Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5x peel mill

So not a Guru

19 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

Here's an example from the Tech Exchange showing a 2D Dynamic (which could also be set to zigzag) on a variable pitch lead screw using axis sub on a regular Mill license:

https://community.mastercam.com/TechExchange/Parts/19#partTitle

That is pretty cool. I'm assuming you created wireframe on the solid, then unwound it. How do you unwind it to a flat plane?

45 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

That is pretty cool. I'm assuming you created wireframe on the solid, then unwound it. How do you unwind it to a flat plane?

4 minutes ago, rchipper said:

Thanks for the share.

I'd like to know how that's done as well. ?? 

Look on Level 2 there is the Wireframe for the toolpath.

Zeke,

See attached, hopefully this gives you a leg up.  Once you start using this toolpath you likely won't use dynamic with axis sub.  If I get a chance in the next few weeks I will look into what I have done in the past to get axis sub working right.  My memory isn't having a lightbulb moment right now on what was wrong with the sample you provided, but I have had the same troubles in the past and was able to get it working right after some quick discussions back and forth with CNC.  IIRC it might have been machine definition related.

Happy toolpathing.

AXIS_SUB_MXPOCKET.mcam

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
48 minutes ago, Chris In-House Solutions said:

@So not a Guru If you want to cut the surface you need to eliminate the depth cuts.  I also changed the depth and top of stock values you had on the linking parameters page.  I changed the step over and toolpath rad to help regen the toolpath quicker.

AXIS_SUB1.mcam

Okay, I never tried backplot on this, because the toolpath is displayed as being nowhere near where the surface is. I see now that backplot displays correctly, while the toolpath is, apparently, completely unrelated to the actual toolpath. I'm not going to lie, this makes me very uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, So not a Guru said:

I'm not going to lie, this makes me very uncomfortable.

This is what I struggled with.  It can be fixed, I just don't remember right now how we did it, annnnnd my emails have been purged back a year....  so don't have any record of the conversation back and forth with tech support.....  Guess I need to start archiving emails.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, So not a Guru said:

Okay, I never tried backplot on this, because the toolpath is displayed as being nowhere near where the surface is. I see now that backplot displays correctly, while the toolpath is, apparently, completely unrelated to the actual toolpath. I'm not going to lie, this makes me very uncomfortable.

This is not right and I'll forward the file along. I, too, forget the specific thing that was causing this. The static toolpath display should match the backplot. In the cases where I saw this, the backplot was always correct and the posted code always matched the backplot. 

7 hours ago, Chally72 said:

This is not right and I'll forward the file along. I, too, forget the specific thing that was causing this. The static toolpath display should match the backplot. In the cases where I saw this, the backplot was always correct and the posted code always matched the backplot. 

So it is supposed to match! Please let me know what you find out.

3 hours ago, Chally72 said:

Yep, if I remember correctly it's an incorrect transformation matrix being applied to only the static toolpath display.

Well, I don't think I can use it. While it displays correctly it backplot, it most definitely does not in verify.

Very frustrating, I thought this would be a great path to add to the toolkit, but there is no way I'm risking crashing the machine with this.

On 3/29/2021 at 8:32 AM, huskermcdoogle said:

Zeke,

See attached, hopefully this gives you a leg up.  Once you start using this toolpath you likely won't use dynamic with axis sub.  If I get a chance in the next few weeks I will look into what I have done in the past to get axis sub working right.  My memory isn't having a lightbulb moment right now on what was wrong with the sample you provided, but I have had the same troubles in the past and was able to get it working right after some quick discussions back and forth with CNC.  IIRC it might have been machine definition related.

Happy toolpathing.

AXIS_SUB_MXPOCKET.mcam

Nick, I meant to thank for this a couple of days ago. This idea worked great for the part I was working on.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, So not a Guru said:

Nick, I meant to thank for this a couple of days ago. This idea worked great for the part I was working on.

It was what I was thinking and just didn't have time to break it down.

On 3/29/2021 at 5:32 AM, huskermcdoogle said:

Zeke,

Happy toolpathing.

AXIS_SUB_MXPOCKET.mcam

Excellent job of giving an example. Safe Travels on your cross country trip.