Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

YouTube Live - 5-Axis Programming Intro - SAT_27FEB21_14:00EST

Colin Gilchrist

8 minutes ago, neurosis said:

Hey Colin-

Can we post a link to this over on the dark side for the people who may want to see this but don't frequent this forum anymore? 

Already done.

I messaged Colin about it yesterday.

Just now, neurosis said:

Awesome. 

I saw that you'd posted the original text.  I wasn't aware that you'd messaged him and had already posted the link.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, I wouldn't share anything without the authors permission, no worries.

I did the link this morning.

Like you, I didn't want anyone to miss opportunities because they left the site!

:offtopic:

2 hours ago, neurosis said:

lol.  How many states have you lived in now, Colin? 

A total of 4 states. But I moved to Connecticut twice, so a total of 5 different places since 2011. Funny enough, I moved back to Lakewood Washington for about 18 months, and 6 months in I was already missing the East Coast.

The final straw for me was the C.H.O.P situation, and the general tolerance for homeless drug addicts. Needles, garbage, feces, aggressive panhandling, crazy high rents, and a super condescending attitude. What's not to love?

Oh, and don't forget that 50% (at least) of the adult population drives like absolute garbage. At least we all do 80 on the freeways here, past the troopahs, and they don't bat an eye. If you're doing faster than that, you'll get a ticket eventually, but I do 78 everywhere, and don't even have to tap the brakes when I see an officer of the law. It is glorious. The cold sucks, but it really makes you appreciate the good weather when it is comes.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

A total of 4 states. But I moved to Connecticut twice, so a total of 5 different places since 2011. Funny enough, I moved back to Lakewood Washington for about 18 months, and 6 months in I was already missing the East Coast.

The final straw for me was the C.H.O.P situation, and the general tolerance for homeless drug addicts. Needles, garbage, feces, aggressive panhandling, crazy high rents, and a super condescending attitude. What's not to love?

Oh, and don't forget that 50% (at least) of the adult population drives like absolute garbage. At least we all do 80 on the freeways here, past the troopahs, and they don't bat an eye. If you're doing faster than that, you'll get a ticket eventually, but I do 78 everywhere, and don't even have to tap the brakes when I see an officer of the law. It is glorious. The cold sucks, but it really makes you appreciate the good weather when it is comes.

How do you like those roundabouts Colin??  Pretty tricky in the snow and ice aren't they ??

:coffee:

3 hours ago, CADCAM3D5AXIS said:

How do you like those roundabouts Colin??  Pretty tricky in the snow and ice aren't they ??

:coffee:

They sure do love roundabouts and connector roads. The ice can get bad too, but I have been fortunate enough to be able to work from home for most of our bad weather events this year. The one gnarly drive I've had so far this year was up to NH for the day. Most of the drive was plowed and salted, but the last ten miles or so was a little bit hairy. Fortunately I got a Subaru Forester for the AWD system, and have decent all season tires. Next year I will consider a dedicated set of winter tires, and I'd love to get studs. AWD with stud would be basically unstoppable, even on ice. But I'm not sure I'll be able to drive NE Speed on the Pike with studs.

• Like 1

This Video was Fantastic! It explained so much!  I can’t thank you enough for sharing his valuable time and invaluable knowledge and skills. Really, it was helpful on so many levels. I’m sure once you get a handle on the OBS software it will go easier for you.

Learning axis control basics was fantastic and the fact you took the tine to show how to simplify the generated code  fully opened my eyes. What a time saver that will be for the fellow that spends days stripping and patching code.

I have so much to learn, but at least I  have had a peek behind the curtains and seen the wizard!

Colin… you sir are THE MAN!

Again, THANK YOU!  

On 2/26/2021 at 9:49 AM, neurosis said:

Hey Colin-

Can we post a link to this over on the dark side for the people who may want to see this but don't frequent this forum anymore? 

What is the dark side?

2 minutes ago, CNC_Newbie said:

This Video was Fantastic! It explained so much!  I can’t thank you enough for sharing his valuable time and invaluable knowledge and skills. Really, it was helpful on so many levels. I’m sure once you get a handle on the OBS software it will go easier for you.

