Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiple Surface

jean

I have a form block that we are going to manufacture which is currently being programmed.. The part is sheet metal with multiple blended surfaces its countered and twisted basically trim for interior! I tried to drive multiple surfaces in flow line but the all chain/flow different.. other than driving each surface individually what are another options? i tried to build one surface from all but had no luck the surface wouldn't come in right! when I over layer the created surface against solid there where differences

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, jean said:

I have a form block that we are going to manufacture which is currently being programmed.. The part is sheet metal with multiple blended surfaces its countered and twisted basically trim for interior! I tried to drive multiple surfaces in flow line but the all chain/flow different.. other than driving each surface individually what are another options? i tried to build one surface from all but had no luck the surface wouldn't come in right! when I over layer the created surface against solid there where differences

Thanks in advance

If you use Mastercam 2022 Beta, overflow UV could be utilized to merge surface, since 2021, the reflow uv function can edit the flow direction.

1 hour ago, JParis said:

In cases like this I will create a flat surface above, run a flowline on that, then project that toolpath down onto the surfaces I need to cut...

7 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Could you post a simple example of this technique?

Surface finish project is a great solution here, if you don't want to spend time re-drawing the surface.

2 hours ago, JParis said:

In cases like this I will create a flat surface above, run a flowline on that, then project that toolpath down onto the surfaces I need to cut...

Man that worked like a champ! had to figure parameters out a little bit but I got it to drive nice and smooth! what else is projection good at based on your use of the tool path..

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, JoshC said:

you could try a 3d blend toolpath, that may do a fine job

When I get some time ill play with this tool path! anything I should be aware geometry wise?

Thank you

On 4/5/2021 at 12:14 PM, JB7280 said:

Could you post a simple example of this technique?

I provided two cases, an across cut and a swept cut, both using flowline and project, I tilted the uv on the target surfaces to demonstrate the difference.

You will notice the source operations are locked, since we wont be posting them.

Flowline to Project Example.mcam

On 4/5/2021 at 10:07 AM, JParis said:

is there any way to reduce the amount of return  I've played around with Surface parameters in tool path and the changes that occur still don't reduce the amount of return.

projected surface.PNG

17 hours ago, Thee Byte™ said:

I provided two cases, an across cut and a swept cut, both using flowline and project, I tilted the uv on the target surfaces to demonstrate the difference.

You will notice the source operations are locked, since we wont be posting them.

Flowline to Project Example.mcam

So I was able to make some toolpaths, and basically replicate your examples, but I'm not following why do this with 2 toolpaths?  Is this an oversimplified example, where in "real world" you'd be using this on a more complex surface where you aren't able to get a clean toolpath?

I noticed you used the older "Surface Finish Project" as opposed to the newer "Surface High Speed (Project)"  Any reason for that choice?  It seemed that I was able to do the same with both.

9 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

So I was able to make some toolpaths, and basically replicate your examples, but I'm not following why do this with 2 toolpaths?  Is this an oversimplified example, where in "real world" you'd be using this on a more complex surface where you aren't able to get a clean toolpath?

Yes.

10 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I noticed you used the older "Surface Finish Project" as opposed to the newer "Surface High Speed (Project)"  Any reason for that choice? 

No.

1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

Here is an example of a collection of surfaces built using the result of a stock model, then simplified using decimate mesh in 2022 and converted to surfaces in a chook, 

https://github.com/theebyte/Jagged-Mesh-Surface-Body-Flowline-to-Project-Example

I had to share on git due to file size

The example is still 2021

42 minutes ago, Thee Byte™ said:

Here is an example of a collection of surfaces built using the result of a stock model, then simplified using decimate mesh in 2022 and converted to surfaces in a chook, 

https://github.com/theebyte/Jagged-Mesh-Surface-Body-Flowline-to-Project-Example

That's pretty cool.  Knowing how to use Project, I can think of a few times in the past where it would've been pretty useful.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Thee Byte™ said:

Result of a stock model:____- How do you obtain this?

Then simplified using decimate mesh: ___is this only in 2022? Is it a new option in the surface ribbon?

converted to surfaces in a chook: ________does this chook come with every version after 2021

Can you do this process on PMESH model that in my case sometimes the only thing customer provides!

Thanks in advance

7 minutes ago, jean said:

Result of a stock model:____- How do you obtain this?

Right Click -> Mill Toolpaths -> StockModel Convert To Stl

8 minutes ago, jean said:

Then simplified using decimate mesh: ___is this only in 2022? Is it a new option in the surface ribbon?

Yes.

8 minutes ago, jean said:

converted to surfaces in a chook: ________does this chook come with every version after 2021

No, this is not supported by Mastercam.

9 minutes ago, jean said:

Can you do this process on PMESH model that in my case sometimes the only thing customer provides!

Yes, a Pmesh could always be saved out as an stl file anyway by selecting save some and choosing ,stl as the file type.