Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to load tooling ball on a fixture

Mario Alvarez

Purchase said tooling ball from a company. Unpackage said tooling ball from box. Clean said tooling ball. Looking for place you want said tooling ball to be installed into. Make sure you align he leading edge correctly for the hole it will be inserted into. Then push lightly into the hole. I like a .0002 to .0005 larger hole for the tooling ball depending on the size of the tooling ball. Sometimes people will nick or damage the upper surface of the tooling ball location and I will take a tool makers round stone and use it to help deburr the edge if that happens. I also will make sure the slight radius or taper that is on the tooling ball is not damaged. I have had someone order Metric tooling balls before and then wonder why they done fit in Inch holes. 

Now if you are referring to moving them in Mastercam and placing them on solid model that is a different conversation all together. X-from Dynamic and use the control button to switch the gnomon control of the Dynamic to then align the Z axis of the centerline of tooling ball. Then switch back to the movement process with X-form dynamic and grab the center ball of the Dynamic Gnomon and then move where you need. Once you are happy with where it is hit enter and have a nice day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
On 2/16/2021 at 4:12 AM, Mario Alvarez said:

I am having problem loading tooling balls on a fixture 

does anybody have an idea on which is the easiest way

File --> merge the tooling ball solid model into your fixture file, then use Model Prep --> Align to face to align a face of the tooling ball to a face of the fixture. Then from there you can use transform --> Dynamic to move the solid into position. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1