Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Just Cheking In, Starting a new Program Today

CNC_Newbie

Well I just got a new part to program. It's one of the worst parts we run due to the future will not hold it into place. You have to use a stick and hold it down on some of the cuts and this means lots of chatter and grinding.

I plan to redo the whole setuo, fixture and all.   The program will not be that hard, that is to make the toolpaths.  I'll be stepping foot into actually posting programs via our post and working through any of the changes that need to be made to make it run on the machine without days if hand edited code to make it work on the machine.

It's going to be a fun week and I hope when I get stumped, I have you fine folks to help me figure it out.

Also I need to learn how to program this in 3+2 rather than 5 Axis ( boo... lol)

What program option would you use? Contour?   Do you folks have any tutorial links to doing 3 or 3+2 axis programming that you recommend?

.Hope all of you are doing well and have a great weekend.  T

9E4196F1-677D-4DFD-9F6A-7A639DB4B450.jpeg

7 hours ago, CNC_Newbie said:

Well I just got a new part to program. It's one of the worst parts we run due to the future will not hold it into place. You have to use a stick and hold it down on some of the cuts and this means lots of chatter and grinding.

I plan to redo the whole setuo, fixture and all.   The program will not be that hard, that is to make the toolpaths.  I'll be stepping foot into actually posting programs via our post and working through any of the changes that need to be made to make it run on the machine without days if hand edited code to make it work on the machine.

It's going to be a fun week and I hope when I get stumped, I have you fine folks to help me figure it out.

Also I need to learn how to program this in 3+2 rather than 5 Axis ( boo... lol)

What program option would you use? Contour?   Do you folks have any tutorial links to doing 3 or 3+2 axis programming that you recommend?

.Hope all of you are doing well and have a great weekend.  T

9E4196F1-677D-4DFD-9F6A-7A639DB4B450.jpeg

Think about Tabs that stay until the very last operation. I would probably do a Rough/Rough +.05 depending on the material. Then I would finish the ID making a Male Master to rest the part unto. Then I would finish the Outside and get to the outside trim area up to my tabs place in areas that don't require me to machine them together. Then I would place a clamp on the part and cut off the tabs. The part would come off completely de burred, Throw in a Vibratory finishing machine with the correct media for the materiel and have a nice day. I think the backside has holes and you can use them if you choose to help hold the part to cut off the tabs, but without seeing everything I think the clamps give you a good option.

7 hours ago, CNC_Newbie said:

If the part is thin metal on a fixture, and the parts is vibrating in areas where there aren't many clamps,

prefer to use double sided tape for these applications, don't forget to think about how you will get it off after.

When you see vibration, considering reducing your rpm or increasing your feed, you might also change your tool diameter to a smaller size.

On 4/3/2021 at 8:21 AM, crazy^millman said:

Think about Tabs that stay until the very last operation. I would probably do a Rough/Rough +.05 depending on the material. Then I would finish the ID making a Male Master to rest the part unto. Then I would finish the Outside and get to the outside trim area up to my tabs place in areas that don't require me to machine them together. Then I would place a clamp on the part and cut off the tabs. The part would come off completely de burred, Throw in a Vibratory finishing machine with the correct media for the materiel and have a nice day. I think the backside has holes and you can use them if you choose to help hold the part to cut off the tabs, but without seeing everything I think the clamps give you a good option.

Hi Ron,

These parts are all plastic. Tom will be holding the part down on a 3D surfaced vacuum fixture, which is the part I think he is talking about making to hold the vacuum formed parts, prior to trimming.  I do think "tabbing" the part could be a good idea, but the thing which will really help is better vacuum. I would suggest some gasketing material, and some vacuum channels, to make sure the fixture itself is pulling enough vacuum pressure to keep the part in place.

I think you're considering cutting the whole part from a billet, which Tom really won't need to do for any of his parts, except for making the actual vacuum fixture.

He will likely be gluing together some blocks like "renshape", and then mounting all of that on a flat aluminum tooling plate. (These plates typically have several "chambers" or rectangles cut into the bottom, below the renshape blocks.)

When we did this at Boeing, after we had glued and bolted the renshape blocks to the tooling plate, we setup the vacuum fixture on the machine, and turned on the vacuum to hold it in place. We then roughed and finished the 3D surfaces. Our final operation was taking a .125" diameter aircraft drill (6" Flute length), and drilling all of our vacuum holes "through" the fixture surfaces, to establish the vacuum holes to hold the part. (We typically drilled these final holes with the vacuum "off", since the weight of the fixture plate and renshape blocks was enough to hold the part in place, and there was barely any tool pressure.

Hey Tom,

Do I sense the need for another Saturday YouTube Live Session?