Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how to force Mastercam to keep tool Perpendicular to Work face

CNC_Newbie

I need to know what the best strategy is to keep a half inch iend mill that is cutting on the horizontal to maintain perpendicular angle to the work face. 

I’m routing panels and I have vertical cuts and horizontal cuts that exist on the same plane. Z controls the height of the plane.  I have noticed that as long as the tool is maintaining a 90 degree angle (on the horizonta cutl) it cuts perfectly. However when the tool passes over the part on a horizontal curve, it does not rotate on the C axsis, only moves the to tool on the X,Y & Z  (we are on a Head Table setup) and it chatters on these curves.   I need the tool to maintain 90 degrees to the part in the C Axis and keep everything else that is doing.  

In the photo below you can see the chatter in the part, I just know that if I can make the tool rotate on the C Axis to maintain a Perpendicular cutting angle this will not happen anymore.  Everything cuts beautiful where the tool is Perpendicular to the part.

I started learning MasterCam less than 3 weeks ago, but I know the answer lives in Multi Axis Control. I suspect I need to place a reference point and use the "Around a Point" option. I know there is a bunch of ways to do ONE thing in Mastercam.   How would you folks handle this situation?  

Thanks for taking time to help a newbie.    

42EE3E55-5216-499A-A43C-C30DD98B1AE4.jpeg

Need to see a sample toolpath to know how your approaching it. 5 axis toolpaths have all types of controls and depending on which one you are using there are different ways to control it.

BTW none of us get paid to help others we do it out of the kindness of our hearts so might want to think about that before you get an attitude. 🤨

• Like 3
1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

Need to see a sample toolpath to know how your approaching it. 5 axis toolpaths have all types of controls and depending on which one you are using there are different ways to control it.

BTW none of us get paid to help others we do it out of the kindness of our hearts so might want to think about that before you get an attitude. 🤨

Some of us do it while watching for our boss to come through the door...

• Haha 1

The best strategy is to use "Tilt Lines", which are just lines (vectors) in space, that the tool will use for angular position, as it moves between lines.

When you select the line for a Tool Axis Control Line, make sure the arrow is pointing "towards the machine spindle", and away from the part geometry you are cutting.

Selection order for the lines does not matter.

For each "straight section", where you don't want the tool to rotate, create at least 3 lines. One at the start, one at the middle, and another "just before you want the tool to rotate". Then create lines after that "end line", which mimic the rotation which you want the tool to make.

For example, if you were going around a 90 degree corner, I would create about 5 lines to get around that bend. One line at the start, about 3 evenly spaced on the curve, and one at the end. (The "end line" would be perpendicular to the next "straight" section.)

• Like 2

Please send me a Mastercam file and I will program this operation for you with different solutions, 

I'm not the best of the bests but I do have a few years of experience in programming multitasking machines and 5x  variaxis 

also when I had trouble with a really complex 5 axis job this guy helped me a few times:

good multiaxis tutorials

he actually says in his tutorials that he helps his subscribers (for free)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwYPN_sM3u-_D8bUfUD_pXA

• Like 1

Thanks fellas!  I greatly appreciate all of your tine.   If I came  off as being Rude, or having an attitude, this was not my intention .  I am extremely grateful for all of your time and help. 

I responded after 7 hours of my initial post. I was just checking to see if anyone had given some advice, saw none, and made a quick response. This part is running 90% well and if so can just figure out the 2 moves on the tool path, I can wrap this part up.  I was hoping to figure it out before we pulled the fixture down and moved ion to the next job, but I made notes and will definitely fix this issues. In the coming days 

I just want to also say, I totally understand that this forum is FREE, and folks help out of the kindness of their heart.  I do the same on many other forums where I know much more about the subject at hand. I help anyone who needs it, for free in  Photography, photoshop, illustrator, premiere  pro, after effects, c4d, maya, blender, post processing, as well as in the UAV world. In short I always try to pay it forward.  So I get it, I really do.

I hope that in time you folks will see that as I learn this software I plan to help anyone I can that needs help.

Again, I appreciate your input, all of you, and I’ll follow up once I figure it out or ask more newbie , less rude, (hopefully), questions. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

That said you still didn't share a sample file. How do you help others if you don't have a sample to help them with? Get something close and let someone see it then we can see how best to point you.

Glad you get it, but now time to step up and show some sweat equality.

It will be Monday. I was on the floor all day today doing fixture installs and part set up of a new jobs. This is no easy task as there are zero notes on fixture placement, and no less than 11 offsets  that all needs to be adjusted to make this crazy manually created Goode program (created by hand years ago)  to work.  This place gives no free time for tweaking the process, it’s all about production. I was hoping to fix that issue quickly when the part was on the table. I can’t take the files home, so I’ll have to go in on my lunch Monday to  make a photo and video of the tool paths and black plot. 

I can’t share the file to the public as all of the actual models are protected property via the company and customer 

So what would be the best way too share a file here that does not contain the actual model?  Is it possible to strip the model and share only the tool path?

11 hours ago, CNC_Newbie said:

It will be Monday. I was on the floor all day today doing fixture installs and part set up of a new jobs. This is no easy task as there are zero notes on fixture placement, and no less than 11 offsets  that all needs to be adjusted to make this crazy manually created Goode program (created by hand years ago)  to work.  This place gives no free time for tweaking the process, it’s all about production. I was hoping to fix that issue quickly when the part was on the table. I can’t take the files home, so I’ll have to go in on my lunch Monday to  make a photo and video of the tool paths and black plot. 

I can’t share the file to the public as all of the actual models are protected property via the company and customer 

So what would be the best way too share a file here that does not contain the actual model?  Is it possible to strip the model and share only the tool path?

Get the Home Learning Edition and then you can toolpath to anything you want to draw up. 

I like you're thinking and wanting to make things better. One thing you will learn in most shop they are tripping over $100 bills to save a penny.

I wanted an owner to purchase inserted drills for a job. This was 1995 and he had us using a 4" HSS spade drill on a Conventional lathe by hand drilling out blanks to go into our CNC lathe. This shop was all about production as well an the owner kept a job card on every project to show you how bad they were doing if you didn't meet rate. Problem he had with me I was also making better than rate on everything I did and showing him up with CNC Equipment over the conventional equipment. We had big order of these hubs and I asked for him to purchase an Inserted 2" drill to use in the CNC lathe and I would also use it to rough the ID of the parts with. He flat out told me no. I told him I could do better on the job and he didn't care. His wife was not stupid and should would get us what we needed behind his back. Most of the guys were unwilling to go that route, but I knew it was a better way. I was talking to her about it and he showed up and is pissed I am trying to purchase this drill. She wouldn't do it so I told them I purchase the drill and inserts with my own money. I wanted 50% of the profit on that job every time we ran it trying it my way. He said oh yeah sure and when it fails then what? I said we have a proven way and I will go back to that no complaints. Drill shows up I throw the 1stpart in there and scream through the part with that drill and rough out the ID in about 6 minutes. It use to take over one hour to drill the hole by hand on the Conventional Lathe, Time it was all said and done they have made about $3,600 better on that run of parts than the previous best ever done which was done by me, He paid me for the drill and that was it refused to pay me the agreed upon 50% of the profit. Said I was lucky to have a job for being so disobedient. That kind of stuff went for the 4 years I worked there. Learn what you can and if things don't improve you move on and learn more at the next place even when they don't want you to learn you can still pick up experience. 

• Like 1