Learning axis control basics was fantastic and the fact you took the tine to show how to simplify the generated code  fully opened my eyes. What a time saver that will be for the fellow that spends days stripping and patching code.

I have so much to learn, but at least I  have had a peek behind the curtains and seen the wizard!

Colin… you sir are THE MAN!

Again, THANK YOU!  

What is the dark side?

Follow the first link in my signature.

2 hours ago, CNC_Newbie said:

@Thee Byte  I see <((*))> <((*))>  I have to Link mastercam to my email (or something like this) and  to do so, I have to install some sort of utility on the work PC to make that happen. Thus I am not registered in that forum. I dont want to install anything on the work machine. 

I think you are confusing the 2 sites..

On 3/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, Thee Byte™ said:

I think you are confusing the 2 sites..

Indeed I did. Mastercam.com forums is the one that requires you link your software license to be able to access the forum.  Is that forum a good forum. Is it worth the efforts to join that forum?

iI just joined the so called Darkside, I look forward to seeing some of you folks there too.  

For some reason I thought the E in E mastercam forum stood for Europe

Hey Colin, I have a question/idea for a follow up video to the 5 axis trimming video you did. I think it would be helpful to discuss how ones goes out, “Linking Operations”.  It would be amazing to select all the edges of a part and make the tool move as you wish at each different feature.  For example, with axis control doe a specific cut, let’s say you use lines for a long straight cut, but if you have a curve or a surface that interrupts the straight line and you want to control the axis with a point. You have to create a separate operation. How do you link the 2 operations?  Let’s say you want to keep the cutter in the cut vs it resetting (retracting to a safe space) and re entering the cut for the second, third, forth, ect.. operations. 

Also how does one handle unwinds? Is that a direct function of the post matched to your machine?

Last question, is it possible to ever create an post from mastercam that does not need to be edited by hand? I was told,”You will always have to edit the post manually, there is no way around it”.  IMHO, that has to be wrong. I just think he needs to learn mastercam better.

One of the things that I found very interesting was how you used Steps in one of the dialog boxes (axis control I think) to keep the file sizes smaller.  This was fantastic news. As I have watched the fellow at work strip every other line of Goode away many times to make the files smaller  

5 hours ago, CNC_Newbie said:

Indeed I did. Mastercam.com forums is the one that requires you link your software license to be able to access the forum.  Is that forum a good forum. Is it worth the efforts to join that forum?

Yes, that website is owned by Cnc Software, the makers of Mastercam.

You will get the best possible support there, as some of the experts who visit therem don't come here.

5 hours ago, CNC_Newbie said:

iI just joined the so called Darkside, I look forward to seeing some of you folks there too.

Yes, I saw you joined, I have the same username over there, fee; free to contact me if you have questions.

10 hours ago, CNC_Newbie said:

Hey Colin, I have a question/idea for a follow up video to the 5 axis trimming video you did. I think it would be helpful to discuss how ones goes out, “Linking Operations”.  It would be amazing to select all the edges of a part and make the tool move as you wish at each different feature.  For example, with axis control doe a specific cut, let’s say you use lines for a long straight cut, but if you have a curve or a surface that interrupts the straight line and you want to control the axis with a point. You have to create a separate operation. How do you link the 2 operations?  Let’s say you want to keep the cutter in the cut vs it resetting (retracting to a safe space) and re entering the cut for the second, third, forth, ect.. operations. 

Also how does one handle unwinds? Is that a direct function of the post matched to your machine?

Last question, is it possible to ever create an post from mastercam that does not need to be edited by hand? I was told,”You will always have to edit the post manually, there is no way around it”.  IMHO, that has to be wrong. I just think he needs to learn mastercam better.

Many ways to link 5 Axis toolpath. 5 Axis Linking and Curve 5 axis using geometry back plotted from the 2 operations.

Unwinds can be handled many different ways. A Prewind helps and then most posts have switch to help this process. The toolpath themselves also need to be considered and programmed in a way to now do this.

I have posted 800 hour running programs that have never been hand edited. I was posting molds than ran 170 hours back in 2001 using V9 Mastercam. Thing is no one ever took to the time to do it correctly and accepted what they got verses trying to make it better. Then they blamed the software for their unwillingness to make it better. Sorry to say, but this is pretty typical.