Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CNC Router Drilling Machine Help

CADCAM3D5AXIS

We Just got a Machine that uses  Excellon Format 2 program language to do drilling and routing on pcb boards and we were told Mastercam can post to or at least post the format 2 program language from mastercam . i looked for a router  and anything in MC that said anything about a router , But not really sure which one or for that matter what type is acceptable that will do what i need.

So i thought i would start here and if anyone has a answer to the question above It would be most useful.

The Machine is a https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcbdirectory.com%2Fnews%2Fprinted-circuits-selects-pluritec-automated-drills-for-its-pcb-drilling-facility&psig=AOvVaw1xCWNblCwNla5R9HtTFhne&ust=1611168974205000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAkQjhxqFwoTCJDL-qvWqO4CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

or something like this that will read a Excellon Format 2 code. That has a camera and a few other goodies.  

Thanks for any feedback .

CADCAM3D5AXIS

• 2 weeks later...

Question added to the above , What type of router code does your routers post out ?  do you have any selection or is it all just Mill code like a mil Post / Fanuc code.??

since we dont have a Router machine added to our selection i can not see what or if it has the Format type we need .

TIA

If anyone has any suggestions it would be most appreciated .

2 hours ago, CADCAM3D5AXIS said:

Question added to the above , What type of router code does your routers post out ?  do you have any selection or is it all just Mill code like a mil Post / Fanuc code.??

since we dont have a Router machine added to our selection i can not see what or if it has the Format type we need .

TIA

If anyone has any suggestions it would be most appreciated .

I have programmed routers with Mill before there was a router product to program routers with. I still programs routers with Mill and many of the Router companies recommend using Mill in Mastercam.

I would need to see a programming manual to know what that machine needs to give you an exact answer about the code.

I'm with Ron on this. Use the regular "Mill Product", as they are essentially the same thing. No need to complicate the licensing issue. The "Router Product" I think gives you  True Shape Nesting included with the price, but you can purchase that for Mill if you need that functionality.

Getting NC Code output will just come down to "what Axes need to be driven, and what is the syntax formatting of their code?".

"Router G-Code" is mostly "Fanuc-like" G-Codes and M-Codes, but it always depends on the Control. If you mount a Siemens or Heidenhain control on the machine, then the code would use their syntax.

I see that this machine has different spindle types. It uses a 60K RPM Spindle for "routing", and a 200K RPM Spindle for Micro Drilling. Sounds fun. I wonder if it physically changes spindles, or just has multiple spindles (with separate spindle driven axes)?

It will all come down to the Post Processor, and that shouldn't be all that hard honestly. There are even companies who have developed Add-In programs to Mastercam, like RobotMaster, where the output looks absolutely nothing like standard Fanuc G-code, but the "input paths" (Toolpaths), are essentially the same for a 5-Axis Mill, but the output is 6 different "joint positions".

Depending on the complexity of the NC Code that you need to drive this machine, you could probably edit an existing Fanuc Post in Mastercam, to get your NC Code output. Check out my YouTube Channel if you want to learn how to do this yourself. If the task is beyond your capabilities, then I'd recommend consulting a professional Post Developer to just build you a Post, and be done with it.

On 2/3/2021 at 7:42 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

I'm with Ron on this. Use the regular "Mill Product", as they are essentially the same thing. No need to complicate the licensing issue. The "Router Product" I think gives you  True Shape Nesting included with the price, but you can purchase that for Mill if you need that functionality.

Getting NC Code output will just come down to "what Axes need to be driven, and what is the syntax formatting of their code?".

"Router G-Code" is mostly "Fanuc-like" G-Codes and M-Codes, but it always depends on the Control. If you mount a Siemens or Heidenhain control on the machine, then the code would use their syntax.

I see that this machine has different spindle types. It uses a 60K RPM Spindle for "routing", and a 200K RPM Spindle for Micro Drilling. Sounds fun. I wonder if it physically changes spindles, or just has multiple spindles (with separate spindle driven axes)?

It will all come down to the Post Processor, and that shouldn't be all that hard honestly. There are even companies who have developed Add-In programs to Mastercam, like RobotMaster, where the output looks absolutely nothing like standard Fanuc G-code, but the "input paths" (Toolpaths), are essentially the same for a 5-Axis Mill, but the output is 6 different "joint positions".

Depending on the complexity of the NC Code that you need to drive this machine, you could probably edit an existing Fanuc Post in Mastercam, to get your NC Code output. Check out my YouTube Channel if you want to learn how to do this yourself. If the task is beyond your capabilities, then I'd recommend consulting a professional Post Developer to just build you a Post, and be done with it.

As Ron Said and also You Colin   I was thinking  along the same lines  when we got this machine  and it has a Camera for using alignment  and positioning  of parts to drill and route profiles thru multi layer stuff just like a router would do or a Driller like they call some of them but it is a 3 axis machine with limited z travel and the optics when you use them self aligns parts with the optics when you tell it to go somewhere and look for targets then it does it thing and you can then run or at least check the position and verify  your program. It has a 60 k spindle so it can do router work  and also drilling  with measuring the holes with the camera based on the program. But we don't have the router in our collection but that was what i was looking for to try until i found out we dont have one or at least the option to have one at this point in time. So were fat fingering other programs to do simple stuff but that's not why we bought this Machine.

Thanks For The Input and the Feedback  I will keep you posted since things are in a state of flux .

CADCAM

:construction:

• Like 2