Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

TURNING NURBS INTO USEABLE GEOMETRY

jean

I  have a skewed flat pattern that I created curve on edges and then proceeded to project curves to a plane but it turned them unto NURBS , I went and tried to simplify Spline but that didn't work! Im writing a circle mill tool path for a series of holes on a waterjet and when trying to select geometry for toolpath it doesn't register a selection because its NURBS..

Thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Vericut Free Tools has a covert Chains tool that is very nice for situations like this. You want 200 control point tell it and get them. You want 1000 control point then tell the tool 1000 and you get them. I use ti all the time for create consistent splines for making complex net surfaces.

how do you get those? I have VS-Tools... I'm guessing you have to buy the software?

16 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Nope it is in the free tools. It is called Fit Curve from Chain. It has 2 Splines in the ICON. Sorry out of Space on the Forum to share a screen shot.

Hi Ron,

I recently went through and deleted a bunch of old attachments in my account, for this very reason. I think we are limited to a certain amount of data. I saw a bunch of old X6-X8 stuff I uploaded in old posts, and ended up clearing out about 1/2 of my storage.

I figure if anyone finds those old posts, and the attachment is important, they can create a new thread asking for help. As the old files get out of date, there may be a better solution that is in the newer versions of Mastercam anyway...

Click the Drop-Down for 'Your profile', and you'll see "My Attachments". Click on that link, and you can go through your old posts, to delete old pictures and files that were uploaded previously.

15 minutes ago, Thee Byte™ said:

If verisurf has a tool for it that's a good choice, you might get the arcs using break many and join entities.

Can you share an example of the geometry?

yeah give me a sec!

54 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Hi Ron,

I recently went through and deleted a bunch of old attachments in my account, for this very reason. I think we are limited to a certain amount of data. I saw a bunch of old X6-X8 stuff I uploaded in old posts, and ended up clearing out about 1/2 of my storage.

I figure if anyone finds those old posts, and the attachment is important, they can create a new thread asking for help. As the old files get out of date, there may be a better solution that is in the newer versions of Mastercam anyway...

Click the Drop-Down for 'Your profile', and you'll see "My Attachments". Click on that link, and you can go through your old posts, to delete old pictures and files that were uploaded previously.

Colin done that and the issue is the time it takes to sort through them all and figure out which ones are ones to delete or keep. I start reviewing them and think that is helpful or that is good needs to stay. I have dumped many over the years to my company Dropbox and people download stuff from 8-15 years ago still. For now people like yourself, John and Peter are doing an excellent job helping others so just lurking more than anything.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, jean said:

Here is the sample file. it has 3 levels.....

one is the flat pattern solid, one is the curves on edge of  flat pattern (RED) and projected curves to a point in (BLUE) which turns diameter geo to NURBS

test geo_.mcam

To help you understand better. That face is flat and if you create a WCS on the flat face aligning how you want it you would get perfect lines and arcs.

35 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Jean the tools Ron is referring to need to be downloaded and added.

https://www.verisurf.com/verisurf-tools-for-mastercam/

yeah I actually have this installed already, but someone was talking about:

Vericut Free Tools has a covert Chains tool that is very nice for situations like this. You want 200 control point tell it and get them. You want 1000 control point then tell the tool 1000 and you get them. I use ti all the time for create consistent splines for making complex net surfaces.

1 minute ago, jean said:

It is is those tools under VS-Tools Tab - Then Select "Fit Curve from Chain" - then the dialog opens with these options.

10 minutes ago, jean said:

Sorry Verisurf Free Tools Not Vericut.