Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Validate

I can't use contur because when I enable multiple passes, it will start with ramping down to full z depth in the first pass, and then move on to the next pass and ramp down to that in full z depth. I would like to mill the whole pocket step by step in z depth, doing all the passes by z depth order. 

(the mill is 40 mm and the pocket is 113 mm wide) 

Just now, Validate said:

I can't use contur because when I enable multiple passes, it will start with ramping down to full z depth in the first pass, and then move on to the next pass and ramp down to that in full z depth. I would like to mill the whole pocket step by step in z depth, doing all the passes by z depth order. 

(the mill is 40 mm and the pocket is 113 mm wide) 

You can do this with contour, ramp by depth would be selected instead of by angle.

37 minutes ago, Validate said:

I mean how do I make it cut the same Z in both passes at the same time before moving on to the next Z depth. Like showed in the picture, I don't want it to go full z depth in the first pass because of chip evacuation. 

Red marked pocket 1.PNG

You asking for a ramp that by it's very nature means ramp from top to bottom, but you want each depth ramped to a point? Then you will have to do what Leon said do a partial ramp and then transform it or make up chains at each depth and then use incremental on your linking settings and you can do it that way.

1 hour ago, Validate said:

I mean how do I make it cut the same Z in both passes at the same time before moving on to the next Z depth. Like showed in the picture, I don't want it to go full z depth in the first pass because of chip evacuation. 

Red marked pocket 1.PNG

Ramp will not do this, however you can use profile ramp entry to simulate this behavior in 2021+.

Set profile ramp in lead in/lead out and use 2d contour, set only the entry in profile ramp.

On 4/2/2021 at 9:33 AM, Thee Byte™ said:

Here is an example file.

Profile Ramp Example.mcam

I liked the example, I even played with some of the options in "multi Passes" and selected "keep tool down" and I like hoe the tool behaves for the next ramp move and it minimized rapid movements. I got 2021 loaded but still on 2020.

Thanks for sharing

On 4/6/2021 at 9:52 PM, AMCNitro said:

You can ramp down to a depth then do another Ramp from the original depth to the finish depth

How is this achieved without transforming the toolpath? I need 58 ramps down of 0.5 mm each. The whole face (both passes) needs to be cut, before moving on to the next depth.  Thanks

On 4/10/2021 at 5:15 AM, Validate said:

How is this achieved without transforming the toolpath? I need 58 ramps down of 0.5 mm each. The whole face (both passes) needs to be cut, before moving on to the next depth.  Thanks

You ramp from Z0.0 to Z-.5, on the next you go from Z-.5 to Z-1.0, next Z-1.0 to Z-1.5 , you keep going like that until you get to your final depth.