Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Convert Mesh to Surfaces Chook

49 minutes ago, gcode said:

I think the guys will take a 30 meg stl file saved out of a Verify session, try to turn it into a solid and crash their computer 😂

I've done that, I also made some nice watertight solids from stl.

1 hour ago, gcode said:

The new Mesh tools in MC2022 will eliminate a lot of the reasons people are always wanting to make solids from a "Saved from Verify" stl file

Definetly, there is some powerful stuff there,

but not at the level of mastercam solids yet, what with model prep push pull and move.

24 minutes ago, Thee Byte™ said:

but not at the level of mastercam solids yet, what with model prep push pull and move.

You are spoiled youngster :harhar:

Back in the day, even simple stl's were 2 or 300 meg.

I once tried to turn a 350 meg stl file of a roughed impeller into an IGES file using Vericut.

It was very very slow, so I left it running and went home for the weekend.

On Monday, my PC was a brick. The IGES file had gotten so big it ate my hard drive and crashed the PC.

Coming from a background like that, I find the stuff they do with STL's today amazing.

I used to have to verify just one vane of my impellers like a piece of pie, and even that brought my PC to it's knees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 4/1/2021 at 1:15 PM, gcode said:

You are spoiled youngster :harhar:

Back in the day, even simple stl's were 2 or 300 meg.

I once tried to turn a 350 meg stl file of a roughed impeller into an IGES file using Vericut.

It was very very slow, so I left it running and went home for the weekend.

On Monday, my PC was a brick. The IGES file had gotten so big it ate my hard drive and crashed the PC.

Coming from a background like that, I find the stuff they do with STL's today amazing.

I used to have to verify just one vane of my impellers like a piece of pie, and even that brought my PC to it's knees.

Yes, I am very lucky to live in such a modern time, I don't know how you did it with those old systems all those years..

There are a few cool instances with 2022 where I've found myself turning my surfaces into a mesh to do the model edits I want, rather than desiring the other way around. The smoothing and refinement possible on organic shapes is amazing. Specifically, I had one scenario where scanned intake port data for reverse engineering, and resultant wireframe cross sections, were resulting in some ripples in the NURBS surface that was swept through them. Send it out to mesh, use smoothing commands to remove ripples, path directly on the mesh, and done. Much simpler than syncing nodes and tweaking sectioned wireframe loops to try and smooth surface propogation.

I finally gave up and swapped my musclecar carb to EFI a few years ago after getting tired of cleaning the bowls and jets of ethanol jelly every spring and then chasing idle and mixture adjustments from spring to fall. The future is now, old man!

• Haha 3
On 4/3/2021 at 3:29 PM, Newbeeee™ said:

Give me the old days...simpler times....big carbs and no fuel injection....

:D

As a snowmobiler I love fuel injection, carbs suck on those machines in my opinion, the machine adjusts to the weather automatically and it makes a dig difference when going from warmer weather to super freezing. With a carbureted snowmobile we would get up to the UP and our sleds wouldn't start, have to pull them over for 20 minutes to get them to want to do anything over the freezing night, once i upgraded to a fuel injected snowmobile all those problems went away and the computer controls the engines choke, etc. and it starts right up wherever i am. 

It may have been simpler back then but that doesn't mean it was better in my opinion and you can keep your carbonators!