Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Understanding blueprint?

Coco

Hello, I am trying to learn how to read blueprints. 

1. I am trying to figure out the measurements of the little gaps on the neck.  

2. The "5.06" measurement does not go all the way to the perpendicular washerface wall.

3. The 4.187 measurement assumes you know the distance of the little gap.

CenteringConnectionRod_v02.thumb.png.c32cd8eaf806c961f509b53a98062d4c.png

CenteringConnectionRod_v02.png

Basic math and this print was made this way to represent what you see in the real world. Everything you need to define the part is there.

5.06+.093=5.153 gives you the distance from the Shoulder to the end of the part. Detail A define the Groove against the should .093 Wide by .062 deep per side or .125 diametrically. The other one is 4.187 + .093 from the shoulder and it .125 wide x .062 deep per side or .125 diametrically.

Then that also helps you define the length of the thread.

5.06-4.187-.125=.748

Neck means relief or groove depending on what part of the country your from. Now model it Mastercam with the thread and post it up. 😉

I just modeled a Fixture that has create date of 1972 with a revision date of 1973 on the print and you want talk about some missing dimensions on a print. It is a fixture for the old Shuttle engines. Still have the original tooling so we were able to white light scan it and pull the missing stuff.

Hello, crazy^millman.  I'm trying to learn.  I see where you got the measurement of "5.06."  But where did you get the information in the drawing to do basic math?  In other words, I do not see where you gathered the information in the drawing.

"5.06+.093=5.153 gives you the distance from the Shoulder to the end of the part. Detail A define the Groove against the should .093 Wide by .062 deep per side or .125 diametrically. The other one is 4.187 + .093 from the shoulder and it .125 wide x .062 deep per side or .125 diametrically."

I appreciate your help,

20 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hello, crazy^millman.  I'm trying to learn.  I see where you got the measurement of "5.06."  But where did you get the information in the drawing to do basic math?  In other words, I do not see where you gathered the information in the drawing.

"5.06+.093=5.153 gives you the distance from the Shoulder to the end of the part. Detail A define the Groove against the should .093 Wide by .062 deep per side or .125 diametrically. The other one is 4.187 + .093 from the shoulder and it .125 wide x .062 deep per side or .125 diametrically."

I appreciate your help,

1.png.1b5cf946fbe0b0188703c80ca79c0144.png

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Coco said:

I appreciate your help,

Your welcome, but please read it again I used the word neck on the print. I even gave two different definitions for the word which should be clues that it means something and is important. The other clue was the reference to Detail A on the print. Sorry I took drafting class where we drew the blueprint and all the correct pencil leads and fonts back in 1984 in Jr High School back when we learned more than core stuff that doesn't really help you in the real world.

Thank you Zeke for Circling the 2 areas to pull that information from.

I'm new to blueprints,

1. I don't understand the "Neck.125X0 .062"  and how that relates to the basic math.   Neck .125X0 .062   is very strange to me.   I would love to know more about this.

2. "Neck ..093X .062"   is also very strange.   I would love to understand this.

Is there a web site that converts these measurements into metric easy to understand layman language?

Thank you Zeke, for circling the measurements in question.

5 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Basic math and this print was made this way to represent what you see in the real world. Everything you need to define the part is there.

5.06+.093=5.153 gives you the distance from the Shoulder to the end of the part. Detail A define the Groove against the should .093 Wide by .062 deep per side or .125 diametrically. The other one is 4.187 + .093 from the shoulder and it .125 wide x .062 deep per side or .125 diametrically.

Then that also helps you define the length of the thread.

5.06-4.187-.125=.748

Neck means relief or groove depending on what part of the country your from. Now model it Mastercam with the thread and post it up. 😉

I just modeled a Fixture that has create date of 1972 with a revision date of 1973 on the print and you want talk about some missing dimensions on a print. It is a fixture for the old Shuttle engines. Still have the original tooling so we were able to white light scan it and pull the missing stuff.

I just now understood what you wrote, Crazy^millman.    Thank you, so much.  That took a long time to sink into my head.   You wrote it so well, I don't know why it took me so long understand.   Many thanks to you.

