Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I got to spend all Day today learning mastrrcam

CNC_Newbie

Colin strikes again!

This morning  I woke up determined to program this new part that required mirroring of geometry, correcting the model placement and alignment to the world WCS.  I actually did a decent job programming the parts. I did things the caveman way, but I created decently smooth transitions around curves.

After I finished doing what I could  (70% completed) Colon stepped in and showed so many nuggets of goodness. chaining by color, how he uses levels, how the Gnomon really works. How dynamic transform is done. How all of the important setting work in 5 axis curve dialog work. How to create a point operation for clearing crashes during transitions between Operations.  It goes on and on! What was really amazing is how he used toolpath transform. My version of MC and his look  differently, (I dont have the Mirror tab) but I was able to fumble through the interface and mirror some tool paths, but this is somthing I definitely need to figure out 100%  I learned so much today , and tomorrow I’m going to hit it hard again 

Thanks Colin, I love this stuff 

Edited by CNC_Newbie
I was tired AH and saw lots of typos, Doh!
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Well this is my First attempt, it still have many tweaks to make it perfect. However I did learn a ton. Point operations are a life saver, better yet transforming toolpaths is AMAZING!

This is my first attempt and has taken me a month to get this far, Don't cut me up tp bad, I know stuff needs to be fixed, Some retracts need to be shortened, and I dont know how the winds will take place via our post.  Its going to be  fun week. 

• Like 1

Colin is the MAN!  I don't think to many folks know this software like he does. The programming in MasterCam is icing on the cake for this man.  Having watched many of his POST classes, it's obvious his passion is in  scripts and coding. He likes it behind the curtain where 99% of MasterCam users dont play. 

I hope that Colin makes lots of more programming vids. He explains things in such a way that it instantly sinks in.  Without Colin I would still be spinning my wheels. There are lots of MasterCam videos and tutorials, but nothing like what I have learned from the 2 that Colin did for me. 

On a side note, If I was wealthy, I would pay him to produce an entire series of videos that explains every one of the Program Options, like the, "Curve" and all the dialogue boxes inside & what they do. Then move into all of the need to know stuff like using planes for offsets, levels to divide stuff up so you can easily find and work with specific things as you program, ect, ect..

Also I would love to see a video where it's start to finish on a new machine.  Let's say you just got a new mill machine, your dealer sold you MasterCam and you have a Post (from Postbility perhaps) and you want to make simple part.  Let's start from the very top. How does he set up everything, folders, programs, all tips and tricks, how to establish config & defaults, his complete workflow, shortcuts, ect.. Its obvious Coin has dedicated much of his life to machines and MasterCam. He could make some invaluable tutorials that show his specific processes and workflow when working in MasterCam.

Unfortunately, I am not rich, but when I do get a start to finish workflow down cold, I will make these videos.  I will pay back in full everything that was given to me as I struggle to learn this new trade.  It won't be like anything from Colin, Ron, Caminstructor, Tom Stikkleman, Camtech Engineering but I'll do my best (long way to go).