Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Backplot Stopped Working

Spotterhphc

Hey,

Recently, in the last week, I have been having an issue with backplot. You know, the thing we use 1000 times a day? When I go to backplot a turning operation, it will either crash mastercam or when I hit run ( play ) it won't display any movement and I can't manipulate the graphics view. If I go to roll the graphics view it won't update till I close backplot.   If I create a mill path like contour and backplot that then all is good. It seems to only be turning operations. Randomly it will work for one use on the same problem toolpath. I attached the stripped mcam file for reference. This is on an Integrex i300 FYI.  I did have the same issue with a Swarf path last week but it never crashed mastercam it just wouldn't  show any positions. 

Verify still works like it should though. 

Things I have tried :

Restarting Mcam

Restarting Computer 

checked for updates

used the mastercam default config

rolled back to previous video card driver  ( tried backplot but no dice ) ( put the current updated driver back  )

repair file function 

deleting toolpath then creating a new one. 

Tried using multiple turning tools thinking it was a corrupted tool....if that's even a thing. 

using different stock defs 

using different stock planes

using no stock whatsoever 

toggle stock update on/off

I am at a loss here. Is this an issue anyone else is having or that mastercam already knows about? Or is this just an isolated incident. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

test.mcam

1 hour ago, Spotterhphc said:

Hey,

Recently, in the last week, I have been having an issue with backplot. You know, the thing we use 1000 times a day? When I go to backplot a turning operation, it will either crash mastercam or when I hit run ( play ) it won't display any movement and I can't manipulate the graphics view. If I go to roll the graphics view it won't update till I close backplot.   If I create a mill path like contour and backplot that then all is good. It seems to only be turning operations. Randomly it will work for one use on the same problem toolpath. I attached the stripped mcam file for reference. This is on an Integrex i300 FYI.  I did have the same issue with a Swarf path last week but it never crashed mastercam it just wouldn't  show any positions. 

Verify still works like it should though. 

Things I have tried :

Restarting Mcam

Restarting Computer 

checked for updates

used the mastercam default config

rolled back to previous video card driver  ( tried backplot but no dice ) ( put the current updated driver back  )

repair file function 

deleting toolpath then creating a new one. 

Tried using multiple turning tools thinking it was a corrupted tool....if that's even a thing. 

using different stock defs 

using different stock planes

using no stock whatsoever 

toggle stock update on/off

I am at a loss here. Is this an issue anyone else is having or that mastercam already knows about? Or is this just an isolated incident. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

test.mcam

Your Mastercam crashing may be cause due to corruption in the configuration/resource files located in the c:/users/public/shared mastercam and documents/my mastercam folders. I would suggest reinstalling the software and deleting those 2 folders.

If you feel that is not the case and you have encountered a defect in the product, you could contact qc<at>mastercam<dot>com with the relevant information..

40 minutes ago, Spotterhphc said:

I shall try that and see what happens. Thanks!  Just recently I had a second guy setup his own user account on the computer and it seem to be right around that time that issues started happening including this. Not sure if that is related.

In configuration -> files -> shared data path, there is a common folder in c:/users/public/documents/ shared mastercam, to avoid trouble have them set it up to point somewhere local on their profile like the desktop.

Ok so I uninstalled mastercam and at the same time I uninstalled all previous versions and deleted everything mastercam related as if it was never on this tower. Might not have been necessary but now I have a clean slate....... didn't fix it though. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! But hey, now I only have the one version which i've wanted to do for a long time. I also just checked the video driver update just to see and wouldn't you know that just today they released one. Installed that and still no go. Also tried turning off hardware Acceleration just to see and that didn't do anything. 

All this said I have now contacted mastercam support. Lets see what they can think of. 

FYI I have an Nvidia Quadro M2000 card which has worked for 3 years now with very few issues.

Thanks for continuing to think on this "Thee Byte". 

1 minute ago, Spotterhphc said:

Ok so I uninstalled mastercam and at the same time I uninstalled all previous versions and deleted everything mastercam related as if it was never on this tower. Might not have been necessary but now I have a clean slate....... didn't fix it though. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! But hey, now I only have the one version which i've wanted to do for a long time. I also just checked the video driver update just to see and wouldn't you know that just today they released one. Installed that and still no go. Also tried turning off hardware Acceleration just to see and that didn't do anything. 

All this said I have now contacted mastercam support. Lets see what they can think of. 

FYI I have an Nvidia Quadro M2000 card which has worked for 3 years now with very few issues.

Thanks for continuing to think on this "Thee Byte". 

Did you delete the Shared Mastercam and My Mastercam folders?

That is critical!

OK I got it! Stinkin thing!

I have narrowed it down to one thing. What are the chances?  

If "display end points" is on when you launch backplot then it immediately crashes mastercam once you hit run or single block. I had a coworker verify on another computer and it was the same thing. So by default that button will be turned off. Now if you launch backplot with it turned off and then toggle display endpoints once its loaded, it will work for that backplot session only. WOW!!!!! Don't worry it's only a days worth of work. Now where was I yesterday at noon when all this started? hahaha    

I am curious if this is repeatable for others with lathe / multiaxis seats ? Those are the two seats that I have seen the issue on. 

backplot.png.8ee1cc087cafe363ef15a9b3f68ee9b3.png

• 4 months later...

Wow, I am glad someone else is having this issue we have four programmers and three of us are having this issue one is not. It happens in lathe and on a transform tool path in milling, I did find that if I turn the tool display off then back on before starting the back plot it does not crash. I have done all the ideas shown above except for the deleting the registry file I will try that next chance I get and see if that corrects the issue.

It would be nice to hear if more people are having this issue, my assumption it is a graphics card/ graphic card driver issue.