Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HSM Tutorial Needed...

morrissouth

On 2/9/2021 at 1:10 AM, morrissouth said:

...for 2D and 3D.  Looking for comprehensive explanation of the relationships between and the roles played of each type of chain/boundry (air, avoidance, containment, etc). Also need a thorough presentation of Opti-rough and similar toolpaths.

Thank you.

So, you're looking for a bunch of high-quality training materials? I'm guessing so you can teach a class?

That is a good bit of someone else's work, that you're asking them to share with you, for free.

I'd suggest looking at some of the Mastercam Signature Part Series Videos, which they post up on YouTube for free. Use that material (free knowledge), to build yourself a nice powerpoint to present these concepts.

Myself, I know the toolpaths and Mastercam System so well, that I typically just print up a basic outline of what subjects I'm going to cover in class, and then I just use example parts in a live-demo, and explain all the toolpath parameters.

Here is some free information that might help you:

For all the Dynamic Paths (2D Dynamic, Opti-Rough, Opti-Rest, Etc.), you're looking to maximize your Material Removal, by using "full flute length cuts", and only "stepping up" with shorter steps, in areas where the bulk of material has been cleared.

I typically like to use Endmills with at least 2:1 ratio (Depth to Diameter). The more "flute" you use, the less aggressive you can be with Radial Stepover.

Typical values for Aluminum:

RDOC = 15-40%. (Default = 30%)

ADOC = 100-400% (Default = 200% - 2:1)

Step-Up = 5-50% (depends on how steep the walls are, and how much leftover material for finish). (Default = 10%)

Typical values for Steel:

RDOC = 10-20%. (Default = 15%)

Step-Up = 5-50% (depends on how steep the walls are, and how much leftover material for finish). (Default = 10%)

Typical values for Stainless Steel:

RDOC = 5-15%. (Default = 8%)

Typical values for Titanium:

RDOC = 3-6%. (Default = 4%)

The longer your Flute Length (think; 3:1 or 4:1), the more you reduce the Radial Depth of Cut (RDOC), and Feed Values to compensate for the "bending" of the tool.

I like to use the Feed and Speed Wizard App, to calculate my Feed per Tooth and SFM values, based on material and tool type. The material and tool types are constantly updated and improved, and it makes dialing in a tool pretty simple, if you know a few basic starting parameters.

• Haha 1
  • 4 months later...
On 2/10/2021 at 4:08 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

So, you're looking for a bunch of high-quality training materials? I'm guessing so you can teach a class?

That is a good bit of someone else's work, that you're asking them to share with you, for free.

I'd suggest looking at some of the Mastercam Signature Part Series Videos, which they post up on YouTube for free. Use that material (free knowledge), to build yourself a nice powerpoint to present these concepts.

Myself, I know the toolpaths and Mastercam System so well, that I typically just print up a basic outline of what subjects I'm going to cover in class, and then I just use example parts in a live-demo, and explain all the toolpath parameters.

Here is some free information that might help you:

For all the Dynamic Paths (2D Dynamic, Opti-Rough, Opti-Rest, Etc.), you're looking to maximize your Material Removal, by using "full flute length cuts", and only "stepping up" with shorter steps, in areas where the bulk of material has been cleared.

I typically like to use Endmills with at least 2:1 ratio (Depth to Diameter). The more "flute" you use, the less aggressive you can be with Radial Stepover.

Typical values for Aluminum:

RDOC = 15-40%. (Default = 30%)

Typical values for Steel:

RDOC = 10-20%. (Default = 15%)

Typical values for Stainless Steel:

RDOC = 5-15%. (Default = 8%)

Typical values for Titanium:

RDOC = 3-6%. (Default = 4%)

The longer your Flute Length (think; 3:1 or 4:1), the more you reduce the Radial Depth of Cut (RDOC), and Feed Values to compensate for the "bending" of the tool.

I like to use the Feed and Speed Wizard App, to calculate my Feed per Tooth and SFM values, based on material and tool type. The material and tool types are constantly updated and improved, and it makes dialing in a tool pretty simple, if you know a few basic starting parameters.

Great post Colin!  Do you actually do classes, or is that something you do through your employer?

1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

Great post Colin!  Do you actually do classes, or is that something you do through your employer?

Currently I'm only working with Methods Machine Tool, but I am available for training through Methods. I have taught many online Mastercam classes in the past, and have been uploading video footage of some of my prior classes to YouTube. I'd love to do another online training class, but I'm so busy with working for Methods and dealing with my family, that I just don't have the time to commit to teaching outside of work.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Currently I'm only working with Methods Machine Tool, but I am available for training through Methods. I have taught many online Mastercam classes in the past, and have been uploading video footage of some of my prior classes to YouTube. I'd love to do another online training class, but I'm so busy with working for Methods and dealing with my family, that I just don't have the time to commit to teaching outside of work.

If you ever do any, please message me!   Your YT vids are great, but I would  definitely take a class run by you or some of the other guys on eMC.

• Like 1