Hello. 
I would like to rough this pocket by ramping all the way down, in multiple stepovers, with a high feed face mill. I cant figure out which feature to use, I am using Mastercam 2021 2D/3D.

Thank you!

Andreas F

Validate

Red marked pocket.PNG

I would just use contour set to ramp with a distance of whatever is recommended for your insert.

• Like 3

I can't use contur because when I enable multiple passes, it will start with ramping down to full z depth in the first pass, and then move on to the next pass and ramp down to that in full z depth. I would like to mill the whole pocket step by step in z depth, doing all the passes by z depth order. 

(the mill is 40 mm and the pocket is 113 mm wide) 

Just now, Validate said:

I can't use contur because when I enable multiple passes, it will start with ramping down to full z depth in the first pass, and then move on to the next pass and ramp down to that in full z depth. I would like to mill the whole pocket step by step in z depth, doing all the passes by z depth order. 

(the mill is 40 mm and the pocket is 113 mm wide) 

You can do this with contour, ramp by depth would be selected instead of by angle.

I mean how do I make it cut the same Z in both passes at the same time before moving on to the next Z depth. Like showed in the picture, I don't want it to go full z depth in the first pass because of chip evacuation. 

Red marked pocket 1.PNG

do the first depth then transform it in z

I did a part using transform to plunge rough then clean the walls in steps. It worked good

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Validate said:

I mean how do I make it cut the same Z in both passes at the same time before moving on to the next Z depth. Like showed in the picture, I don't want it to go full z depth in the first pass because of chip evacuation. 

Red marked pocket 1.PNG

You asking for a ramp that by it's very nature means ramp from top to bottom, but you want each depth ramped to a point? Then you will have to do what Leon said do a partial ramp and then transform it or make up chains at each depth and then use incremental on your linking settings and you can do it that way.

1 hour ago, Validate said:

Red marked pocket 1.PNG

Ramp will not do this, however you can use profile ramp entry to simulate this behavior in 2021+.

Set profile ramp in lead in/lead out and use 2d contour, set only the entry in profile ramp.

Thanks for the help! I managed to get it done by creating a toolpath that with 2 muliti passes went down 0.25 mm in Z, then copying it all the way down in the pocket. 10 min roughing time of a 500 (L)*113 (W) *30 (D) mm pocket.  

1.PNG

2.PNG

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 9:33 AM, Thee Byte™ said:

Here is an example file.

Profile Ramp Example.mcam

I liked the example, I even played with some of the options in "multi Passes" and selected "keep tool down" and I like hoe the tool behaves for the next ramp move and it minimized rapid movements. I got 2021 loaded but still on 2020.

Thanks for sharing

You're welcome. 👍

You can ramp down to a depth then do another Ramp from the original depth to the finish depth

On 4/6/2021 at 3:52 PM, AMCNitro said:

You can ramp down to a depth then do another Ramp from the original depth to the finish depth

That's what I normally do as well. 👍

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 9:52 PM, AMCNitro said:

How is this achieved without transforming the toolpath? I need 58 ramps down of 0.5 mm each. The whole face (both passes) needs to be cut, before moving on to the next depth.  Thanks

2 hours ago, Thee Byte™ said:

Yes, I saw that file. I need it to ramp 100% of time when cutting, and I couldn't make it work with that method. Anyways it is done, so will be cutting a lot of parts now .. 🤪

On 4/10/2021 at 5:15 AM, Validate said:

How is this achieved without transforming the toolpath? I need 58 ramps down of 0.5 mm each. The whole face (both passes) needs to be cut, before moving on to the next depth.  Thanks

You ramp from Z0.0 to Z-.5, on the next you go from Z-.5 to Z-1.0, next Z-1.0 to Z-1.5 , you keep going like that until you get to your final depth.