seems to be more like a screen share; the size of the text leaves a lot to be desired when displayed on the smaller screen of my monitor at home.

Sorry should have given it a little more thought before answering. Now that I think about it not sure it is possible unless it is a Nethasp. Might check with your dealer and get a Wibu license and then I think you could check it out to use at home. I believe it does away with a Hasp and goes to a Software License.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/16/2021 at 5:53 PM, #Rekd™ said:

If Mastercam is not already running you won’t be able to launch it (that was my experience).

Can anyone confirm whether a USB dongle will work if you have Mastercam open already, or will it lock you out while you're running and it checks for a license?

Work set me up to VPN in, and Remote Desktop to my PC from home. Yesterday I closed everything and tried to get in from home and it said it couldn't find the license. Not sure if IT will set up a USB anywhere. I could ask if it's necessary.

The reseller wants $3500 to "reconfigure" my license and turn in my USB key,  and it's just rubbing me the wrong way.

6 minutes ago, volitan71 said:

The reseller wants $3500 to "reconfigure" my license and turn in my USB key,  and it's just rubbing me the wrong way.

Well, you'll have to pardon the bit of boohoo on my end...there is a cost asscoaietd with it...

Can it work, yes, the results of doing it are painfully slow...it would need to be left on the work system, Mastercam running and you would need to log into that system with a screen sharing app and run it remotely...it's painful, it's slow and no way to program remotely, if it crashes, you cannot restart it remotely...the other option is carying the HASP home and then carrying your files back & forth.

To really be able to program efficiently remotely, a network license is really necessary....

To piggy back on this, I take the USB Hasp home. I remote in to my work computer and copy my files to my home PC. I then log off the work PC. Make my programs in Mastercam and do what I need to do on my home PC. When the job is done, I just remote back into my work PC and move the files back over. It's an extra step, but I don't have any lag issues and if Mastercam crashes I am not hosed.

That said, you need a home PC capable of running Mastercam, and you need to have it setup as a direct copy of your work PC. This includes post files, machine defs, etc. It can be cumbersome at first to get it all setup, but once it's done it's not a big deal.

there are additional benefits to a network software license beyond just remote access, some additional capabilities gained with a network software license are

- license borrowing (can borrow a license on a work pc so the pc can be taken home or anywhere for that matter with no need to connect to the server)

- Remote updates (remote updates are NOT supported for updating a nethasp license, a standard nethasp does not support remote updates even though it can be done and many users make it work, some remote software's like teamviewer i believe will let you do it, some don't, but officially remote updates are not supported with the old nethasps) where the new network software license fully supports remote updates

- Virtual servers are supported with the new network software license, again many users have found ways of getting a network hasp to work on a virtual machine (typically requiring a usb virtualizer like anywhere usb), so its certainly possible but not officially supported and typically the updates are not nearly as easy to perform on a VM due to remote access reasons. With a network software license VM machines are fully supported

- VPN and Remotely using the software does not typically have any issues, unlike nethasps and hasps can have

- restrictions can be made in the codemeter software to prevent certain users from license access where a nethasp i dont believe offers many options for preventing someone access if they have access to the license server

those are just some of the additional capabilities and added features included with a network software license in case anyone was un-aware of the other benefits. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, volitan71 said:

Can anyone confirm whether a USB dongle will work if you have Mastercam open already, or will it lock you out while you're running and it checks for a license?

Work set me up to VPN in, and Remote Desktop to my PC from home. Yesterday I closed everything and tried to get in from home and it said it couldn't find the license. Not sure if IT will set up a USB anywhere. I could ask if it's necessary.

Remote Desktop will look for the hasp of your local system, not the one at work. Use Teamviewer to access your work computer and launch Mastercam, then you can use remote desktop once Mastercam is running.

• Like 2