Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mazacheck

For those w the Mazacheck funtions on their machines (I assume same could be said of Renishaw's Axiset...)   How do you set your artifact?   Should we clear our pallet before performing measurements...or mount the artifact in the vise (which is in the machine 99% of the time).  

Seems to make sense to measure the ball mounted in/on the vise...but then again...its quite a distance away from the COR at that point...don't know if that matters.  thx 

I try to keep the artifact as close to center of rotation for both rotaries whenever possible when running AxiSet. This minimizes any rotary error. 

But, I do not typically make people break setups down and have ran it mounted in various locations to make it work. You can get creative with AxiSet, not sure of the differences between it and Mazacheck.

I am of the mind set don't do it in one place. I would move it around the take data in 5 to 9 positions.

5 Positions would be as such.

Center, 3, 6, 9 ,12 on a clock face. Then at Zero, 45 and 90 degrees for a total of 15 fixed positions. Then I would do the swivel check at each of them for 20 collected data points.

9 Positions would be as such.

Center, 12, 1:30, 3, 4:30, 6, 7:30, 9, 10:30, 12 on a clock face. Then at Zero, 45 and 90 degrees for a total of 27 fixed positions. Then I would do the swivel check at each of them for 36 collected data points.

Calibrate a PCMM probe by hand a few times and what I am saying makes perfect sense. One place hard to know the total volumetric accuracy and adjust for it. By having it in many places you get an overall average and then can dial the complete working envelope in verses focusing on one place.

13 hours ago, civiceg said:

I try to keep the artifact as close to center of rotation for both rotaries whenever possible when running AxiSet. This minimizes any rotary error. 

But, I do not typically make people break setups down and have ran it mounted in various locations to make it work. You can get creative with AxiSet, not sure of the differences between it and Mazacheck.

I'm not sure either on differences either...but it's enough that Renishaw says...it's Mazaks baby...and tbh i haven't quizzed Mazak about it in about a year; so their own understanding might be better now than it was. 

I've also got some CMM experience here...so what Crazy is saying makes sense also.  <is that a contradiction?? 🤪>

Thanks

• Haha 1

The problem is the inherent increased linear error as you move further from COR, due to the rotary error. 

Having the ball mounted as close to COR as possible you reduce this error. However, that being said nothing wrong with doing a sanity check at different locations to double check. 

I normally run AxiSet around each rotary axis around 10 times at one fixed location, depending how bad it was first off. At least every 45 degrees for each hit, as you can see outliers in the plot. For most machines I can easily get it sub .0005" total error. But it depends on the overall accuracy of the machine. Running AxiSet a bunch of times really allows you to find tune your COR values and to make sure it is repeatable. 

• Like 1