Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

View ports in main graphics area

Candicane

19 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Use Viewsheets to quickly change between views, planes and levels etc.

I never saw the value of view sheets, because I never had a problem positioning the model with my 3D mouse.  Then I learned about bookmarks, and how the viewsheet also changes planes, levels, etc.  Game changer.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I never saw the value of view sheets, because I never had a problem positioning the model with my 3D mouse.  Then I learned about bookmarks, and how the viewsheet also changes planes, levels, etc.  Game changer.

Never tried it myself

Just now, Thee Byte™ said:

Never tried it myself

I have a bad habit of jumping back and forth, seeing something I want to change from earlier in my program, etc.  Then I'll go back, and forget to change my planes.  This helped me to make sure I was working in the correct planes.

19 minutes ago, Thee Byte™ said:

Never tried it myself

I work on a lot of assemblies or families of parts.  Some files can have 10 parts with 5 operations each.  It doesn't take long to see the benefit of viewsheets when you work like that. 

Pre view sheets you would have to wade through your levels and re-set views to go back to a specific part number or operation. Now they are book marked in viewsheets. It's a single click to reset everything back to that part and operation. 

19 minutes ago, neurosis said:

I work on a lot of assemblies or families of parts.  Some files can have 10 parts with 5 operations each.  It doesn't take long to see the benefit of viewsheets when you work like that. 

Pre view sheets you would have to wade through your levels and re-set views to go back to a specific part number or operation. Now they are book marked in viewsheets. It's a single click to reset everything back to that part and operation. 

We make families of parts too, but we store one part per file and use toolpath nesting, The actually programming process has been mapped by chooks for 95 pct of features.

I recently found a way to assign the active group to the selected solid and create a new one if needed, so you can program 50 parts and the toolpaths get sent to the right group without any trouble.

40 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I have a bad habit of jumping back and forth, seeing something I want to change from earlier in my program, etc.  Then I'll go back, and forget to change my planes.  This helped me to make sure I was working in the correct planes.

That makes sense, I only really use 2 planes top and bottom, when I do five axis works, I will drive everything off of one Cplane for an op, but it's fully automated, so I couldn't meess it up.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:05 AM, JB7280 said:

Exactly I can have 50 view sheets in a file now. I really wish we had a better way than the stupid bottom of the graphics area to go between them. I have asked repeatably to have a view sheet manager to no avail. Maybe by 2030 we will see one. :coffee:

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 3:03 PM, SlaveCam said:

A viewsheet manager would be INCREDIBLY useful, especially if you could add additional information (remarks) to each view sheet + a quick search / filter

On 2/5/2021 at 8:50 AM, crazy^millman said:

Exactly I can have 50 view sheets in a file now. I really wish we had a better way than the stupid bottom of the graphics area to go between them. I have asked repeatably to have a view sheet manager to no avail. Maybe by 2030 we will see one. :coffee:

What kind of manager? a permanent dockable manager with an MFC treeview like the toolpath manager, or a floating disposable dialog with a list?

3 hours ago, Thee Byte™ said:

What kind of manager? a permanent dockable manager with an MFC treeview like the toolpath manager, or a floating disposable dialog with a list?

I was thinking something that was integrated into the Planes manager or could be a stand alone and dock able like the other managers. A list is much easy to go through than clicking a stupid arrow at the bottom of the screen.

1 minute ago, crazy^millman said:
3 hours ago, Thee Byte™ said:

I was thinking something that was integrated into the Planes manager or could be a stand alone and dock able like the other managers. A list is much easy to go through than clicking a stupid arrow at the bottom of the screen.

Hmm, yes, no doubt you have 20,000 viewsheets in your file! :D

Just now, Thee Byte™ said:

Hmm, yes, no doubt you have 20,000 viewsheets in your file! :D

Nah that would be crazy. 50 is already bad enough and I try keeping them short and sweet, but sometimes you need a longer name and that longer names eats up that space on the bottom of the screen. Imagine having to scroll through operations, planes or levels the same way. urghhhhh

1 minute ago, crazy^millman said:

Nah that would be crazy. 50 is already bad enough and I try keeping them short and sweet, but sometimes you need a longer name and that longer names eats up that space on the bottom of the screen. Imagine having to scroll through operations, planes or levels the same way. urghhhhh

The viewsheets would exist in a tree view like the operations manager, very fast vertical scrolling.

