Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

array 2 circles along a multiple curve line

allaces

Does anyone know how I can equally array a (2 circle set) along a multiple curve line as shown in the included jpg?

I show 3 blue circle sets in the jpg to hopefully  show what I mean. I want to array  one set over a multiple curve lines equally spaced (closer than shown).

I want them to straddle the curved lines and also keep them parallel to the curves. 

182074700_ARRAYOVERCURVES.jpg.ce51912ec4c2cba899a7123d677cba8c.jpg

I appreciate your response, If I understand what "point segment"  does is it basically divides the curves into even lengths. But it does not array the (2 circle sets) along the segmented lengths. The (2 circle sets) would need to be "manually" copied and "rotated" in 2 directions to make them parallel to the segmented curves that I just created. Is that correct? If so... it would be "very tedious" for me to work out all the rotations required for 100 segments. I was hoping to find a way to avoid that.

Click on the Wireframe Ribbon, Then navigate to point, then to point segment. In there you have 2 options. 1st one is by distance and the 2nd one is by number. You have the selection method to pick entity or chain. Mastercam is a Pre-Selection capable software. What that means is you can pick entities and then pick your process and done. Or you can do the post selection process where you pick things you want to do then apply them to entities. This is one of those functions that can be applied pre or post selection of the entities.

crazy^millman

It seems that I may have edited my post while you were responding to my original question.  I'll restate my issue in case I confused the issue:

I appreciate your response, If I understand what "point segment"  does is it basically divides the curves  or spline into even lengths. But it does not array the (2 circle sets) along the segmented lengths. The (2 circle sets) would need to be "manually" copied and "rotated" in 2 directions to make them parallel to the segmented curves that I just created. Is that correct? If so... it would be "very tedious" for me to work out all the rotations required for 100 segments. I was hoping to find a way to avoid that.

22 hours ago, allaces said:

crazy^millman

It seems that I may have edited my post while you were responding to my original question.  I'll restate my issue in case I confused the issue:

I appreciate your response, If I understand what "point segment"  does is it basically divides the curves  or spline into even lengths. But it does not array the (2 circle sets) along the segmented lengths. The (2 circle sets) would need to be "manually" copied and "rotated" in 2 directions to make them parallel to the segmented curves that I just created. Is that correct? If so... it would be "very tedious" for me to work out all the rotations required for 100 segments. I was hoping to find a way to avoid that.

Sorry, but it is a CAM software not a CAD software and for what you thinking you would need to build a parametric process that a lot of factors into account. It would be easier if you have a surface to pull normals from to help direct or help with directional changes you would be facing. I think it will be some work and take some time to accomplish the task I think you are after in Mastercam since it is extremely involved.

• Like 2

Yes... I was afraid of the answer.

I will try to make 2 parallel line paths  (inner and outer segmented paths) using the ball centers that should help in determining  the placement for at least the Z axis, and I will then try to fudge the angles for the other. This might get me close enough for what I need.

Thanks for your help. I understand that CAM software not a CAD software  but because Mastercam can do so much nowadays, I thought it was worth asking.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, allaces said:

Yes... I was afraid of the answer.

I will try to make 2 parallel line paths  (inner and outer segmented paths) using the ball centers that should help in determining  the placement for at least the Z axis, and I will then try to fudge the angles for the other. This might get me close enough for what I need.

Thanks for your help. I understand that CAM software not a CAD software  but because Mastercam can do so much nowadays, I thought it was worth asking.

Noted and wish I could provide a better answer. Colin pointed you in a good direction.