Cheers,

The "Neck x X x" callouts are giving the width by depth dimensions of the grooves in the shaft. The .375-16UNC callout is the SAE thread size in diameter & threads per inch the .875 following the depth symbol is the depth that the hole is tapped to. The Chamfer callout gives the angle of the chamfer feature & the orthographic width of it.

9 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

The "Neck x X x" callouts are giving the width by depth dimensions of the grooves in the shaft. The .375-16UNC callout is the SAE thread size in diameter & threads per inch the .875 following the depth symbol is the depth that the hole is tapped to. The Chamfer callout gives the angle of the chamfer feature & the orthographic width of it.

I don't quit understand yet, but I'm going to learn about thread size and diameter.  Thank you "So not a Guru."  This blueprint it leading me into new territory.   Ha ha.

In Mastercam, how would I figure out these two radii?

I had two assumptions that did not seem to work out.

Assumption 1 : I assume I would need another entity to create an arc with the proper radius.

Assumption 2 : I assume I would need a pivot point to draw a circle then remove the unwanted part of the circle to get the arc.

I'm learning as I throw myself into this blueprint I found on the internet.   Thank you all for your help.

test.png

16 minutes ago, Coco said:

I don't quit understand yet, but I'm going to learn about thread size and diameter.  Thank you "So not a Guru."  This blueprint it leading me into new territory.   Ha ha.

Buy a Machinist Handbook. It goes over threads and gives you more information than you would even want to know about threads. I am the nerd that had read those sections page by page from start to end several times.

10th grade year of Machine shop in High School. We have to turn a shaft by hand with 3 steps on it from 2" bar stock. We had  to make RH 1-1/2" - 6 UNC thread, for 4", then 1-1-4" - 7 UNC for the next 4" and then a 1" - 8 UNC thread the next 4" on a manual lathe. We had to grind our own tools and everything. Then we had to cut those threads off and do next 1/4" size smaller LH hand threads in those 3 places.

4 minutes ago, Coco said:

In Mastercam, how would I figure out these two radii?

I had two assumptions that did not seem to work out.

Assumption 1 : I assume I would need another entity to create an arc with the proper radius.

Assumption 2 : I assume I would need a pivot point to draw a circle then remove the unwanted part of the circle to get the arc.

I'm learning as I throw myself into this blueprint I found on the internet.   Thank you all for your help.

test.png

Look to the .625 dimension to he left view tells you where the bottom of the 1.875 Radius is. The top of the 1.875 Radius is the .750 Diameter at the 2.937+1.25+1.25=5.337 from the bottom. The other distance  is 1.13+2.500-1.00=2.80 from the shoulder. Draw the bottom line and the top arc then create an arc tangent to 2 entities and Mastercam will do the rest for you.

3 minutes ago, Coco said:

Good Lord, that was an intense 10th grade machine shop class.

Back in the late 80's we still learned things like this in Vocational School.

Thank you for trying and not giving up. :clap:

I'm try to understand how the bottom R 1.875 connects to the top R .750.   

1. Thank you for explaining how to find the center of the  R 1.875.

2. I now see where the R 1.875 starts and ends.

3. How did you figure out the slight tangent arc coming off the R .750 that connects to the R 1.875 on the bottom?

Thank you again for helping me understand this blueprint.

test.png

57 minutes ago, Coco said:

I just drew a tangent line connecting the two entities.  Is this correct?  The drawing looks like there is a slight arc where they meet in the middle.   I used a lline.

test.png

That is what I call a grey area and would probably do it exactly like you did. Good work!!

Here is a good site to get information about dimensions and other things. I like reading their articles from time to time.

GD&T Basics

14 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

That is a fillet where the angular arms meet the horizontal surface. 

I didn't explain that one, but yes it should come in contact with the part at the cross section area and is controlled by the 1.875R and 1.25+1.25=2.50 from the bottom edge. I don't think in comes in contact with your line from the .750 boss, but without drawing it out hard to tell.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Coco said:

Thank you, Rekd and Crazy^millman.   I hope to get the Solid work done, by tomorrow.  

Thank you all for helping understand this blue print.   

Gotta find another challenging blueprint after this one.  :)

That is how you get better pushing yourself and trying new things. Don't be afraid to fail or make a mistake we all do.