I never understood viewsheets..

13 minutes ago, Thee Byte™ said:

The viewsheets would exist in a tree view like the operations manager, very fast vertical scrolling.

Viewsheets are like snap shots of the programming process. I use them all the time now for sending files to customers. I have SETUP defined and they click on that viewsheet and go to everything I was using for that setup. I have them on some project for the index angles for a part. One part on a HBM has 80 index angles. Each one has a viewsheet. As I am programming around the part I hit that viewsheet and the planes and levels associated to that snap shot are called up and done.

They have really come a long way, but just the organization and use of them is less that user friendly on anything longer than the bottom of the screen. I got me 200" x 30" curved monitor then I would be golden. 🤣

49" one

C49RG9_003_Back_Black_600x600.jpg?$bu-pd

• Haha 2
22 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Viewsheets are like snap shots of the programming process. I use them all the time now for sending files to customers. I have SETUP defined and they click on that viewsheet and go to everything I was using for that setup. I have them on some project for the index angles for a part. One part on a HBM has 80 index angles. Each one has a viewsheet. As I am programming around the part I hit that viewsheet and the planes and levels associated to that snap shot are called up and done.

They have really come a long way, but just the organization and use of them is less that user friendly on anything longer than the bottom of the screen. I got me 200" x 30" curved monitor then I would be golden. 🤣

49" one

C49RG9_003_Back_Black_600x600.jpg?$bu-pd

I'll see if I can expedite a quick .net solution while the mfc framework develops. 

I'll probably use winforms for a quick prototype.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, SlaveCam said:

Winforms is (still) great for business and data oriented apps

Yes it is, I barely use anything else.

I made a project last week that uses c# scripting and winforms on the front end and modern opengl and c++/cli on the back end, it's awesome.

I got opengl 1.1 up and running in c# with only using pinvoke to get the functions from c.

I'm thinking winforms is easier than mfc for small teams by a long shot.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:50 PM, crazy^millman said:

Glad to see you've seen the light with them Ron :hrhr:

You're one of the <1% regarding the complexity of your parts you work on - for us mere mortals, they are fantastic for simple 3ax side 1 (flip) side 2 parts, and rotary/Hori parts where we can set 1 view sheet per plane/set-up.

For what you're doing, it would be a good enhancement to be able to have a "folder" on the bottom bar - where you can name that folder (for instance OP1 G54) and then have as many flyouts of your view sheets within it.

Or i guess it could be built into the planes manager...another click though to access...

On 2/15/2021 at 11:46 PM, Thee Byte™ said:

The option to leave the viewsheets where they are (at the bottom) but have a vertical scrolling "up" the screen would be my vote.

But for Ronaldos type of work with many many viewsheet requirements, there'd have to be some sort of folder or master viewsheet at the bottom, and then clicking on that would open up the vertical fly-out with all other viewsheets (related to that "folder") within it.

In my head anyway...:fun:

Or maybe have the 1st viewsheet, on the left bottom, be a vertical fly-up menu with scrolling, while maintaining the current setup? That would seem to offer the best of both worlds.

Here where I work we would be able to make great use of this! On our routers, we program a lot of aircraft interiors; all of the divans, galleys, lavatories, bulkheads & assorted other furniture. Each complete assembly is composed of multiple honeycomb panels, of various materials and thicknesses, as well as separate hardwood parts. So we have 1 - 4 viewsheets for each panel (as there are usually at least 2 operations for each panel). This can add up to 20 - 50 or more viewsheets per program.

But we also do a lot of standard 3 & 5 axis programming that rarely use more than 3 or 4 viewsheets. So having both options incorporated like this would be fantastic.

What do you think @Thee Byte™ is this something worth putting in an enhancement request for?